Update on who the Rays might pick

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, its always a disaster to end up with the most talented player in the draft :rolleyestf:

As a Rays fan, I'm thrilled. You always go upside first in the draft, especially in a crapshoot like the MLB draft where even sure things can bust.

That said, I can see why someone would be against Beckham as well. As immensely talented as he is, his swing needs a lot of work and there isn't a guarantee he'll stay at SS.

The best case scenario for the O's was Posey going to TB...With that not happening now, we are certainly going to take Matusz.
Why certainly? I don't think Smoak to KC is considered a lock, is it?

Smoak and Matusz are likely still available at #4. I'd be a bit surprised if we go with Matusz over Smoak. Jordan has said something along the lines of "all things being equal, I'd favor the hitter" and there is the great need for positional talent.

Now, maybe Jordan either really likes something about Matusz or dislikes something about Smoak that makes them not very close to equals in his mind and then they'd go with Matusz.

I don't think they are 100% taking him. There still is some posturing going on....

I agree with you. There is nothing in that blog that is an official statement from the Rays that they are going to take Beckham

The Rays will take Griffin (Ga.) High SS Tim Beckham with the top pick in today's draft.
The Rays on Wednesday said they had narrowed the field to Beckham and Florida State catcher Buster Posey.
The draft starts at 2 p.m. and Rays officials will discuss the decision shortly after that. One question is likely to be about rumors, reported by Baseball Prospectus and other web sites, that Posey was seeking a package of $12-million.

Signs definitely point to the Rays avoiding Posey and choosing Beckham, but I don't interpret this blog entry as saying anything 100% definitive

Why certainly? I don't think Smoak to KC is considered a lock, is it?

Smoak and Matusz are likely still available at #4. I'd be a bit surprised if we go with Matusz over Smoak. Jordan has said something along the lines of "all things being equal, I'd favor the hitter" and there is the great need for positional talent.

Now, maybe Jordan either really likes something about Matusz or dislikes something about Smoak that makes them not very close to equals in his mind and then they'd go with Matusz.

BEcause it would give us another option that is better than Matusz and it would give Pitt and KC reason to maybe draft Beckham and see a guy like Alvarez drop.

BEcause it would give us another option that is better than Matusz and it would give Pitt and KC reason to maybe draft Beckham and see a guy like Alvarez drop.
I'm confused, possibly mis-reading your point.

You said that with Beckham going to TB, that we are now certainly going to take Matusz. Am I getting that right?

I don't really understand why that is a certainty. I think Alvarez to Pitt is a lock, but I don't think Smoak to KC is a lock, or that its a lock that we'd take Matusz over Smoak (although certainly possible) if both are available.

I do think we take Matusz 100% if all of Beckham, Alvarez, and Smoak are gone. I don't think we'll be in on Posey or GBeckham or Alonso.

I'd be more excited initially with Smoak but the BA Draft preview I received has Matusz at #2 and Smoak at #8. Then again, it only matters what Jordan, McPhail and their scouts think. If we can get a big bat in Rd 2 and/or 3 it will make the pitcher selection in the 1st a little easier to take. If it's Matusz at #4,I'll hope someone like Dykstra 1B or Darnell 3B are picked at #50.

The best case scenario for the O's was Posey going to TB...With that not happening now, we are certainly going to take Matusz.

Definitely not a bad thing to select Matusz. Hope they find a first baseman in round two if they do.

Archived