Manny's extreme open stance is killing the O's

wildcard

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case anyone doubts that Manny has opened his stance more this year, here are some comments from Scott Coolbaugh:

“You see the ball all the time, but there are times where when guys are calm and their head is staying still that you’re actually slowing the ball down. That’s what he typically does, but right now he’s just fighting from that extra movement. And he’s trying some things a little differently, I think, that on his own experience of wanting to see the ball better he’s opened up his stance this year more than he had in the past and I think that’s created a little bit more movement. Consequently, he’s trying to get back to where he was a little more square and able to minimize the head movement."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/06/coolbaugh-on-machados-slump.html

On 5/31/2017 at 8:02 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Manny has got caught up in the team "approach."  You hear Bordick talk about passing the baton, what team is he watching?  

When Manny came up he was a line to line hitter that was on pace to break the all time doubles record for a single season.  Now he's trying to be Giancarlo Stanton.  

For how great Manny is he is still just 24.  Impressionable.  Schoop and Manny took well to the Adam Jones/Chris Davis style of hitting.  

People think just because the guy is set to make an absurd amount of money that he still doesn't need vets around him with good approaches.  Manny would be doing Trout/Harper type things if he were on the Red Sox or Yankees.  

DD has had several opportunites to reshape the team.  Now he is boxed in with long term deals to Davis and Trumbo.  The core of Manny, Schoop and Jones are too similar.  

The blame ultimately falls squarely on Manny.  He's good enough now to know the right approach.  He choosing to hit this way.  Buck is the ultimate players manager and at this point I don't think we want to rock the boat too hard with Manny.  

Who knows if these guys would have signed with us, but how different would this team be if Matt Holliday were at DH and Dexter Fowler was in LF/RF?  Heck even Cruz and Markakis.  

A side note, but Bordick is so incredibly frustrating to listen to. It's like he is reading from a book of cliches. 

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

A side note, but Bordick is so incredibly frustrating to listen to. It's like he is reading from a book of cliches. 

I thought their discussion on tonight's giveaway "floppy hat" was right on point, however.  Sometimes you just have to give a fella some time to "work things out".  He'll come out of this and be the fine sportscaster we all expect, IMHO.  But that Thorne guy - sheesh!  :x

14 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Never said he's done. He doesn't fit my definition of a superstar. Good player but not a superstar. Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who does?

Now that is a question that I will wait for the answer to.  Wonder how many players would be ahead of Manny in the
"Superstar Status" and still playing???

Find it interesting that the flyball revolution is working so well for Manny's brother in law Yonder Alonso. Guy is having a monstrous year. It's an approach that is helping many contact hitters this year but hurting guys like Manny and Odor.

Archived