Davis injury could be the final nail

FanSince88

I know he's having a "down year" but his OPS is still near .800 and he plays great defense and is an intimidating power threat.  Having his, Trumbo's, and Mancini's bats in the lineup all at once is formidable.  10-day DL but obliques can be tricky and it may be longer.  Plus rehab time in minors.  This could cost us a win or two and dig us even further in the  hole, especially at a time when we're playing beatable teams and need to really make hay to get back in it.  

-Tillman coming back and being unable to pitch effectively was the first nail. (Plenty of clear visual evidence re: his release point that his shoulder is still bothering him. The Orioles are apparently ignoring this, which should surprise no one considering the organization's general lack of ability in being able to diagnose a problem, particularly in regards to its pitchers.)

-O'Day back on the DL is another nail. The bullpen is already in shambles and is now missing 1 of only 3 or 4 of its relatively consistent members.

-Machado is still nowhere to be found offensively.

-Gausman is completely lost.

I'd argue Davis is the least of their problems and in fact we probably won't notice that he's gone if Pedro is able to get a few big hits.

The final nail has long been driven. It's time for Dan to reassess the team realistically and set up for a potential (longshot) run in 2018.

The final nail was going into the season with an injured Tillman, Ubaldo "Box of Chocolates" Jimenez, Wade "Regression to the Mean" Miley, Kevin Gausman and Dylan Bundy with no contingency plan. And no...Asher, Verrett and Ynoa are not contingency plans. They're just organizational depth.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

The final nail was going into the season with an injured Tillman, Ubaldo "Box of Chocolates" Jimenez, Wade "Regression to the Mean" Miley, Kevin Gausman and Dylan Bundy with no contingency plan. And no...Asher, Verrett and Ynoa are not contingency plans. They're just organizational depth.

As happy as I was to see Dan pull off a Gallardo for Smith trade it does seem odd in retrospect given the condition of Tillman's shoulder.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Unless Davis was going into the rotation any injury to a position player doesn't affect us.  Can't win when you're down 6-0 every game in the 3rd.  

With his past shoulder issues I think a move to the bullpen, where he has had some success, would be more likely.

Trumbo and Mancini seem to be decent first basemen defensively and if Davis's absence forces Buck to return to the platooning of Kim and Rickard in LF, it might help to create a different type of offense. The next thing to fear, in that regard, is Adam getting sidelined. (Tejada has the potential to outperform Hardy and Joseph is a decent replacement for Castillo if you look at more than his hitting.)

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

Well on the bright side we'll be seeing more of Kim. :D

Which will get the O's a lot more broadcast time in S. Korea: my friend there says the Korean stations drop Oriole games if he's not in the lineup or when he's subbed for. So I let her use my At-Bat subscription.

Archived