vs. ASTROS, 5/27

OFFNY

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want to be just close enough to justify buying this year's Parra or Pearce at the deadline.

Me too...if not going to win, I want to fall deep and far and force a rebuild or selloff. 

1 minute ago, Chavez Ravine said:

It is the perfect rebuild situation, there is nothing young, good, and cost controlled who will waste their golden years.

A perfect rebuild situation doesn't have multi-year contracts to guys like O'Day, Trumbo and Davis on the books.  At least Hardy and Ubaldo are off the books after this year.

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Man I would kill if this team ever got a pitcher that could pitch like a Sale or Keuchel or Kershaw etc.  We just haven't had that kind of pitcher since Mussina and may never have one again. 

We had that guy in Arrieta before Buck and his pitching coaches tinkered with his mechanics, destroyed his confidence and turned him into a mental basket case. 

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

We had that guy in Arrieta before Buck and his pitching coaches tinkered with his mechanics, destroyed his confidence and turned him into a mental basket case. 

I wonder if the Cubs are making him a basket case now?

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Last i checked Arrieta aint all that good.

Just now, TINSTAAPP said:

Hardly. 

Folks love revisionist history.  Man was a fifth round draft pick for a reason and that reason went beyond signability.

Jake wasn't some machine in the minors mowing down the competition. 

He was a high ceiling guy true but he wasn't anything close to being a lock.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bundy?  Schoop?  Mancini?  Gausman?

You are right, I exaggerated. Bundy and Gausman have the potential to be exceptional. I think Schoop and Mancini just really good. If they all go on a tear together we won't need to rebuild this year.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hardly. 

Folks love revisionist history.  Man was a fifth round draft pick for a reason and that reason went beyond signability.

And good for Jake he finally had his 15 DAYS of fame. :)

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Hardly. 

I think that is what makes this season (so far) interesting, in regards to him. Did he click for a period of time and reach that high ceiling, but now is regressing? Is this just a downtime or blip in his new form? 

With him, we basically still need to see more consistency over a longer period of time before we can really lament that trade. Well, I guess we can still lament it because of the returns and his performance at least over the past two years!

Archived