TT: The other shoe has dropped

Tony-OH

My concern is we haven't been a team with much margin for error. In reality most teams are that way. Just look at the Twins the last 3 years. Our bullpen has masked our flaws.

Things can change but they better in a hurry. Britton isn't going to be back anytime soon and who knows how he will be when he is back. You could argue Castillo saved they day Friday and Saturday. 

I am not worried that Manny is struggling but his body language recently hasn't been good. 

Tough stretch of schedule on top of all of this.  

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more thing. DD has publicly talked about being frustrated over Tillman this winter. The other day in High Heat with Chris Russo he talked about Britton coming back too soon. 

I still can't grasp why they allowed Zach to be rushed back. The club's quick start out of the gate should have given them more time. We were 16-8 when Zach came back. 138 games left and he has to be back right away?  

Tillman felt rushed to me as well.  

54 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Excellent post! Time to blow it up and move Machado, Davis and Gausman. I'd listen to offers for Bundy, too. And when Britton returns, send him packing. Time to start building for 2020 and beyond.

Yeah let's trade Machado and Gausman when they're playing at their worst. That's logical. :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the statement in the OP that this is not a good team is an overreaction and premature.    There are reasons to be concerned, but the bottom line is we are 25-20, which is a 90-win pace.    The path to get there has been a little bizarre, but the team is about where I would have expected them to be.    

My biggest regret so far this year has been some of the big leads we've blown.    Losses like yesterday and today are bound to happen at times, but 5 run leads should be safe.   

I think we're overreacting a bit too.  This team is right in the thick of things.  We had bullpen issues that cost us a bunch of close games, SP issues, then just running into a hot team with two hot P's that shut us down.  Some positives,

• Asher has solidified the bullpen.  Asher has been awesome in 1+ IP stints that has allowed the bullpen to take a breath and compose itself.  The back end is now rested and order seems to be restored.  Last year we had a back end of Givens, Brach, Britton, with O'day hurt.  This year we have a back end of Givens, O'day, Brach with Britton hurt.  We will be alright.  
  • Ynoa, Verrett and Hart will all be back real soon.  Ynoa will take over for Ubaldo if he looks good after his first AAA start since being on the DL.  Verrett will take Wilson's spot as soon as he gets a few innings in at AAA after being on Paternity leave.  Hart should be back and be a little refreshed after we kinda ran him into the ground the previous 3 weeks.  
  • This isn't a big one but Sardinas is an upgrade over Janish.  He gives Buck a pinch runner for late in games.  Janish doesn't offer that.  

The off day is coming at a perfect time for us.  Looks like the whole team was pressing.  You could see Jones was big time with the 3 k's and cutting off Mancini for the ball in the LF gap.  Pay attention to Ynoa and Verret's next outings.  They are key in getting rid of Ubaldo.  

1 minute ago, andrewochs615 said:

I see them being like 2 games over .500 in July and 6 -10 games out of a playoff spot and they will still try to buy when they should be selling. 

Everybody's nightmare.

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we're overreacting a bit too.  This team is right in the thick of things.  We had bullpen issues that cost us a bunch of close games, SP issues, then just running into a hot team with two hot P's that shut us down.  Some positives,

• Asher has solidified the bullpen.  Asher has been awesome in 1+ IP stints that has allowed the bullpen to take a breath and compose itself.  The back end is now rested and order seems to be restored.  Last year we had a back end of Givens, Brach, Britton, with O'day hurt.  This year we have a back end of Givens, O'day, Brach with Britton hurt.  We will be alright.  
  • Ynoa, Verrett and Hart will all be back real soon.  Ynoa will take over for Ubaldo if he looks good after his first AAA start since being on the DL.  Verrett will take Wilson's spot as soon as he gets a few innings in at AAA after being on Paternity leave.  Hart should be back and be a little refreshed after we kinda ran him into the ground the previous 3 weeks.  
  • This isn't a big one but Sardinas is an upgrade over Janish.  He gives Buck a pinch runner for late in games.  Janish doesn't offer that.  

The off day is coming at a perfect time for us.  Looks like the whole team was pressing.  You could see Jones was big time with the 3 k's and cutting off Mancini for the ball in the LF gap.  Pay attention to Ynoa and Verret's next outings.  They are key in getting rid of Ubaldo.  

This is a good post.    I do think the back end of our bullpen has gotten the blow it needed and will perform better in the coming weeks.    We should be OK even without Zach for a while, and Zach has been out for 2+ weeks of the 4-6 they said he'd miss, so hopefully he's back by June 15-20 and that will ease a lot of stress on the other three back enders.

I think the one thing this team really needs is for Gausman to start pitching well consistently.     Before the season, I felt our success would hinge on Gausman and Bundy.    Bundy has exceeded my expectations, while Gausman has fallen way short of them.    But there's still time for him to right the ship.

As to Tillman, he's not going to be as good as in the past, but he is a savvy battler and I trust him to manage his way through games and give us a chance to win.    I wish Ubaldo had that capability.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is a good post.    I do think the back end of our bullpen has gotten the blow it needed and will perform better in the coming weeks.    We should be OK even without Zach for a while, and Zach has been out for 2+ weeks of the 4-6 they said he'd miss, so hopefully he's back by June 15-20 and that will ease a lot of stress on the other three back enders.

I know that losing sucks but I think we can say that the bullpen is figured out now.  That's because of Asher.  Obviously DD and Buck feel the same way or Asher would be starting and Ubaldo would be DFA'd.  Ubaldo effects us for just one game basically.  We need the pen every night.  

Ynoa is making his first start back from the DL tomorrow in AAA.  One good start may be all it takes to DFA Ubaldo.  I really don't want to watch Ubaldo in that ballpark vs that line up.  With the off day maybe DD can cook something. up.  

It looks like it's going to be a grind all season with Tillman and that's fine.  He's a vet and has pitched not 100% before.  He'll keep us in games.  Gausman is the guy that needs to really step it up big time.  

With claiming Sardinas off waivers a move has to be made.  That could be Ubaldo and us going with a long bench until a 5th SP is needed.  Anyway seems like Ubaldo, Janish and Wilson could all be moving before Friday's game.  

3 minutes ago, BirdinBama said:

I am worried that Manny has a lousy attitude, and probably doesn't want to be here. He sure looks pathetic at the plate with a very long, bad swing.

Manny needs to get his head out of his butt.

He is struggling at the plate and He is wearing his emotions on his sleeve.

There was no excuse for him not running to first base last night on the dropped third strike.

Further, I question his effort running to first on the routine grounder that He hit earlier in the evening.

In both cases, the fielder was handling a wet ball and He should be doing his best to put pressure on the defense.

IMO, He should have watched some baseball from the bench after that lack of effort.

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Is it seven straight losses in one-run games now? Incredibly frustrating but it shows that we're not being outplayed as badly as the 3-10 record would suggest.

Before the season started I would have happily signed up for 25-20. But they do need to stop the bleeding soon. It would be depressing to be back down to .500 so quickly after starting 22-10. 

3 games at Houston = Stop the bleeding?    Likely not, I'm afraid. 

17 minutes ago, Superbee83 said:

Manny needs to get his head out of his butt.

He is struggling at the plate and He is wearing his emotions on his sleeve.

There was no excuse for him not running to first base last night on the dropped third strike.

Further, I question his effort running to first on the routine grounder that He hit earlier in the evening.

In both cases, the fielder was handling a wet ball and He should be doing his best to put pressure on the defense.

IMO, He should have watched some baseball from the bench after that lack of effort.

I don't want players running as hard as they can on every routine grounder.  They will literally run themselves into the ground over the course of a 162 game season.  Players know when to pick their spots.  Especially considering Manny hurt his knee while running out a play in a meaningless game in TB and then we didn't have him for the playoffs.  

You stay jogging Manny.  I want to watch you play 160 and into the playoff.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't want players running as hard as they can on every routine grounder.  They will literally run themselves into the ground over the course of a 162 game season.  Players know when to pick their spots.  Especially considering Manny hurt his knee while running out a play in a meaningless game in TB and then we didn't have him for the playoffs.  

You stay jogging Manny.  I want to watch you play 160 and into the playoff.  

Really, You don't want him running hard to first in a 2-0 game when the team is struggling?

IMO, He "wasn't picking a spot", He was upset that he hit a routine grounder.

Supposedly Manny had surgery to correct the problem and while what happened in TB was unfortunate,

it is not an excuse to not hustle.

Get your head out of your ass Manny, your beating yourself  and your team with your obvious lack of effort.

Archived