Top Prospect showdown Austin Hays vs Ryan Mountcastle

Luke-OH

Who is the better O's position prospect?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better O's position prospect?

• Austin Hays
    • Ryan Mountcastle

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I actually like him in left a bit more. Out of Mullins and Hays, I think Hays would be better in right, with his arm. Mullins has a decent one, but Hays can flat out sling it.

Hays in RF would be amazing. It will be interesting to see what they do with Mancini and Jones with these two coming up the pipe. 

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

Hays in RF would be amazing. It will be interesting to see what they do with Mancini and Jones with these two coming up the pipe. 

I could see them having Mullins in left, Jones in center, Hays in right, and Mancini DH'ing.

When they want to give Jones a rest, Mullins to center and whoever they have (Santander?) to left.

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

Next year or in 2019? 

I can see it mainly started in the end of next season into 19, after the All Star break/trade deadline depending where the team is.

Mullins missing the time after jumping a level hurt and he still has work to do on the breaking balls.

Hays could be rushed a bit more and might be seen first and a little earlier (early next season if he stays hot), but he should stay in AA for this season and see how he looks once pitchers get a read on him and maybe get him in the AFL and see how he does.

I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to go to see them both in Norfolk next season.

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I can see it mainly started in the end of next season into 19, after the All Star break/trade deadline depending where the team is.

Mullins missing the time after jumping a level hurt and he still has work to do on the breaking balls.

Hays could be rushed a bit more and might be seen first and a little earlier (early next season if he stays hot), but he should stay in AA for this season and see how he looks once pitchers get a read on him and maybe get him in the AFL and see how he does.

I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to go to see them both in Norfolk next season.

I don't either. I'd like to see them in Baltimore if they can help the O's. That would save us $ so we can go out and get some SP. 

47 minutes ago, oceanicvoyage said:

Due to the shift, I don't think second basemen need to be that good defensively. That gives me hope for Mountcastle. Maybe like a Daniel Murphy type.

I know Nats fans who loath Daniel Murphy due to his awful defense. They want the DH in the NL due to how bad he is, and how bad pitchers are at hitting. 

6 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

How do I vote for Keegan Akin?

He's got an argument but I think he doesn't have quite the upside of Hays or Mountcastle. He might be a little closer to the majors than Mountcastle, but not enough to make up for the difference in upside. Plus I tend to go with position players over pitchers all else being equal.

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

He's got an argument but I think he doesn't have quite the upside of Hays or Mountcastle. He might be a little closer to the majors than Mountcastle, but not enough to make up for the difference in upside. Plus I tend to go with position players over pitchers all else being equal.

If Mountcastle had a clear position , I'd agree wholeheartedly.    I think he's a better hitting prospect than Akin is a pitching prospect, but the glove part makes it a much closer call.   

Archived