The Orioles Failed Prospect Team

CalvertOsFan

On 6/28/2017 at 2:52 PM, Tony-OH said:

P: Beau Hale - Succumbed to injuries an never made out of AA despite being 14th overall selection (Chase Utley was next pick)

I was looking at the 1st round of the 2000 draft.  It had to have more 1st rounds busts than any other draft.  Adrian Gonzalez was the first pick, Chase Utley and Adam Wainwright were good picks.  Rocco Baldelli was a talented player whose career was cut short by injury.  Dustin McGowan, Aaron Heilman and Kelly Johnson managed to hang on for a long time.  However, the rest of the 1st round was was a disaster.     

The saddest story was Matt Harrington who was pick seven and somehow did not sign a professional contract until 2007 and never appeared in a professional game. There was some serious agent malpractice but an interesting wikipedia page.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

I just said he's incorrect because I listed him. I don't understand why elbren appeared bothered by a guy not being on a list that he was actually on, but you get some of that here. I was simply building on the original list and naming everyone from the Orioles system who had been ranked as a preseason top 100 player by mlb. I put them all in the thread. Figured that would be interesting, as someone asked who was considered a top 100 mlb prospect from the original list. 

lol No one was "bothered" by it.  Don't take things so personally.

My point is that Haynes at least made it to the ML's and had a long career.  It was a pretty terrible career, but he still had one. lol  No one else on that list even comes close.  John Maine had just under 600 IP; that's still 400+ IP less than Haynes.  After Maine, only Loewen (189), Troy Patton (169) and Coppinger (241) had over 100 IP.  The rest of that list either never came close to the ML's or pitched so bad that they couldn't even stick w/ the Orioles ... and that's saying something considering the era most of those prospects came from.

In fact, I think you could make a case for Maine as well.  He had almost 600 IP, 4.45 career ERA, gave up fewer Hits than he had IP, had an almost 2:1 K:BB ratio and he had more Wins that Loses.  Yes, both Maine and Haynes were on the top 100 list at some point but they both still had decently long career's.  If you're going to include both of them, then you may as well include a guy like Matt Wieters.  He is easily one of the most hyped players to come out of our MiL system in the past 15 years.  In fact, I remember more than one person around here calling him things like "Switch Hitting Jesus". lol  He was supposed to be a premium power hitter who was going to hit cleanup for us for years to come.  Instead, he put up a career OPS of .735, career OBP of .316, only had 20+ HR's three times, never more than 23 and never had a 100 RBI season (or a 90 RBI season).  

Yes, he had a decent career, but he didn't even come close to being the hitter that we thought we were getting.

7 hours ago, POR said:

The point is Givens became a decent major league baseball player.  He has no business in this discussion. 

Givens was said to be "untouchable" after the 2016 season, I believe he was getting more trade interest than anyone else in our pen. He's made himself quite an asset for us, I think it could be argued that he's been among our top 5 top performers of the season. Givens is the only guy we can trust to go more than one inning in a tight game. Schoop, Mancini, Brach, Bundy & Givens have probably been our most dependable players day in and day out. I was noting his ranking at SS and then at pitcher, not many make it to the top 10 list at two spots. I was not making an argument for his inclusion.

3 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Givens was said to be "untouchable" after the 2016 season, I believe he was getting more trade interest than anyone else in our pen. He's made himself quite an asset for us, I think it could be argued that he's been among our top 5 top performers of the season. Givens is the only guy we can trust to go more than one inning in a tight game. Schoop, Mancini, Brach, Bundy & Givens have probably been our most dependable players day in and day out. I was noting his ranking at SS and then at pitcher, not many make it to the top 10 list at two spots. I was not making an argument for his inclusion.

And Givens is a born winner, just look at his lifetime record, 16-2. 

Archived