The Orioles Offense

Uli2001

The O's have passed Boston and are now 7th/15 in runs/game, at 4.67, still .01 below the league average of 4.68.

The league is skewed at the top, with Houston at 6.00, the Yankees at 5.33, and everyone else at 4.87 or below.    Seattle is the next team for us to try to catch, at 4.72.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's my imagination, but I like the approach the Orioles have been taking at the plate over the last few weeks.    I feel like they are working the count better, being more patient and going to right field a lot more.    They produced pretty good numbers in July (5th in runs/game), and are actually leading the league in runs/game since the all-star break (5.58 per game).     And they've done it without being particularly reliant on the home run, though of course, that remains an important part of their offensive game. 

There's something else I'd like to say, for Roy Firestone's benefit: the Orioles lead the league in their success rate in getting runners home from 3B with less than two out, and by a good margin.   They are successful 57% of the time; league average is 50%; no other AL team is above 54%.    So the next time the O's fail in that situation and Roy complains about how we're terrible in those situations, just remember -- he's wrong.    

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe it's my imagination, but I like the approach the Orioles have been taking at the plate over the last few weeks.    I feel like they are working the count better, being more patient and going to right field a lot more.    They produced pretty good numbers in July (5th in runs/game), and are actually leading the league in runs/game since the all-star break (5.58 per game).     And they've done it without being particularly reliant on the home run, though of course, that remains an important part of their offensive game. 

There's something else I'd like to say, for Roy Firestone's benefit: the Orioles lead the league in their success rate in getting runners home from 3B with less than two out, and by a good margin.   They are successful 57% of the time; league average is 50%; no other AL team is above 54%.    So the next time the O's fail in that situation and Roy complains about how we're terrible in those situations, just remember -- he's wrong.    

I really am loving the balls headed to RF. I hope it holds and it seems like a qualitative adjustment for improvement. 

The realist in me expects the hackers to return, but right now the approaches are a thing of beauty. The younger players especially give me hope, as maybe they're not too set in their ways yet (Manny, schoop, Mancini).

o

(vs. TIGERS, 8/03)

The Orioles were trailing by a score of 7-0 in the middle of the 3rd inning.

In spite of that, they somehow managed bring the potential tying run to the plate in the bottom of the 8th.

Good job by the offense for coming back, the team overall for not quitting in a seemingly hopeless game, and the bullpen for holding the fort (Miguel Angel Castro, in particular.)

o

13 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. TIGERS, 8/03)

The Orioles were trailing by a score of 7-0 in the middle of the 3rd inning.

In spite of that, they somehow managed bring the potential tying run to the plate in the bottom of the 8th.

Good job by the offense for coming back, the team overall for not quitting in a seemingly hopeless game, and the bullpen for holding the fort (Miguel Angel Castro, in particular.)

o

They were 0 for 6 with runners in scoring position, though. They settled too often for one run and missed out on a big inning.

11 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

They were 0 for 6 with runners in scoring position, though. They settled too often for one run and missed out on a big inning.

o

I think that it's expecting/asking a lot from a team to score more than 5 runs in any particular game, especially after having been down 7-0 in the 3rd inning.

Hence, I don't believe the fact that they went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position really exhibits offensive failure/futility.

They were down 7-0 very early in the game, they scored 5 runs to give themselves a reasonably good chance to win the game late, and I don't believe that there is much to critique about the offense tonight other than that.

o

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I think that it's expecting/asking a lot from a team to score more than 5 runs in any particular game, especially after having been down 7-0 in the 3rd inning.

Hence, I don't believe the fact that they went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position really exhibits offensive failure/futility.

They were down 7-0 very early in the game, they scored 5 runs to give themselves a reasonably good chance to win the game late, and I don't believe that there is much to critique about the offense tonight other than that.

o

No, don't get me wrong, I think it's actually encouraging that the hitters could put five runs on the board on a night when a lot didn't go right for them. The blame is on the starting pitching and T-Bex's defense for sure.

8 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

They failed to get the big hit, but they did cash in at least two runners who were on 3B with less than two outs (both by Manny).    The team has hit very well with RISP this season, so I won't call them out too much on a night when they still managed to score 5 runs.    

Can we give credit to the hot weather for the Orioles offense being alot better? I could be wrong but it seemed like the offense never had a chance to succeed in the first half due to the bad pitching. The Orioles are getting the ball in the air right now and they all seem to be going over the fence. Chicks dig the long ball baby!

On 8/4/2017 at 8:57 AM, Frobby said:

They failed to get the big hit, but they did cash in at least two runners who were on 3B with less than two outs (both by Manny).    The team has hit very well with RISP this season, so I won't call them out too much on a night when they still managed to score 5 runs.    

What's our RISP number right now? That always scares me a bit when it's due to come crashing back to earth. I know Jones and Mancini have big numbers. 

On 8/3/2017 at 9:37 AM, Frobby said:

Jones wanting to bat leadoff and going oppo has really set the table for everyone else. We just have to keep the same approach on the road. Rickard and Beckham add speed to the lineup. We're going to need to be able to grind out runs in the big ballparks. 

7 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Can we give credit to the hot weather for the Orioles offense being alot better? I could be wrong but it seemed like the offense never had a chance to succeed in the first half due to the bad pitching. The Orioles are getting the ball in the air right now and they all seem to be going over the fence. Chicks dig the long ball baby!

Warning Explicit Ice Cube Language:

Archived