Adeiny Hechavarria

POR

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Reputation is a plus, plus defensive shortstop.  Okay hitter.

Marlins fan on MLBTR thought Sedlock, and Jomar was a good return...I like trade season in almost every way except this one.  

If DD gives up either of those for Hechavarria he needs to be fired. This is exactly the kind of trade we don't need. Why give up prospects for a guy who is not going to help this team all that much, further depleting our nearly barren farm system.

5 minutes ago, billw76 said:

If DD gives up either of those for Hechavarria he needs to be fired. This is exactly the kind of trade we don't need. Why give up prospects for a guy who is not going to help this team all that much, further depleting our nearly barren farm system.

I'm worried what he would have to do to pay for him.

I think Volquez and Koehler are the likeliest Marlins SP if we seek rotation help along with Hechavarria.

It is perhaps the end of the Hardy era if this transaction happens, as Hechavarria has one more year of Arb.  Baseball Reference had him worth 3.8 WAR across 2014-2016.  I'd guess he projects as a 1-1.5 WAR SS for 2018, and he's a little above non-tender consideration, potentially closing off the Orioles 2018 SS opening.

Seeing Ruben Tejada pinch hit for Janish last night was pretty gruesome.

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I think Volquez and Koehler are the likeliest Marlins SP if we seek rotation help along with Hechavarria.

It is perhaps the end of the Hardy era if this transaction happens, as Hechavarria has one more year of Arb.  Baseball Reference had him worth 3.8 WAR across 2014-2016.  I'd guess he projects as a 1-1.5 WAR SS for 2018, and he's a little above non-tender consideration, potentially closing off the Orioles 2018 SS opening.

Do you think having Hechavarria would make a difference?  This team is so poorly contructed...

5 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Volquez would be interesting. He has top of the rotation stuff but isn't super consistent.

What do you guys think it would take to get hechavarria?

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

No thanks.   I'm not sold on either of those guys, but not for Hechavarria. 

I was referencing the Marlins fan.

I think what he would cost would depend on if the Marlins ate some of his salary.  Which Dan might be forced to do.

Trying to upgrade the starting pitching through trades is probably a bad idea, given what we would have to give up to get back anything useful. Still, I can understand why an 86-year-old owner who's calling the shots might be desperate enough to do something like that. (I'm not saying that's how these decisions are being made, just that I'll be able to understand an action that will hurt the team's future if that's how the decision is made.) And, as I keep reminding myself, Peter Angelos owns the team. That's been the problem for over 20 years, and there's a good chance that it still is.

But what's killing this team isn't its weakness at SS, with or without Hardy. Acquiring Hechavarria would be like upgrading the silverware in the Titanic dining room. Trading someone like Sedlock for a slight SS upgrade would be like giving up life preservers to get that nicer cutlery.

If the Orioles acquire Hechavarria, what would happen when JJ returns? Would Flaherty be gone? (Hechavarria has played a little 2B and 3B, but not since 2012.) Would JJ sit? Would Flash stay and JJ be gone?

Archived