Getting rid of Chris Davis

webbrick2010

Now is not the time to move him.  You'd be selling low.  If he gets hot the rest of the season or the beginning of next season, then you might be able to get someone to eat most of his contract.  

I don't think it's all decline for Davis from here on out.  He will get a little better than what he's shown so far in 2017.  His last few seasons on the deal he probably won't be good, but in the meantime I think he will get better than he's been the last few months.  Better off waiting for him to bounce back and then try to move him, if that's what you want to do.  

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davis at his best was never quite as good as Ryan Howard at his best, but I don't think his floor is ever going to be as low as Howard.  He will probably always be at least a win or two above replacement most seasons, and I doubt he will ever be a negative WAR guy even at the end of his deal (unlike Howard, who was negative WAR 4 out his last 5 years!).  His defense is much better than Howard's ever was except maybe for Howard's rookie season, and he's a smart if not particularly fast baserunner.

So the Ryan Howard fearmongering is a little off base, IMO.  The Davis deal isn't a good deal IMO, but it probably will never be as big an epic fail as Howard's was.  

15 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Now is not the time to move himYou'd be selling low. If he gets hot the rest of the season or the beginning of next season, then you might be able to get someone to eat most of his contract.  

I don't think that it's all decline for Davis from here on out. He will get a little better than what he's shown so far in 2017. His last few seasons on the deal he probably won't be good, but in the meantime I think that he will get better than he's been for the last few months. Better off waiting for him to bounce back and then try to move him, if that's what you want to do.  

o

Davis' solid defense at his position makes his slumps somewhat more bearable for me.

I think that part of the reason why he got the huge contract that he got was for that reason ...... that he can always be counted on on one side of the ball, regardless of whether or not he is hot or is slumping on the other side of it.

Mark Trumbo can't play defense and the Orioles gave him a multi-year contract, but there is a big difference between giving a player 3 years for $37 Million, and giving another 7 years for $161 Million.

o

8 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Davis' solid defense at his position makes his slumps somewhat more bearable for me.

I think that part of the reason why he got the huge contract that he got was for that reason ...... that he can always be counted on on one side of the ball, regardless of whether or not he is hot or is slumping on the other side of it.

Mark Trumbo can't play defense and the Orioles gave him a multi-year contract, but there is a big difference between giving a player 3 years for $37 Million, and giving another 7 years for $161 Million.

o

I don't think the owner keeps up on first base defense.

5 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

While I agree that Davis is a good 1B and way better than Howard, 1B defense is only worth so much.    Mitch Moreland won the Gold Glove last year, was a free agent and is making $5.5 mm this season.   

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Except the conditions in which he signed the contract are not.  You can't take away the fact that ownership was involved in the process.  Any attempt to move Davis would have to be approved by the owner who coveted Davis.

Sure. But I assume we are just talking about what could logically happen here, not what will. If it's the latter, just delete the thread.

IMO here are the top problems with the 2017 offense, worst first:

1. Machado's sub-.700 OPS

2. J. J. Hardy's sub-.600 OPS (ugh)

3. Mark Trumbo's .415 SLG

4. Chris Davis slumping in May.  

I'm not a fan of the tendency to make Davis the whipping boy when there's at least three other guys on this team doing worse things to the offense.  

For the records, here's the rest of my list of offensive problems:

5. Buck refusing to pinch hit Kim in high leverage situations where we could use a guy with good OBP

6. Buck trying to make Rickard a leadoff batter when he can barely maintain a .300+ OBP

7. Castillo's recent injury struggles (love Caleb's 2017 bounceback but there's still clearly a dropoff)

22 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Like your creative thought process. Send both to Red Sox for salary relief and whatever we could reasonably extract from Dombrowski. Maybe both for Sam Travis and a pitcher.

So a light-hitting first base prospect and maybe a pitcher for Chris Davis and Manny Machado. You're crazier than I thought.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the owner keeps up on first base defense.

o

I don't think that it was solely the owner's call, even though he makes the ultimate decision.

If Davis were a lousy defensive 1st baseman, I'm pretty confidant  that  Duquette and Showalter would have managed to convince Angelos not to give him that much money for that many years. 

They each (Showalter and Duquette) may have been skeptical and leaning towards thinking that they gave him too many years for too much money anyway, but if he were lousy on defense, I don't think that the numbers that he got would have realistically been  considered ..... personal favorite of the owner, or not.

o

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Except the conditions in which he signed the contract are not.  You can't take away the fact that ownership was involved in the process.  Any attempt to move Davis would have to be approved by the owner who coveted Davis.

That's for sure. CD is not going anywhere.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

I don't think that it was solely the owner's call, even though he makes the ultimate decision.

If Davis were a lousy defensive 1st baseman, I'm pretty confidant  that  Duquette and Showalter would have managed to convince Angelos not to give him that much money for that many years. 

They each (Showalter and Duquette) may have been skeptical and leaning towards thinking that they gave him too many years for too much money anyway, but if he were lousy on defense, I don't think that the numbers that he got would have realistically been  considered ..... personal favorite of the owner, or not.

o

o

And yes, I do agree that Peter's personal feelings strongly influence decisions of whom to retain and whom to let walk, as it very likely was a major factor in the Orioles' decision to overpay to keep Davis.

However, there comes a point of no return when adding everything up in said decisions, and I believe the fact that they gave defending home run champion Mark Trumbo (whom is lousy at defense) less than half the years and considerably less in annual salary than Davis got.bears a certain amount of testament to that.

o

1 hour ago, FanSince88 said:

IMO here are the top problems with the 2017 offense, worst first:

1. Machado's sub-.700 OPS

2. J. J. Hardy's sub-.600 OPS (ugh)

3. Mark Trumbo's .415 SLG

4. Chris Davis slumping in May.  

I'm not a fan of the tendency to make Davis the whipping boy when there's at least three other guys on this team doing worse things to the offense.  

It's also not the case that Davis slumped all of May; in fact, he had an .824 OPS for the month and led the team in homers and RBI.    But he did have a ridiculous 11 game stretch in which he had a .316 OPS, had one RBI, and struck out 25 times.    He had a good day yesterday and hopefully will head the other direction now.  

o

In regard to the OP's question/suggestion, I'm pretty sure that Davis isn't going anywhere, and I'm also pretty sure that the OP knows it.

But the Orioles have been losing a lot lately (save for their most recent series with the Yankees),  and Davis has been struggling badly, so it was a good time for another pile-on thread.

o

On 5/31/2017 at 8:47 AM, webbrick2010 said:

That's what I'm proposing... Would the Phillies have liked to trade Ryan Howard before his value went to zero? And Ryan Howard was a superior hitter to Davis before falling over the cliff.

What makes you think that ownership, who signed him to that contract, is interested anything back other than Total - Salary - Relief? Total. No prospects. Total. 

Archived