Rationalization thread

I wonder how much of a factor the presence of McPhail had on the direction of these picks. Let's not forget that McPhail came from the commishiner's office and has been rumored to want the job himself in the future. Are these picks an indication that Jordan has a mandate to not go over the MLB slotting system? I wonder if Weiters would have even been the pick last year if McPhail had been in place before the draft. Remember that there were rumblings last year that McPhail balked at the amount Weiter wanted despite the pre-draft agreement that appeared to be in place with Duquette.

I wonder how much of a factor the presence of McPhail had on the direction of these picks. Let's not forget that McPhail came from the commishiner's office and has been rumored to want the job himself in the future. Are these picks an indication that Jordan has a mandate to not go over the MLB slotting system? I wonder if Weiters would have even been the pick last year if McPhail had been in place before the draft. Remember that there were rumblings last year that McPhail balked at the amount Weiter wanted despite the pre-draft agreement that appeared to be in place with Duquette.

MLB told all teams to ignore the slotting this year.

AM and Trembly have said all along that the organization is committed to pitching and defense. I think this draft bears out their words - though that's assuming that the speed many of the draftees have translates to good defense - which may not ending up being the case. So... yeah, I got nothing. :o

If that is the case then this is an organization that is going in two directions at once. Matusz is a polished college guy with very little ceiling and will be ready soon (if at all) where as the rest of the picks are similar to what you are suggesting.

If they want an influx of talent, take some high ceiling guys and hope for the best. It just didn't appear that the O's had a philosophy yesterday and that is disheartening.

What are you basing this off of? I've never seen a report on this guy from a valid source that indicates he's anything less than a number three starter in the big leagues with the good chance he ends up a solid number two and a possibility of developing into a number one.

Basing a team strictly on pitching, speed and defense is creating a nice respectable team that goes nowhere high-or fast.All this "inside baseball": hit and run, stealing bases first to third and other nonsense is overrated. A couple of swings by the other team negates a whole afternoon of scrapping for runs. Earl Weaver would tell you that you need the three-run homers, too.

YES, Lookinup, I'd gladly draft a couple of unathletic mashers if they're good mashers-GLADLY. Why not? There is plenty of time to draft athletes for the speed and skill positions. I think some of these Orioles draft picks would be FAR more comfortable in Beijing in a couple of weeks than Aberdeen.

YES, Lookinup, I'd gladly draft a couple of unathletic mashers if they're good mashers-GLADLY. Why not? There is plenty of time to draft athletes for the speed and skill positions. I think some of these Orioles draft picks would be FAR more comfortable in Beijing in a couple of weeks than Aberdeen.

Well, then you'd have an organization full of stiffs, most of whom completely fail to every provide anything other than a few HR's. In the second round, most of these types profile as Kevin Millar types (if they profile that good with the glove). I understand there were other valid alternatives on the board, but I'd rather have a guy with the upside of Carl Crawford in the second round than a guy with the upside of JR House.

It really comes down to this...I trust that Jordan et al know what they're doing more than you or me. No offense.

It really comes down to this...I trust that Jordan et al know what they're doing more than you or me. No offense.

None taken.

BTW, I did say a COUPLE of mashers, not a whole team full of them. As an example, Ellsbury's a real good player for Boston. If you were them, would you rather get rid of tool-challenged mashers Ortiz and Ramirez and substitute a couple of more Ellsburys? Doubtful.

Look, I sincerely hope these turn out to be great picks.We had a huge opportunity this year, and I hope we've capitalized.

If these three guys pan out... they'll all be #1 / #2 starters in our rotation.

Yes, please. Give me 3 studs in my rotation who I control for a loooooong time.

Amen, brutha! If these guys pan out to all be #1/#2 starters, we are looking pretty darn good. And having them around for a loooooong time is definitely a good thing.

These guys, and "other" guys like Spoone, Hernandez, et al, will keep the pitching flow coming through the system for a long, long time. It give the guys at the lower levels a lot of time to develop and learn their craft.

None taken.

BTW, I did say a COUPLE of mashers, not a whole team full of them. As an example, Ellsbury's a real good player for Boston. If you were them, would you rather get rid of tool-challenged mashers Ortiz and Ramirez and substitute a couple of more Ellsburys? Doubtful.

Look, I sincerely hope these turn out to be great picks.We had a huge opportunity this year, and I hope we've capitalized.

Elsbury might actually be a good comp for Avery.

Also, for the record, I think we need to be very wary about drawing conclusions from scouting reports of high school players. There's a reason these guys are high risk/high reward. They simply haven't been coached, in most cases, to the level that gives us a solid read on what they'll become based on their current performance. Also, these writers frequently only see these guys one or two times. So, for a guy like Hoes, the O's probably know more about him than any of the major publications. At least, I hope so.

This is precisely why we pay scouts.

Archived