Is Gausman a bust?

JohnD

10 minutes ago, thatbearflies said:

I shared your reaction, to be honest. I didn't feel like he owned his performance enough. I was expecting the usual, "what went wrong?" "Fastball command." But when he said, "just some bad luck," and "I wouldn't take back a single pitch." Even if you executed the pitches in the spots that you wanted them, you don't think some of the pitch choices were poor? I understand that you can't allow yourself to be consumed and dragged down by a poor performance, but if you just shrug this off (at least publicly) my concern is that you are not going to learn. 

Roger Clemens never owned anything, never gave other team credit. That said he was Roger Clemens.  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Roger Clemens never owned anything, never gave other team credit. That said he was Roger Clemens.  

I was doing a signing at a car dealership with Mike Mussina in Cockeysville. Someone asked him to sign a bat and he asked where he should sign it.The person said anywhere.Mussina said I could sign it at the knob so no one could read it.Then he says that was what Clemens would do.Always found that funny.

Just now, Going Underground said:

I was doing a signing at a car dealership with Mike Mussina in Cockeysville. Someone asked him to sign a bat and he asked where he should sign it.The person said anywhere.Mussina said I could sign it at the knob so no one could read it.Then he says that was what Clemens would do.Always found that funny.

Cool story. Clemens is a jackass but roids or not a hell of a pitcher. You can act like he did if you back it up. 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I actually live near Mike Mussina. Occasionally, you see him just out at the grocery store. I've never actually approached him because I've always been conscious of privacy and just wanting to go about your life as opposed to dealing with fans, but he was one of my favorite Orioles.

I see Steve Kline too, but...you know, not much to say there. Maybe ask him why he was so animated on the mound?

1 minute ago, thatbearflies said:

I actually live near Mike Mussina. Occasionally, you see him just out at the grocery store. I've never actually approached him because I've always been conscious of privacy and just wanting to go about your life as opposed to dealing with fans, but he was one of my favorite Orioles.

I see Steve Kline too, but...you know, not much to say there. Maybe ask him why he was so animated on the mound?

Shold ask him about his auto dealership on York Road  autograph signing. Probably does not remember it.Players don't do free signings at dealerships as much or never.

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Shold ask him about his auto dealership on York Road  autograph signing. Probably does not remember it.Players don't do free signings at dealerships as much or never.

I remember getting Jim Palmer's autograph when I was kid and barely knew he we was.  My mom told me to be nice because he was apparently struggling at the time, I had no clue.

Palmer was really nice and I always had a positive impression of him based on that encounter. 

1 hour ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I think more to the point is that he sucks now...surprisingly so given what he did last year. 

This is something people say and I just don't get. What exactly was so special about Gausman last year? Sure his ERA was pretty good, but still, he was 9-12. He's 28-38 in his MLB career.

He generally seems to wilt under pressure. He doesn't look like a top of the rotation guy to me.

Both Matusz and Gausman were supposed to have killer change-ups. Never really saw it from either.  Gausman has no outpitch and his fastball is hittable when it is up no matter how hard he throws it.  

i don't think his margin for error is very high.  

6 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

The bust or not question is a bit of a non sequitor  for me. I think more to the point is that he sucks now...surprisingly so given what he did last year. He didn't show up fat to camp or have a suspicious drop in velocity. Why?

Maybe he's tipping pitches, and the league has figured it out?

42 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

RH are hitting .340 off him. He needs a slider or something other than the change. Throw a cutter at this point. 

Trying to develop the slider helped get him into this year's mess. He apparently can't throw/maintain a good one. 

I guess my thing is when you draft a college pitcher fourth overall youdo it anticipating you got a number one or two starter.  

There is a chance he becomes an elite reliever but that would be a bit of a letdown.  Truth be told aside from a stretch last year his best work has been in the pen. No one was satisfied with that before.

But his inconsistency as a starter coupled with a long track record of not going deep into games isn't what you draft a guy fourth overall for.  It may not put him in bust territory.  But it definitely allows you to question it.

Archived