vs. NATIONALS, 6/08

OFFNY

1 minute ago, Norfolk orioles said:

What a joke.

After the last two nights I don't want to turn the game off early but this has all the makings of a shellacking.

I want to believe these guys can come back from any deficit, but they're presenting a real challenge to that belief tonight.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

What's the over/under on pitchers being use tonight? I say 5.

I'd throw Asher for 100, then Ubaldo for 100. Don't use any of the bullpen. Just save the bullpen and take the loss. 

1 minute ago, MDK02 said:

I'd throw Asher for 100, then Ubaldo for 100. Don't use any of the bullpen. Just save the bullpen and take the loss. 

Only 100? I'd let them both throw at least 125 pitches, regardless of runs/hits/walks allowed.

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

What is the major league record for pitches in 1 inning? God this is just soooo frustrating.  With even mediocre starters anywhere in the last five years, we win a couple of championships.   Duquette needs to go. 

Bartolo Colon threw 61 pitches before being pulled in the first in info in 1997. Not sure if that is a record. 

There's no reason to think Asher will do better the second time through the lineup. I would bring Jiminez in for the second and leave him there (unless the game gets close). If he gives up 10 runs, so be it. (Davis isn't available since we need him at 3B.)

Just now, tntoriole said:

What is the major league record for pitches in 1 inning? God this is just soooo frustrating.  With even mediocre starters anywhere in the last five years, we win a couple of championships.   Duquette needs to go. 

Duquette couldn't have anticipated that Ubaldo, Asher, Arrieta, Matusz, Wright, and so many others would be as bad in-game as they are. On paper any of them looked somewhat serviceable with a decently high ceiling, before we knew what they were capable of (or not capable of). 

If anyone in the organization deserves blame other than the players themselves, it might be the coaching. We seem to specialize in developing head case pitchers who immediately right the ship when they leave. Very few exceptions who are immune to the psychic "yips rays" transmitted by our coaches. 

Archived