"We could trade pick number 74..."

weams

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, weams said:

So that means it increases are total allowable draft pool money by that amount. So if you draft to seniors in the top 10 picks and sign them to $10-20k thst leaves over a million bucks to convince a kid to leave early or to not go to college. 

But I'm blinded by wanting to win now. So if we could toss the pick in for a trade for a Brad Hand type, I'd totally do it. 

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So that means it increases are total allowable draft pool money by that amount. So if you draft to seniors in the top 10 picks and sign them to $10-20k thst leaves over a million bucks to convince a kid to leave early or to not go to college. 

But I'm blinded by wanting to win now. So if we could toss the pick in for a trade for a Brad Hand type, I'd totally do it. 

It increases the allowable draft pool money by $817,695.

I could understand trading the pick if it helped improve the team, but just to shed Ubaldo's salary, I don't think that would really help at this point. Just release him and finally move on, his contract is up at the end of the season.

I know the draft is hit or miss but I think we need to keep the picks we have and try to build the farm up. 

1 minute ago, billw76 said:

I could understand trading the pick if it helped improve the team, but just to shed Ubaldo's salary, I don't think that would really help at this point. Just release him and finally move on, his contract is up at the end of the season.

I know the draft is hit or miss but I think we need to keep the picks we have and try to build the farm up. 

Do you think shedding the salaries of Webb and Matusz helped the team?  Dan thought so.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think shedding the salaries of Webb and Matusz helped the team?  Dan thought so.

So true, and so unfortunate. Dan does some things very well, but his disdain for draft picks has been extremely frustrating.  Trading (selling) high draft picks for the very minimal salary relief from Webb and Matusz just didn't make any sense.  Since it's only 4 days before the draft, I was hoping we'd dodged the bullet this year and Dan wouldn't be selling this pick.  Unfortunately, now I'm worried he's shopping the draft pick in exchange for Ubaldo salary relief.  And selling this year's pick for Ubaldo salary relief would be even more frustrating considering Dan would have given up a first round pick, a second round pick, and approximately $50 million for four terrible years of pitching.

5 minutes ago, Otter said:

So true, and so unfortunate. Dan does some things very well, but his disdain for draft picks has been extremely frustrating.  Trading (selling) high draft picks for the very minimal salary relief from Webb and Matusz just didn't make any sense.  Since it's only 4 days before the draft, I was hoping we'd dodged the bullet this year and Dan wouldn't be selling this pick.  Unfortunately, now I'm worried he's shopping the draft pick in exchange for Ubaldo salary relief.  And selling this year's pick for Ubaldo salary relief would be even more frustrating considering Dan would have given up a first round pick, a second round pick, and approximately $50 million for four terrible years of pitching.

Salary relief can be underrated, if the money saved is put to good use.    

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it helped at all, just like shedding Ubaldos at this point wouldn't. Just release him and eat whats remaining of the contract, no point in giving up the pick and still paying most of whats left just to move him.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Salary relief can be underrated, if the money saved is put to good use.    

I think the ability to absorb other team's bad contracts is much more valuable than being able to pay for a couple of months of a Parra, Pearce or Bourn.

What would you rather have a couple months of one of the above or a second round pick?

7 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I don't think it helped at all, just like shedding Ubaldos at this point wouldn't. Just release him and eat whats remaining of the contract, no point in giving up the pick and still paying most of whats left just to move him.

So you are fine with the Orioles sitting out the trade deadline then? Even if still near the top of the division? How much more than the most the Orioles have ever spent do you think they will go? 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think the ability to absorb other team's bad contracts is much more valuable than being able to pay for a couple of months of a Parra, Pearce or Bourn.

Move the Franchise to Brooklyn then. 

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Stop signing players to overmarket deals.

They overpaid Trumbo and Davis by what 6 million this year?

Exactly.  If they can afford to bid against themselves and give Davis an outrageous $161 million, then why are they scraping for every penny they can find every year in June?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Orioles should trade that it would be with the Cubs. I know Law and a few others think the Cubs are going underslot on #27 or #30 with this HS CFer  who's ranked in the 60's so that they'll have more to spend later in  the draft.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Stop signing players to overmarket deals.

They overpaid Trumbo and Davis by what 6 million this year?

I think that's changing the subject.   

The real question is what's the likely value of the no. 74 pick, and what's the value of what you're getting in return.    Based on this study, it looks like the pick is worth maybe $2.5-3.0 mm: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2013/6/25/4457048/2013-mlb-draft-how-valuable-are-draft-picks

So, if you can get salary relief in excess of that for the pick, it makes sense to do it.

The Orioles employ an economist and I assume one of the things he does is analyses like the one I linked to, only more sophisticated.   

Archived