"We could trade pick number 74..."

weams

7 hours ago, Otter said:

I understand what you're saying, and you're probably right about how the organization views these tradeable picks.  However, I would personally prefer a good prospect that you could find in the 2nd round than $2-3 million dollars.  $3 million dollars to a major league franchise is a drop in the bucket, while the potential upside of a prospect seems to me to be more valuable than a small amount of salary relief.  I also don't buy the excuse that the O's need salary relief this badly if they can throw around Monopoly money to Davis.  I do understand that many 2nd round picks never even make the majors, but for a team with a thin farm system we need all the draft picks we can get.

I'm sorry but it needs to be said....awful easy to make that call when it ain't your 2-3 million dollars. 

Again, I would prefer a good prospect, too, and I understand that 2-3 mil isn't necessarily serious cheese for big Pete, but just saying that it's awfully easy to devalue cold hard cash when it isn't yours...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, billw76 said:

If the Orioles had the opportunity to acquire a dump to receive the 74th pick I'd probably be ok with it, especially if the contract was up at the end of the season. I guess I place a little higher value on draft picks and the farm than some. 

I'd be thrilled to have a better farm.  Thrilled. I do not want the Orioles to drop that pick.  I simply think that if the Orioles are to add a player or two of significance at the deadline, a price will have to be paid. And I do not believe that it will be adding to the payroll.

Archived