Santander

OriolesMagic83

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What wrong?  I'm not saying he has no chance to be a productive player.  I'm saying the current sample size is too small to make a determination.

See winking emoji.  Just joshing you.

14 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Wow, that was your takeaway from the post?  That 15 PAs is an insufficient qualifier?  All right, I'll redo.  The O's have played 17 games this month.  3.1 times 17 is 52.7.  We'll round down to 50 PAs, since some teams haven't played 17 games.

Santander is 85th in the majors in OPS in July among the 217 who have 50+ PAs in the month.  That makes him in the top 40% of MLB batters over that period.  That's a nice little hot streak, nearly as impressive as that of Jeimer Candelario, but not really on the level of Mark Canha.

Thank you. No, that was not my takeaway, just was teasing. Thanks Drungo  

What this exercise points out is, is how much offense is up in the MLB this year. An .800 OPS doesn’t mean what it used to mean. 

Santander with another bomb yesterday. The guy is red hot right now. We’ve been waiting to see him put it all together for 3 years now. It’s nice to see. 

This is what this season is for. We need to see what we have in guys. Now we need to see what we have in DJ Stewart. 

14 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Eh, we all tease about the exaggerated gaps in traditional scouting that are lampooned in media (e.g. Moneyball, etc.), but there is something to it still.  That's what projection is to some degree, right?  The raw stuff is there, it's possible that a few tweaks could unlock a plus player vs. a guy who may have better numbers but is obviously maxed out on his athletic ceiling.  I don't think what you're saying is necessarily cringe-worthy.  Now, if we start to dissect what the appearance of his GF says about his makeup as a ballplayer or whether he has a "good face," that's another matter.

I'm not going to completely dismiss what you're saying, everything else being equal I'd rather have a guy who looks like a linebacker than John Kruk.  But then Jimmy Paredes.

19 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Wow, that was your takeaway from the post?  That 15 PAs is an insufficient qualifier?  All right, I'll redo.  The O's have played 17 games this month.  3.1 times 17 is 52.7.  We'll round down to 50 PAs, since some teams haven't played 17 games.

Santander is 85th in the majors in OPS in July among the 217 who have 50+ PAs in the month.  That makes him in the top 40% of MLB batters over that period.  That's a nice little hot streak, nearly as impressive as that of Jeimer Candelario, but not really on the level of Mark Canha.

Remember when David Newhan hit, like, .400 for a month?  Good times.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Was the second coming of Hurricane Hazle.  Or the new Brett Barberie.  Remember when Rico Brogna hit like Willie McCovey?

I’ll never forget that in 1969, Expos’ rookie Coco Laboy was leading the NL in batting throughout the first month of the season.    The rookie phenom was batting .378 and had an OPS over 1.000 (not that anybody knew of that stat) as late as May 4.   He finished the year at .258 (.717 OPS) and went on to bat .233 for his career.    But for a bit more than a month, he was the talk of baseball.   There’s no hot streak like a hot streak at the beginning of the season when it comes to getting people excited.   

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Any Jim Traber references yet?

I was just typing it!  .342/.400/.632 through his first month in 1986 while Eddie Murray was hurt.  Really good just long enough for the owner and some of the fans to turn on Eddie.  The "Eddie vs. Whammer" debates were ridiculous in '86 and are way dumber now.

Two others, and then we can return to Santander (address unknown):

Chito Martinez - .321/.361/.599 through his first 40 games in 1991; 

Curtis Goodwin - .363 BA, .408 OBP and 16 stolen bases in his first 37 games in 1995.

Reality took a little longer with Chito than with Curtis Goodwin.

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Any Jim Traber references yet?

In his first 135 PAs in 1986 he OPS'd 1.032.  For the rest of '86 (105 PAs) he OPS'd .493, and for the final 738 PAs of his career his OPS was about .540.

His AAA OPS was .786, but he did have a couple of nice years with the Kintetsu Buffaloes in Japan in '90 and '91.

10 minutes ago, Gofannon said:

Two others, and then we can return to Santander (address unknown):

Chito Martinez - .321/.361/.599 through his first 40 games in 1991; 

Curtis Goodwin - .363 BA, .408 OBP and 16 stolen bases in his first 37 games in 1995.

Reality took a little longer with Chito than with Curtis Goodwin.

I was at this game with some of my college buddies in 1991, which happened to be the only 2-homer game of Chito's career.  Also was the first MLB win of some guy named Mussina.  Allowed three hits and struck out 10 in eight innings.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I remember when we thought Larry Bigbie and Luis Matos were emerging stars.  But Santander has definitely earned regular playing time and some slack if/when he falls into a slump.  

Sports Guy loooovvvvveeeeddd Matos. And John Stephens.

• Haha 2