Where would Smoak rank?

We all realize the articial flavor, but it helps some to understand the expectations.

Does a hypothetical ranking really change expectations?

Any hitter we take at 1.4 should have pretty good potential, so that question could be asked of Smoak, Alvarez, T Beckam, Hosmer, Posey etc., and the answer would probably be the same. They would all probably rank 2nd (amongst the positional players) in our system, behind Wieters and ahead of Rowell/Reimold.

Does a hypothetical ranking really change expectations?

Any hitter we take at 1.4 should have pretty good potential, so that question could be asked of Smoak, Alvarez, T Beckam, Hosmer, Posey etc., and the answer would probably be the same. They would all probably rank 2nd (amongst the positional players) in our system, behind Wieters and ahead of Rowell/Reimold.

Alvarez would rank ahead of Wieters.

Alvarez would rank ahead of Wieters.

No way you can rank Alvarez ahead of Wieters.

When BA does their next Top 100 Prospect list, Matt Wieters will be in the Top 3. After the injury plagued season Alvarez has suffered, his status has taken a step down. More than likely Alvarez won't sign until August due to contract negiotiations and the need to rest his hand.

In time, Alvarez may indeed pass Wieters on the prospect list. But if the list was put together tomorrow, it wouldn't even be close.

When BA does their next Top 100 Prospect list, Matt Wieters will be in the Top 3. After the injury plagued season Alvarez has suffered, his status has taken a step down. More than likely Alvarez won't sign until August due to contract negiotiations and the need to rest his hand.

In time, Alvarez may indeed pass Wieters on the prospect list. But if the list was put together tomorrow, it wouldn't even be close.

I definately agree. If he was right and Alvarez is ranked ahead of Wieters it would be a no-brainer to draft this kid 1:1.

His injury plagued season will have zero effect on his overall ranking. If Wieters ranks ahead it will be because he is a catcher. I thought we were talking solely about the bat.

Had Alvarez been available in last year's draft, his bat would have been ranked ahead of Wieters.

His injury plagued season will have zero effect on his overall ranking. If Wieters ranks ahead it will be because he is a catcher. I thought we were talking solely about the bat.

Had Alvarez been available in last year's draft, his bat would have been ranked ahead of Wieters.

"Zero effect"? Really? If that's the case then why aren't the D-Rays going to take him #1 overall? He clearly was the best player entering the college season and the #1 consensus overall pick. It's not like there is someone else, albeit T. Beckham, Posey, Hosmer or Matusz who has clearly distinguished themselves as the #1 pick like David Price last year.

If the injury didn't effect his status, then what made Alvarez fall from his lofty preseason status at the #1 pick?

"Zero effect"? Really? If that's the case then why aren't the D-Rays going to take him #1 overall? He clearly was the best player entering the college season and the #1 consensus overall pick. It's not like there is someone else, albeit T. Beckham, Posey, Hosmer or Matusz who has clearly distinguished themselves as the #1 pick like David Price last year.

If the injury didn't effect his status, then what made Alvarez fall from his lofty preseason status at the #1 pick?

Well, we were talking about Baseball Americas future ranking of Alvarez as a prospect, not his draft ranking.

Several factors have played into Pedro's posible slippage tomorrow. To start, and to be clear, Beckham and Alvarez were sort of a 1a/1b going into the season -- Alvarez was not a clear-cut #1. Going into the summer, maybe. After Beckham wowed the scouts for two and a half months, not so much.

From there:

1. I don't think anyone anticipated Posey's incredible season;

2. Alvarez missed a chunk of the season with an injury that is known to sap power in the short term but have no lasting effects;

3. Alvarez announced that he would still be demanding $10mio;

4. Beckham came on strong at the end of his season to solidify his case as a potential #1

So now, TAM is looking at a Pedro that they rationally should not knock down at all, realizing how dominant he's been over the past two seasons and the fact that hamate injuries are not lasting injuries. However, they see numbers that are down and two other legit #1 talents -- Beckham because of his tool set and Posey because of his premium position and huge step forward offensively. Now they look at the $10mio pricetag.

I really think it's that simple.

Law was just on ESPN making the Tex comparison and I think he has Smoak ahead of Alvarez.

This is a point that needs to be examined. People are comparing Smoak to Teixeira because he plays 1b, switch hits and hits for power. However, Teixeira was the elite prospect the year he came out. They may be comps, but if I were to predict - based only on what I've heard - I'd say most "experts" don't predict that Smoak will actually be as good as Teixeira.

Alternatively, if people think they are comparable players, he should be as highly rated to every team as he is to Sports Guy.

Am I right?

This is a point that needs to be examined. People are comparing Smoak to Teixeira because he plays 1b, switch hits and hits for power. However, Teixeira was the elite prospect the year he came out. They may be comps, but if I were to predict - based only on what I've heard - I'd say most "experts" don't predict that Smoak will actually be as good as Teixeira.

Alternatively, if people think they are comparable players, he should be as highly rated to every team as he is to Sports Guy.

Am I right?

How many people compared Wieters to Varitek last year because of similar comparisons?

How many people compared Wieters to Varitek last year because of similar comparisons?

A lot, but Weiters' ceiling as a batter is actually higher than Varitek's IMO. Also, he's known to be a leader (like Varitek) and a very good defensive catcher.

With Smoak, I don't doubt that his glove compares. I'm questioning whether his bat compares. If it does, our pick should be a no-brainer. I just get the sense that, while he does have a solid bat, there are real questions about it among scouts - when compared to Tex that is.

Archived