I'd be a fan of this pick. One of the better players available at #21 and fills a need.

21. Orioles

Baltimore Orioles
Some scouts compare North Carolina shortstop Logan Warmoth to current Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy, and the two have overall similar profiles. If the Orioles don’t zig and go prep outfielder as some clubs believe, Warmoth makes total sense as a high-floor college performer.

Pick: Logan Warmoth, ss, North Carolina | 

bba_video_icon_red
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-mlb-draft-3-0-major-league-baseball-draft/#kxWTZc7ER1HirvRC.99

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Need to adopt Ravens approach. They saw a definite weakness and addressed it with defense with their premium picks. Defense killed us down the stretch last season. Remember Pittsburgh and New England? The Orioles need to adopt the same approach with pitching. Go out and get it with your premium picks. Grab the guy who falls to you. There's always one or two of those guys. Fill your other needs in later rounds.

Problem is that the Ravens players can have an immediate impact. O's players take up to 1-5 years to get to the bigs, if they ever do make it to the bigs (Hobgood)

On 5/23/2017 at 10:01 AM, Slade-OH said:

I'd be a fan of this pick. One of the better players available at #21 and fills a need.

21. Orioles

Baltimore Orioles
Some scouts compare North Carolina shortstop Logan Warmoth to current Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy, and the two have overall similar profiles. If the Orioles don’t zig and go prep outfielder as some clubs believe, Warmoth makes total sense as a high-floor college performer.

Pick: Logan Warmoth, ss, North Carolina | 

bba_video_icon_red
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-mlb-draft-3-0-major-league-baseball-draft/#kxWTZc7ER1HirvRC.99

Seems like a DJ Stewart type pick.  Picking a low ceiling, high floor guy, at a position of need.  Our organization finally has some position prospects.  Starting pitching needs to be addressed.  

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Seems like a DJ Stewart type pick.  Picking a low ceiling, high floor guy, at a position of need.  Our organization finally has some position prospects.  Starting pitching needs to be addressed.  

I'd be very disappointed it this were our pick.

On 5/26/2017 at 3:34 PM, Tryptamine said:

Baseball America Mock Draft 3.5 just came out

Mock Draft 3.5

Watched several innings of Canning's start yesterday against Texas.  First impression is that he has an outstanding curveball; hard, biting, 12 to 6.  Even more impressive was the excellent command of the curveball; he seemed to be able to throw it for strikes whenever he wanted.  Fastball looked decent, not overpowering though and seemed a little straight (but that's hard to tell from the camera angle).  Changeup was definitely his 3rd best pitch, and he didn't throw it much.  Overall, I think he would be a safe pick...probably could move through the system quickly but I'm not sure how much of an upside he has in my opinion.  I realize it was a small sample size, but his scouting reports seem to back up what I was seeing.  Personally, I'd prefer someone with higher upside for our 1st round pick, but he wouldn't be a terrible pick if that's who we take.

On 6/3/2017 at 2:02 PM, Otter said:

Watched several innings of Canning's start yesterday against Texas.  First impression is that he has an outstanding curveball; hard, biting, 12 to 6.  Even more impressive was the excellent command of the curveball; he seemed to be able to throw it for strikes whenever he wanted.  Fastball looked decent, not overpowering though and seemed a little straight (but that's hard to tell from the camera angle).  Changeup was definitely his 3rd best pitch, and he didn't throw it much.  Overall, I think he would be a safe pick...probably could move through the system quickly but I'm not sure how much of an upside he has in my opinion.  I realize it was a small sample size, but his scouting reports seem to back up what I was seeing.  Personally, I'd prefer someone with higher upside for our 1st round pick, but he wouldn't be a terrible pick if that's who we take.

The MLB.com mock has them taking another guy entirely, though it mentions that Warmoth is in consideration.

21. Orioles: Jake Burger, 3B, Missouri State

The Orioles continue to be associated with college bats. At this point, that's either Burger and his power or perhaps North Carolina shortstop Logan Warmoth.

For the record, Baseball America has Burger off the board when the O's draft, having gone to the Mariners at 17.

I don't really think there's a wrong way to go... the organization needs prospects on both sides. Draft the best overall talent on the board at 21 and don't look back.

56 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

The MLB.com mock has them taking another guy entirely, though it mentions that Warmoth is in consideration.

21. Orioles: Jake Burger, 3B, Missouri State

The Orioles continue to be associated with college bats. At this point, that's either Burger and his power or perhaps North Carolina shortstop Logan Warmoth.

For the record, Baseball America has Burger off the board when the O's draft, having gone to the Mariners at 17.

I don't really think there's a wrong way to go... the organization needs prospects on both sides. Draft the best overall talent on the board at 21 and don't look back.

Burger is going to be a first baseman, I hope we go a different direction.

4 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I'm in the "best overall talent" camp. I don't believe they should draft for a particular position. As to who that is at 21... who knows.

23 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I agree, I've watched several of Burger's games in the Regionals and was not impressed.  He reminds me of a chubby Vlad Guerrero; swinging at pitches in the dirt and over his head.  To his credit, he seems to be able to make contact or at least foul off a lot of these pitches outside the zone.  One at bat, he took a defensive hack at a ball literally at eye level and outside, but was still able to flick it just short of the wall to the opposite field.  It's obvious he's got plus power, but I'm not sure that approach will work in the majors, or even the high minors.  And his defense appeared below average; I agree with you that's he probably a 1B/DH in the pros.  And we don't need any more 1B/DH types...

I've also seen a few of Warmoth's games, and he seemed ok but didn't really look like a first round talent.  For those who follow the draft more closely, is the college pool of talent very shallow this year?  From watching Canning, Burger, and Warmoth the past couple weeks they don't really seem like 1st round talents.

1 hour ago, Otter said:

I agree, I've watched several of Burger's games in the Regionals and was not impressed.  He reminds me of a chubby Vlad Guerrero; swinging at pitches in the dirt and over his head.  To his credit, he seems to be able to make contact or at least foul off a lot of these pitches outside the zone.  One at bat, he took a defensive hack at a ball literally at eye level and outside, but was still able to flick it just short of the wall to the opposite field.  It's obvious he's got plus power, but I'm not sure that approach will work in the majors, or even the high minors.  And his defense appeared below average; I agree with you that's he probably a 1B/DH in the pros.  And we don't need any more 1B/DH types...

I've also seen a few of Warmoth's games, and he seemed ok but didn't really look like a first round talent.  For those who follow the draft more closely, is the college pool of talent very shallow this year?  From watching Canning, Burger, and Warmoth the past couple weeks they don't really seem like 1st round talents.

The pool of college arms is deep, but not particularly top heavy. The pool of college bats is weird, even the first round prospects have warts.  

Archived