The Nick Markakis 2,000th hit countdown thread

Frobby

That the Braves picked up Adam Duvall, only entering arbitration, takes a good bite out of their potential Markakis demand going into 2019.

I've always considered an eventual reunion reasonably likely, but before July 31, figured Atlanta would easily out-compete us for his next contract.  Now...who knows, though I think he's played well enough this year that a competitive team will want him for at least one more year.

o

(vs. NATIONALS, 8/05 Through 8/08)

In a crucial 4-game series between the Braves and the Nationals, Nick Markakis just hit a solo home run to give the Braves an early 1-0 lead in the final game of the set.

The Braves have taken 2 out of the first 3 games of the series, plus they started the series 4 and-a-half games ahead of the Nationals in the standings ........ so this 4th and final contest of the series is needed by the Nationals much more than it is by the Braves.

o

Nick collected his 2200th hit in the first game of yesterday’s doubleheader, and now stands at 2201.   In his next ten hits he’ll pass three Willies — Willie Wilson, Willie Randolph and Willie McCovey.

Nick is currently leading the NL in hits, doubles and batting average.   

o

(AUGUST 20th) 

Markakis has a chance for a 100-RBI season for the first time since 2009.

I was at that final game of the season in 2009, when Nick hit a 2-run home run over the rightfield wall in the first inning to push himself over the Century mark (he was at 99 RBI's prior to the game.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200910040.shtml

o

• 2 weeks later...

Nick is in a mild slump, but has reached 2211 hits, tied for 184th on the all time list.    In his next 10 hits he’ll pass Joe Kuhel, Joe DiMaggio, Juan Pierre and Joe Kelley.

Interestingly, DiMaggio accrued his  2214 hits in 13 seasons, and Nick is also in his 13th season.   However, Nick has played 234 more games, and counting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nick got his 2,233rd hit last night, passing Willie Stargell for 175th on the all time list.   With 9 games remaining, Nick has a good chance to pass Mike Schmidt (2,234) and John Olerud (2,239) before the season ends.    Edgar Martinez (2,247) is probably out of reach.   

Nick has also been moving up the doubles list at a good clip, and currently stands 87th all time with 474.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I wouldn't mind a Markakis reunion next season for his veteran presence, consistency, someone to cheer for who the fans know, and as a place-holder for Diaz, Diaz, or Hays. The outfield market is going to be very saturated, curious to see what kind of offers he gets.

So if Diaz and Hays show they are ML ready at the All Star break you are good with releasing Markakis if you can't find a trade partner?  Or moving him into a PH/bench role?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if Diaz and Hays show they are ML ready at the All Star break you are good with releasing Markakis if you can't find a trade partner?  Or moving him into a PH/bench role?

Yep, although depending on how he is hitting, he could get into the 1B/DH mix as well if that happened. Hopefully for Nick's sake he finds a better landing spot but I think free agent corner outfielders are going to be in big trouble this offseason. I don't know what Jones's market will look like.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There’s only been a couple instances when the Orioles decided to give a player their release. Doubt that’s an option. But I’m dubious there’s a reunion with Markakis.

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I wouldn't mind a Markakis reunion next season for his veteran presence, consistency, someone to cheer for who the fans know, and as a place-holder for Diaz, Diaz, or Hays. The outfield market is going to be very saturated, curious to see what kind of offers he gets.

Any reason he can't stay in Atlanta?