The Nick Markakis 2,000th hit countdown thread

Frobby

On 6/3/2018 at 12:35 PM, Frobby said:

He has been so outspoken on that topic, that I cannot even imagine it as a possibility.     He’s very soft spoken, but has been very firm on that particular topic.    And he’s just not the type to speak out if he doesn’t truly believe it.     

http://www.masnsports.com/orioles-buzz/2018/06/zach-wilt-all-star-game-nod-long-overdue-for-nick-markakis.html

Love to see Nick getting the love.   I’m not sure there ever was a previous year he “deserved” to be an all star due to his performance by the break (in his best season, 2008, his first half was good but not great), but he’s easily one of the best players never to have made the all star game.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/06/markakis-isnt-stressing-over-all-star-status.html

Nick is so....Nick.    His personality has been so consistent since the day he stepped on the field in 2006.    Reading this made me realize how much I miss having him on the O’s.    

I listened to his interview with Hunter and so proud to have had him - such an honorable dude.  I understand why we let him go but in hindsight we could have done better with him.  Hunter asked him the tough question about whether he wishes he had stayed with O's and he gave the most honest assessment.  He said he made the best decision for his family and doesn't regret the decision (obviously) but cherished his time with the O's.  He paid big props to AJ and said he follows him every day still.....  

On 6/11/2018 at 3:04 PM, Frobby said:

Nick is now at 2,137 hits, 212th on the all time list.   In his next 10 hits he’ll pass Wally Moses, Dick Groat, Placido Polanco, Tommy Leach, Ken Griffey Sr., and Ken Boyer.

Top Ten Vet Committee Players Not In Cooperstown (by me)

1. Bill Dahlen
  2. Dick Allen
  3. Lou Whitaker
  4. Kenny Lofton
  5. Bobby Grich
  6. Keith Hernandez
  7. Ken Boyer
  8. Ted Simmons
  9. Billy Pierce
  10. Reggie Smith

If Markakis were on this list, he'd be about 90th right now.  Behind Boyer, Leach, Griffey and Polanco, and ahead of Groat and Moses.

30 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Top Ten Vet Committee Players Not In Cooperstown (by me)

1. Bill Dahlen
  2. Dick Allen
  3. Lou Whitaker
  4. Kenny Lofton
  5. Bobby Grich
  6. Keith Hernandez
  7. Ken Boyer
  8. Ted Simmons
  9. Billy Pierce
  10. Reggie Smith

If Markakis were on this list, he'd be about 90th right now.  Behind Boyer, Leach, Griffey and Polanco, and ahead of Groat and Moses.

Grich should be in. I don’t care if Smith never gets in, disagreeable jerk. Still friends with Reggie Jr. though.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/06/markakis-isnt-stressing-over-all-star-status.html

Nick is so....Nick.    His personality has been so consistent since the day he stepped on the field in 2006.    Reading this made me realize how much I miss having him on the O’s.    

Yeah, pretty even keel. Very rarely saw him visibly upset. Of course, on this board some people would accuse him of not caring enough.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, pretty even keel. Very rarely saw him visibly upset. Of course, on this board some people would accuse him of not caring enough.

Funny, I don’t remember anyone ever saying that about Nick during a game.    He had his critics, but I never heard anyone suggest he wasn’t giving 100%, even though he rarely showed emotion.   

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Funny, I don’t remember anyone ever saying that about Nick during a game.    He had his critics, but I never heard anyone suggest he wasn’t giving 100%, even though he rarely showed emotion.   

That was my point. The claim has been made of other players who don’t show ‘enough’ emotion. It’s a ridiculous assertion and Markakis is an example of someone who gives max effort while not losing control whenever things are bad.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

That was my point. The claim has been made of other players who don’t show ‘enough’ emotion. It’s a ridiculous assertion and Markakis is an example of someone who gives max effort while not losing control whenever things are bad.

I like it when guys don't break their hands punching things.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I like it when guys don't break their hands punching things.

I think it’s hurting Mancini. He already looks to be in his head and he’s been visibly frustrated many times this season. Someone explain how it helps. Or, Davis snapping a bat over his knee during one of his prolific slumps. How about hitting yourself in the head with a bat?

Nick’s two hits against the O’s today raised his total to 2,151, passing Yogi Berra and Ed Konetchy for 204th place all-time.   He’s now 7 hits away from being in the top 200.    In that span he’ll pass Ruben Sierra, Don Mattingly and Magglio Ordonez, and tie Hal Chase.