Orioles 2nd round pick - CF Xavier Avery (HS)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's 74 on scout.com.

The purpose of rebuilding is to acquire/develop good young players for our pitching staff and positions who will be around a good while. By 2010 we are going to have about 15 pitchers on which to make decisions. Matusz will be one of the mix.

Positionally we will have Scott/Reimold, Jones, Markakis in the outfield, and Wieters at C. We have a desparate need at 3B, SS, 2B, and 1B. Picking a finesse pitcher and a light hitting outfielder with these needs is a joke. I think Smoak was better for 1 and I don't believe a raw 180 lb outfiedler is the best player on the board here.

Nothing against the guy. Toolsy athlete types have floundered in our system.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Xavier Avery surely does great charity work in his community, is a responsible driver and loves his momma very, very much. He is also one of the best 5,000 baseball players in the world, something I cannot say for myself. I bow before Xavier Avery.

This would be a good pick for an organization that knows how to teach toolsy HS athletes how to hit.

The Orioles are not that organization.

Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing? Shouldn't Jordan be taking the strengths and weaknesses of our player development people into account when making draft picks?

what do 2nd rounders usually get paid in order to sign?

I haven't read further than this in the thread, yet (but I will in a moment). So if this is addressed, sorry.

Most responsible agents have a formula by which they'll recommend their advisees. To give you a ballpark, figure $600,000. The cost of their chosen school, and other stuff that can be negotiated into the minor league contract will effect this formula. The most notable benefit that effects this, if the athlete is interested, is an agreement to pay for college if the baseball career comes to an end. Also, they can pay for college each fall.

This also means that HS players drafted where he was drafted are a lock to get properly advised to go pro. He sounds like a 'formula' guy who plans to sign if the formula says sign.

Since Avery could switch to football and get his college paid for, anyway, he may negotiate a higher bonus to pass on the 'pay for my college' benefit. I'll throw out a number of $800-900,000 if that's the case.

The article link that Wickedwitch posted in this thread said that someone at #59 last year got $560,000 or something like that.

On one hand, that's a lot of money to invest in a project. Even if he develops, it could take all six years.

On the other hand, they're already assuming their going to spend that money. The alternative in their minds must've been less risk and less potential reward.

I'm warming upto this pick. I don't know anything about these prospects so I'm not going to try to speak intelligantly about them, although I was a little surprised we didn't pick up Smoak or another college bat.

Speed is a great thing to have, ala Chris Gomez scoring from 2nd on a sac fly. In 4-5 years when this guy will presumably be ready to play, we'll surely have the need... for speed.

I didn't see any links in this thread so I thought that I would offer some.

Here's the bio from the UGa Web site, obviously football-oriented. Worth noting is that he was a three-star prospect according to Scout.com, which is good but not great: http://www.georgiadogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8800&ATCLID=1383264

Here's his profile from the 2007 AFLAC all-American team: http://www.aflacallamerican.com/2007/Roster/index.cfm?id=165

During his junior season, he had 5 HRs, 47 steals and hit .668.

Baseball Prospectus projected him as the Braves pick at No. 40:

"It’s certainly no secret that the Braves scout heavily in their own back yard – having the East Cobb program there certainly helps matters. A big projectable pitcher like Marietta’s Zeke Spruill will likely be in the picture, but the Braves could also be hoping that outfielder Xavier Avery could last ten picks after the first round. He’s a bit of a project, but his tools are first-round worthy in the eyes of many."

And here is the Atlanta Constitution Journal story about Avery and other UGA draftees, which says there is there is "a very, very slim chance" of Avery playing college football instead of baseball: http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfbrecruit/entries/2008/06/05/georgia_fb_sign.html

This is from Rivals draft tracker:

The buzz: A 5-star athlete has signed a Letter of Intent to play with Georgia. The No. 24 player in the RivalsHigh 100 actually put up better numbers than the No. 1 pick Tim Beckham.

Comparing numbers for high school hitters doesn't tell you much. You have to know their level of competition for example.

Heck, we drafted Wieters and Mahoney last year. Those two had somewhat similar numbers, but obviously they were not equally regarded. And this is comparing college players from the ACC and Atlantic 10 conferences.

Apparently Xavier Avery is signed to play runningback at the University of Georgia. The first 5 threads off google for his name are all football related. Should the Orioles have drafted someone out of high school who might not be fully committed to baseball?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=47780&season=2008&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d47780%26season%3d2008

*NOTE* I am not sure how to move this thread. It should be in the amateur section instead of on the actual Orioles thread. So, disregard...

I say no. I know this guy is a super star athlete but he hasnt played tough competition in baseball and is signed to play football. AND I know what we have in the majors already shouldn't change your draft strategy too much but we do have a 22 year old in CF who looks like hes the real deal and a 24 year old in RF who is the real deal. Maybe this guy could be a great LF for us in 3-4 years but I don't think he'll be playing center or rf.

Again I know normally you shouldnt consider just your major league roster so much (should focus more on overall system) but Jones is soo young and talented that I don't think this is the best pick for us.

We need a big bat.

Archived