Jump to content

Rosenthal: Orioles Uequivocally Plan to be Buyers


Can_of_corn

Recommended Posts

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/trade-deadline-guide-athletics-tigers-orioles-rosenthal-062017?sf90564015=1

Quote

The problem is, the O’s rarely have been sellers since Peter Angelos purchased the club in 1993. They’ve already told at least one rival club unequivocally — much to that club’s surprise — that they again plan to be buyers.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Meh, it's all talk, until there's action.     There's no upside at this point in indicating to other teams that you're anxious to start a sell-off.

Aside of course from striking first and actually selling a piece or two, or establishing a dialog around rough parameters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

I will care on July 20th not in June 20th.  Right now we should not be on either side.  If we are a game or two out in a month then I agree and if we are 10 back in a month and 5 back in Wild card we sell. 

If a good deal is there on June 20th I'd take it.  All these things fall under the umbrella of limited time offers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bpilktree said:

I will care on July 20th not in June 20th.  Right now we should not be on either side.  If we are a game or two out in a month then I agree and if we are 10 back in a month and 5 back in Wild card we sell. 

Let's say we're only a game or two out, but still playing just below .500 baseball -- in other words, nothing changes from right now.   That's when you have a tough decision.   I'd probably advocate being a seller in that situation, on the theory that even if the team has a chance to get into the playoffs because of the mediocrity of the other wild card contenders, it's simply not a team that has a decent chance of making a significant postseason run.    But, there are a lot of nuances to the situation, and rather than trying to anticipate them all now, I'd just wait 30 days and see what the exact situation is.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Aside of course from striking first and actually selling a piece or two, or establishing a dialog around rough parameters.

There's little value to striking first anymore, I think, given how many teams remain in the race - and thus in the market - given the second Wild Card.

Further, one of our most trade-worthy pieces (Britton) still needs to time rebuild his value. And if they'd honestly consider a Manny trade, which I imagine they wouldn't, now wouldn't be a fantastic time to move him, either. Let him hit for a month and hope he corrects the course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Aside of course from striking first and actually selling a piece or two, or establishing a dialog around rough parameters.

There usually is some limited movement in late June, but I think the O's are justified in waiting.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Let's say we're only a game or two out, but still playing just below .500 baseball -- in other words, nothing changes from right now.   That's when you have a tough decision.   I'd probably advocate being a seller in that situation, on the theory that even if the team has a chance to get into the playoffs because of the mediocrity of the other wild card contenders, it's simply not a team that has a decent chance of making a significant postseason run.    But, there are a lot of nuances to the situation, and rather than trying to anticipate them all now, I'd just wait 30 days and see what the exact situation is.    

Honestly, I'd probably stand pat in that situation. Don't buy, don't sell. No one of value's contract is expiring at the end of this season. Trades can be made during the offseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If a good deal is there on June 20th I'd take it.  All these things fall under the umbrella of limited time offers.

No one trades in June sure you always make a trade if you can but nothing happens in June and even early July.  Last year their were only a handful of trades in June and they were Bud Norris Chris Coglin and James Shields. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...