5th round pick - Greg Miclat, SS, U of Virginia

At 5-foot-9, 180 pounds, Greg Miclat is an undersized, switch-hitting middle infielder. Typically a plus defender at shortstop, he had arm surgery a year ago and battled a sore shoulder for most of the season. When healthy, Miclat has solid arm strength and plus range, playing with a fearless nature and good instincts. At the plate, he is a slap hitter who uses his speed to put pressure on the defense. He stole 30 bases this season for the Cavaliers.

Looks like we just drafted the heir apparent to Brian Roberts.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At 5-foot-9, 180 pounds, Greg Miclat is an undersized, switch-hitting middle infielder. Typically a plus defender at shortstop, he had arm surgery a year ago and battled a sore shoulder for most of the season. When healthy, Miclat has solid arm strength and plus range, playing with a fearless nature and good instincts. At the plate, he is a slap hitter who uses his speed to put pressure on the defense. He stole 30 bases this season for the Cavaliers.

I'm officially disappointed... and not just with this pick. As always, let's hope it works out, but yikes. :(

a faster Fahey?

This is getting downright silly. It's like they plan to field a team of slap-hitting guys under 5'9" who can run really, really fast. I feel like I've read the same player description 3 times, just the name at the front gets changed.

Pretty much the only hitters we can develop come from idiot-proof top ten draft picks. Its easy to see why our team struggles year after year while teams like the Braves flourish. If you can't draft quality players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, you will always struggle.

The problem is that outside of the first 10 picks . . . the way teams project these guys is just so variable and none are accurate. None of these picks are severe over reaches.

I do hope that we get Adrian Nieto in the 6th.

Archived