Someone please explain to me...

I don't think it is as easy as you think to fix a batters swing.

I not really compairing them really. I was just pointing out that Beckham is a huge kid for highschool standards and doesn't show that much power (relative since this is coming from a kid that never hit a HR in HS). To me that is a red flag. With someone of Smoak talent possible available I think it would be insane to pass up. I would prefer the O's go to the safer pick and get Smoak.

I'm pretty comfortable with what it takes to work on a swing, especially the 17-19 year old range.

Beckham isn't showing power for two reasons:

1) his weight starts too heavily on his back foot and when he transfers in his stride he throws too much forward too quickly. As a result, his hips fly open too early and he hits off his front foot.

2) His game is not a power game right now. He has been content with spraying line drives (which he has easily accomplished with quick hands and superior hand-eye coordination) and running like mad once he gets on base. It's incredibly effective at the HS level.

Despite his mechanical shortcomings, he has showed the potential for plus-power. He is a coachable athlete with a sky-high tool set. Three years of professional coaching and development, I believe, could do wonders.

I have no problem with anyone who wants Smoak -- he just shouldn't be used as an means to point out perceived shortcomings in T-Bex. The kid can play and, while he may be a greater risk I wouldn't say it's by a huge margin.

Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Oh I am not comparing Smoak to Beckham at all. I understand there is a huge different at ages.

You are probably right about his Beckham's problems. I just don't feel they can be corrected as quickly as saying "Do this, Don't do this". There for I don't want to take the risk of drafting Beckham with Smoak there.

Oh I am not comparing Smoak to Beckham at all. I understand there is a huge different at ages.

You are probably right about his Beckham's problems. I just don't feel they can be corrected as quickly as saying "Do this, Don't do this". There for I don't want to take the risk of drafting Beckham with Smoak there.

Understood. I have some strong feelings about draftees and I realize it isn't always the popular view. I usually take the tool set and skill position over the surer thing. It's not right or wrong, just my preference.

My understanding is that his fastball plays up because of control and top-shelf offspeed stuff. Sounds to me like his upside is Bedard lite and his downside is generic Major league lefty, which sounds pretty good to me.

Would I rather have the big upside tools guy like Beckham or Hosmer or the sure thing college slugger? Sure, but it's not like Matusz is a reach at #4.

gENERIC major league lefty "sounds pretty goood to you?". AT #4 OVERALL.

Archived