Can the Orioles lose 100 this year?

Uli2001

Honestly, they came a lot closer to losing 100 games than I expected. When this team slumped, it really slumped hard, both from mid-May to mid-July (20-39) and at the end (4-19).     As a fan, when a roll like that gets going, it feels like it's never going to end.   

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, they came a lot closer to losing 100 games than I expected. When this team slumped, it really slumped hard, both from mid-May to mid-July (20-39) and at the end (4-19).     As a fan, when a roll like that gets going, it feels like it's never going to end.   

Exactly. The most frustrating aspect of this team is that it has talent (even in the rotation!). But it can't put it all together or be consistent. Outside those two stretches, the Orioles were 51-29, a .638 winning percentage. This has been the story since 2015 basically.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, they came a lot closer to losing 100 games than I expected. When this team slumped, it really slumped hard, both from mid-May to mid-July (20-39) and at the end (4-19).   As a fan, when a roll like that gets going, it feels like it's never going to end.   

o

It feels like it won't end, but you were objective enough to assert that you thought that the Orioles would come closer to a winning season than they would to 100 losses the day that this thread was started, which they did. 

In 2012, the Orioles started out at 29-17, and then slumped badly by going 17-27 over their next 44 games. For me, it felt like it was going to be 2005 all over again. 

Worrying about the team falling flat on their faces like they did this season (and like they appeared headed toward in July of 2012) is understandable. Asking whether or not the team will go 4-32 over their final 36 games and/or if they will lose 100 games when their record is 35-38 after 73 games is (to me) exaggerating the situation. Even the Orioles teams that had 14 consecutive losing seasons never lost 100 games, although they came close in 2001 and in 2009. When this year's team was 35-38, I thought that they could well be headed toward their first losing season since 2011, but I never believed that they would win less than 70 games overall. A team has to be almost monumentally bad to lose 100 games (as was the 1988 team that finished the season at 54-107 with one rainout.

o

Archived