Detwiler and Jordan

With all the "we trust in Jordan" stuff going on, I was wondering if all the info last year was accurate, in that we were said to be going after Detwiler if Wieters did not fall to us. Seeing as how he has a 5.76 era and 1.76 whip, I'm just wondering if Jordan would have egg all over his face for that pick, and of course that reflects on all the talk of Matusz. If he was that wrong last year,(by the looks of it), I hope they have better scouts this time if indeed they do draft Matusz over all those bats. Those stats are for class A ball. And if reports that Mcphail would have bypassed Weiters is true, then I'm really afraid of what his input into this draft pick really is. P.S. I like Jordan, but his 1st rounders are really shaky.(except weiters who was a no brainer, as every scout in the country said he was great.)

If you are gonna criticize him for wanting Detwiler and him struggling (despite not being with the organization) then you have to give him credit for really wanting Bruce at #13 in 2005 and him exploding (despite not being with the organization).

Pretty shaky logic if you ask me since Detwiler did in fact go #6 to the Nats and was considered as high as #2. One could question Jordan's drafting acumen if Detwiler was considered late first material and he wanted the kid at #5, but not when his peers had the same grade on the kid. I think it is easier to apply the same logic to Jordan's ability to select hitters, see Snyder and Rowell. Although I do recall that Bruce was our guy until the Reds nabbed him. I agree that all this in Jordan we trust stuff gets a little crazy.

Pretty shaky logic if you ask me since Detwiler did in fact go #6 to the Nats and was considered as high as #2. One could question Jordan's drafting acumen if Detwiler was considered late first material and he wanted the kid at #5, but not when his peers had the same grade on the kid. I think it is easier to apply the same logic to Jordan's ability to select hitters, see Snyder and Rowell. Although I do recall that Bruce was our guy until the Reds nabbed him. I agree that all this in Jordan we trust stuff gets a little crazy.

Considering that... perhaps Jordan should be floating propaganda as our picks so as to try and get the guy we really want. Perhaps they are doing that now and don't really want Matusz but are floating that position to confuse the competition? :) If he picks Smoak instead of Matusz maybe we'll know.

Considering that... perhaps Jordan should be floating propaganda as our picks so as to try and get the guy we really want. Perhaps they are doing that now and don't really want Matusz but are floating that position to confuse the competition? :) If he picks Smoak instead of Matusz maybe we'll know.

Possibly. I think Jordan keeps things pretty close to the vest. I'll be happy with Smoak or Matusk.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be all that critical of Jordan, its just that they loved Detwiler last year and seem to love Matusz this year, just comparing. I know they wanted Bruce, and major kudos for that one(if only).. Just don't want interference by the front office on this pick.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be all that critical of Jordan, its just that they loved Detwiler last year and seem to love Matusz this year, just comparing. I know they wanted Bruce, and major kudos for that one(if only).. Just don't want interference by the front office on this pick.

I could be wrong, but that doesn't really seem like AM's style. I'm sure at the beginning of the scouting season he met with Jordan and discussed strategy, and I'm sure he has been involved throughout. But, it seems like AM's style to give a person a job and then get out of the way and let them do it. Especially with someone like Joe Jordan who has shown to be very competent.

Archived