Where would Smoak rank?

If Smoak ends up being our pick, where would his bat rank in our system if we did an early listing?

Would he be 2nd after Wieters? or 3rd after Wieters and Reimold? or 4th after Rowell?

IMHO, immediately behind Wieters... although eventually he should challenge Wieters/Markakis, etc... down the road.

IMHO, immediately behind Wieters... although eventually he should challenge Wieters/Markakis, etc... down the road.

My 2cents (using Baseball AMerica's rankings) place him here:

1. Wieters

2. Liz

3. Smoak

4. Patton

5. Reimold

If I had to guess at next year's ranking, he'd be second behind Wieters, though he could drop to 3rd if BAL grabs a high ceiling signability pick later in the draft.

1. Wieters

2. Liz

3. Smoak

4. Patton

5. Reimold

If I had to guess at next year's ranking, he'd be second behind Wieters, though he could drop to 3rd if BAL grabs a high ceiling signability pick later in the draft.

I would probobly put Arrieta/Tillman up there in place of Patton.

1. Wieters

2. Liz

3. Smoak

4. Patton

5. Reimold

Heading into next season, we would see:

1) Wieters

2) Arrieta

3) Smoak

4) Tillman

In reality, who ever we draft could fall anywhere between 2-4 on the prospect list.

Does it really make a difference where he ranks in our system before he's even taken any minor league ABs? It's pretty artificial IMO.

After he was drafted, Snyder was near the top of our positional player rankings. He has since disappointed.

Then the next year, Rowell was drafted and he was near the top of our positional player rankings. He too has been disappointing thus far.

Then Wieters was drafted and he was at the top. He has fulfilled/exceeded those expectations.

If we draft Smoak, let's see how he fares and then worry about where he ranks in our system.

Does it really make a difference where he ranks in our system before he's even taken any minor league ABs? It's pretty artificial IMO.

After he was drafted, Snyder was near the top of our positional player rankings. He has since disappointed.

Then the next year, Rowell was drafted and he was near the top of our positional player rankings. He too has been disappointing thus far.

Then Wieters was drafted and he was at the top. He has fulfilled/exceeded those expectations.

If we draft Smoak, let's see how he fares and then worry about where he ranks in our system.

We all realize the articial flavor, but it helps some to understand the expectations.

Archived