2017 Orioles Draft Tracker

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That was an incredibly poorly written article.  Belinsky's comments about not receiving a compensation pick were ridiculous, given that no compensation is ever allowed for not signing a 4th round pick, whether the physical is passed or failed.  This would have been easily avoided by doing the bare minimum amount of research.  The MLB draft is a focus of Baseball America, and such an obvious mistake is really inexcusable. 

His use of the word "alleged"  is inappropriate and intentionally misleading.  It is not merely alleged - the player did fail the Orioles' physical.  It is an absolute fact. 

He claims a long history of players failing the Orioles' physicals and passing those of other teams, yet lists zero examples.  Those examples would, of course, have shown that the Orioles' physical examination findings have, by and large, proven to be correct. 

Belinsky was lazy and failed to do his homework.  I'm not really familiar with the man's work, but if this is representative of it, Baseball America needs to strongly consider making a change, IMO.

• Upvote 2

On 7/7/2017 at 8:40 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't say I thought it made sense.

I think that at some level ownership wants to spend money on "proven commodities".

I think they believe that there is No Such Thing. As a prospect. 

5 hours ago, Number5 said:

That was an incredibly poorly written article.  Belinsky's comments about not receiving a compensation pick were ridiculous, given that no compensation is ever allowed for not signing a 4th round pick, whether the physical is passed or failed.  This would have been easily avoided by doing the bare minimum amount of research.  The MLB draft is a focus of Baseball America, and such an obvious mistake is really inexcusable. 

His use of the word "alleged"  is inappropriate and intentionally misleading.  It is not merely alleged - the player did fail the Orioles' physical.  It is an absolute fact. 

He claims a long history of players failing the Orioles' physicals and passing those of other teams, yet lists zero examples.  Those examples would, of course, have shown that the Orioles' physical examination findings have, by and large, proven to be correct. 

Belinsky was lazy and failed to do his homework.  I'm not really familiar with the man's work, but if this is representative of it, Baseball America needs to strongly consider making a change, IMO.

All the publications have gotten so poor. And they hire such amateur talent. Very few of them are objective writers either.  I agree. No level of actual work or effort is put forward. It's all "have a take." Even if it stinks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

So we can't hate on the O's for being cheap.  We pretty much used all of our draft pool money again.  Bishop for Conlon seems like a good trade off for us.  

Yep.  Conlon hasn't signed yet right?  Could mean nothing could mean something.  Still very interested in how his story unfolds.

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2017 at 1:51 PM, Tony-OH said:

The one thing no one should question Gary Rajsich on is his ability sign guys. Bishop was a nice fall back option once Conlon failed the physical. 

Just saw that Bishop was an over slot guy. His stats in Frederick aren't particularly good (high WHIP, mediocre ERA, good K's). Does he have upside?

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Just saw that Bishop was an over slot guy. His stats in Frederick aren't particularly good (high WHIP, mediocre ERA, good K's). Does he have upside?

Maybe as a reliever. His stuff is usually underwhelming but he's been able to put up some numbers. the just in walks this year is not encouraging though. Most likely suggests he's not getting as many guys to chase.

On 7/9/2017 at 4:54 PM, weams said:

All the publications have gotten so poor. And they hire such amateur talent. Very few of them are objective writers either.  I agree. No level of actual work or effort is put forward. It's all "have a take." Even if it stinks.

Everyone made their ways behind the great pay wall at the Athletic.

• Upvote 1