Santander

OriolesMagic83

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

I asked this in another thread re: Santander.. 

Do the rules change when crossing seasons?  That is, would he be optional after 46 days next season?  That's the vibe I get from most of the discussion.  Where this provides confusion for me is that I thought even if he had crossed the 90 day mark in 2017, we would have had to keep him on the 25 all year.  Similarly, we never optioned Rickard or Macfarland after they started on the roster day 1 and passed the 90 day mark.

Yeah, the rules are more lenient when a guy doesn't hit 90 days in his first year. I don't know of any Rule 5 who has actually been retained in the second year and subsequently optioned, but that is the rule.

• Upvote 1

I asked this in another thread re: Santander.. 

Do the rules change when crossing seasons?  That is, would he be optional after 46 days next season?  That's the vibe I get from most of the discussion.  Where this provides confusion for me is that I thought even if he had crossed the 90 day mark in 2017, we would have had to keep him on the 25 all year.  Similarly, we never optioned Rickard or Macfarland after they started on the roster day 1 and passed the 90 day mark.

I think and may be wrong that because he would have spent an entire year with the team that rule is waived. You have to spend a year with a team and technically he did. 

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Flaherty cannot be optioned as he has more than 5 years of service time.

Got it, thanks.  My point still stands.  With Beckham and Hardy, Tejada would be largely redundant.  If it's one or the other, Flash being a LHB makes him the one to keep IMO.  Their offensive productions are similar btw, so I really don't get the argument that we should keep Tejada because "he can actually hit."

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, the rules are more lenient when a guy doesn't hit 90 days in his first year. I don't know of any Rule 5 who has actually been retained in the second year and subsequently optioned, but that is the rule.

Got it.  Thanks guys.

That's sort of what I was alluding to in my question as to whether the rules changed.

Thanks again!

Got it, thanks.  My point still stands.  With Beckham and Hardy, Tejada would be largely redundant.  If it's one or the other, Flash being a LHB makes him the one to keep IMO.  Their offensive productions are similar btw, so I really don't get the argument that we should keep Tejada because "he can actually hit."

Actually there is a caveat, a player cannot be optioned without consent. So Flaherty could agree to it with a handshake deal that he would be back up. He wouldn't actually lose service time if his minor league stay was brief enough.

Just now, wildcard said:

He can be optioned with his permission.    He may give it with the promise that he gets called up Sept 1st.

I mean that makes sense. He has basically been out all year. Not like he would play much anyway. 

No contract issues right?? He still gets paid?

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I hope Flaherty would be a team player.  Many clubs would have DFA-ed him a few years ago. 

I know he had been a team guy and the Orioles want to be loyal but it isn't the end of the world if he leaves. His biggest value to me is his glove at 3B.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So Flaherty to AAA?

Tejada gone 

Gentry gone- who I think with expanded rosters is a great fit. I actually think this late in the year another team could add him. Guys  with speed and gloves are always needed. 

Then one more spot. It is possible they go with an 11 man staff. They have off day on 17th, play 6 games then another one on 24th, then 7 games until September 1. May be a good time for some roster juggling. Hart and Castro could be impacted. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So Flaherty to AAA?

Tejada gone 

Gentry gone- who I think with expanded rosters is a great fit. I actually think this late in the year another team could add him. Guys  with speed and gloves are always needed. 

Then one more spot. It is possible they go with an 11 man staff. They have off day on 17th, play 6 games then another one on 24th, then 7 games until September 1. May be a good time for some roster juggling. Hart and Castro could be impacted. 

Tejada and Gentry are probably outrighted to Norfolk if the pass through waivers.  The O's will be paying them if they are not claimed.

Here are the moves I see barring injuries,

Trumbo activated.  Gentry down.

Flaherty activated, Tejada down  

Hardy activated. Flaherty optioned

Santander called up.   Bleier to optioned until  September 1st.

Hardy, Flaherty and Santander come off the 60 day DL  and are add the 40 man roster.  Tejada and Gentry come off the 40 man roster.   Third spot on the 40 man roster mean Verrett, Ynao or Nuno comes off he 40 man roster.

I honestly wouldn't be upset to see Hardy stay on the DL with Beckham playing the way he is.

Can he have a parking lot accident too?

I honestly don't care what happens just so long as they don't screw up and send back Santander. The kid looks like a stud and if this year has taught us anything, it's that you can live with mediocre defense in the outfield if a guy is raking, you just can't have him play Trumbo-esq defense.

If he can be Mancini defensively and contribute with his bat as a lefty, we HAVE to ditch Tejada or Gentry for him.