The Official JJ Hardy PA update thread

Aglets

Yea I have to say.    I watched a good chunk of the game last night, and I thought Hardy was actually doing a good job of hitting the ball with authority.  He crushed a double to LF and just overall seemed to be making strong contact.

If you had only seen that game and someone had told you that his OPS on the season was .542................... yea.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Tejada is starting at SS today.   Buck must be following along here.  :)

We should give him the chance to see if he has it in him to approach his best years with the Mets. He's still only 27. Not necessarily to take over as starter, but to allow the infielders to take a productive break more often. Sometimes I wonder if Schoop is half asleep out there and how Hardy avoids exhaustion.

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Day game after a night game.  Hardy hit a fly ball to LF last night that would have been out of OPACY.  Just like Davis' in game one.  This team just is built to only win in homer friendly parks.  

Something in my brain rebels at the idea that this team was "built to win" in any reasonable way, i.e. with a design, the plan and budget and personnel allocations to achieve it, and resolve.

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Something in my brain rebels at the idea that this team was "built to win" in any reasonable way, i.e. with a design, the plan and budget and personnel allocations to achieve it, and resolve.

It certainly seems as if equal weight was put toward keeping the band together.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It certainly seems as if equal weight was put toward keeping the band together.

I used to trashtalk with Phillies phans about their FO's blunders, never thinking that the O's would do something similar. But that was back when MacPhail was putting the team together (the O's) and the first two-three years of Duquette/Buck.

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I used to trashtalk with Phillies phans about their FO's blunders, never thinking that the O's would do something similar. But that was back when MacPhail was putting the team together (the O's) and the first two-three years of Duquette/Buck.

I guess some teams think that is what fans want.

I'd rather they be heartless and win.

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The latter is better for the fans anyway. The baseball season is very long--there's only so much frustration that fans can tolerate no matter how much they like their guys.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I also favor the Bill Belichick approach to building a team.  Easier to do when there is a salary cap, you might look harder at the Chris Davis like contracts before agreeing to terms.  

18 hours ago, LA2 said:

I used to trashtalk with Phillies phans about their FO's blunders, never thinking that the O's would do something similar. 

Did you miss what this team did in 1998-2000?    It appears we will be in the exact spot in July 2017 that we were in July 1998.     If so, I hope our front office won't make the same mistake it did then.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Did you miss what this team did in 1998-2000?    It appears we will be in the exact spot in July 2017 that we were in July 1998.     If so, I hope our front office won't make the same mistake it did then.

The mistake was the people in the FO, and we have the same problem now. Who in ownership is capable of bringing in a talented sabermetric young GM? Or will we get Brady Anderson and it will be worse than 1998

20 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

The mistake was the people in the FO, and we have the same problem now. Who in ownership is capable of bringing in a talented sabermetric young GM? Or will we get Brady Anderson and it will be worse than 1998

So to be clear, you're predicting that we will have more than 14 consecutive losing seasons if and when Brady takes over for Dan?

For the record I actually do think it pretty likely that Brady will be our next GM whenever Dan decides to leave (or is let go).

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

So to be clear, you're predicting that we will have more than 14 consecutive losing seasons if and when Brady takes over for Dan?

For the record I actually do think it pretty likely that Brady will be our next GM whenever Dan decides to leave (or is let go).

I don't think Brady will move us back towards a championship caliber time... and whatever time he spends in the position will just delay improving the franchise.

Brady is the guy that pushed for both the Davis and O'day contracts... all I need to know he isn't the correct guy

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

I don't think Brady will move us back towards a championship caliber time... and whatever time he spends in the position will just delay improving the franchise.

Brady is the guy that pushed for both the Davis and O'day contracts... all I need to know he isn't the correct guy

I do not recall Brady having any role in the Davis deal.     If you have a source for that comment, please share it.

Back on point: Hardy is averaging 3.864 PA per start.    At that rate, if he started every game for the rest of the season, he'd end up with 604 PA.    He's already been benched in 6 of 65 games, so there's no reason at all to think Buck's not going to sit him several more times.     So we really don't need to worry at all about the 600 PA.    It's not going to happen, nor will it be particularly close.     

Archived