New details emerging about the massive fail at the Trade Deadline

Sir_Loin

54 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If they went in to rebuild mode giving away prospects is stupid. Beckham and I dont hate the move is in his arb years, getting expensive, and not likely to be here when the Orioles have fixed the starting pitching. They need three starters this offseason and I can pretty well guarantee you they wont even making 1 significant signing of an starting pitcher. He will grab some scrap heap guys and pay mediocre starting pitcher money for a guy like Ulbaldo and be stuck with the mediocrity for a few years.

How much will Beckham cost a year for the next three seasons?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mdbdotcom said:

His first arb year is coming up. How much he makes will be up to him.

Yeah. True. He might explode and become Jon Schoop. Who btw sold 10 percent of his future earnings a few years back. 

43 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Closer/stud late inning guy is one of those positions where not having long term control may even enhance the value. Every cocky GM thinks they can build a regular season bullpen for cheap, then flip their international signings for whomever happens to be on fire that particular year to carry them through the playoffs.

Yep, I'm not looking forward to them paying Britton even more next year when Givens will be just as good if not better.

At this point I think all we can do is hope for some Orioles Magic for the last part of the season.  We can outperform our run differentials / other metrics, we've done it before (whether it was random luck or a good BP or whatever) - it's not likely, but I think it's the only thing to hope for at the moment.  Doesn't seem like there will be a major change in the team's strategy until we know the status of DD's and Buck's future with the team.

The words "to trade valuable major-league starting players" need to be added after "massive fail" for this title to have intellectual integrity.

Sportswriters pouted like children when the Orioles didn't give away Britton. Buster Olney and others promoted a stance that the Orioles should take any trade offer regardless of the value, as if trading Britton would be addition by subtraction. It would have been a dereliction of duty, as Olney and others would have liked, to trade Britton for anything an opposing club were to offer without regard to the specific players involved.

42 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

The words "to trade valuable major-league starting players" need to be added after "massive fail" for this title to have intellectual integrity.

Sportswriters pouted like children when the Orioles didn't give away Britton. Buster Olney and others promoted a stance that the Orioles should take any trade offer regardless of the value, as if trading Britton would be addition by subtraction. It would have been a dereliction of duty, as Olney and others would have liked, to trade Britton for anything an opposing club were to offer without regard to the specific players involved.

I would say that "epic fail" would describe this thread not the Orioles trade deadline moves. It would be an epic fail if the Astro's offered their best two prospects for Britton plus a couple of other prospects and DD couldn't get a hold of Angelos to approve the deal.  

I am sure every team has 100 instances of another team not offering enough for a player and the deal doesn't happen.  I am not sure this even warranted an article.  

My position on this has been that I don't know what happened either in discussions with the Astros or internally and probably never will, and it's time to move on and watch some baseball (painful as that was last night).

But since everyone else is speculating, I'll add mine. The owner of the Orioles has figured out that (a) he's not going to live forever, (b) his best chance to win, or at least get to or get close to, the World Series is in the next few years, and (c) MLB will never approve, and shouldn't approve, his sons as owner(s) of the team. While I'm sure he'd like to build a strong franchise with lots of promising prospects, that's a low priority. 

Angelos had no intention of trading Britton or anyone else of value, and the team went through the process of offering Britton and Brach (and I guess Smith and O'Day) so that he could save face both in the media and internally. It would have looked pretty bad to reveal the truth from the outset. 

I mean, "massive fail" doesn't really necessarily implicate the O's.  Obviously someone failed.  It's your call whether it's an Orioles fail or an Astros fail.  So far, public opinion seems to be against the Astros at this point.  They did try and pawn off a player with a recent concussion, and a player with knee problems, rather than give us a higher prospect without injury issues.

That's not to say that I'm not disappointed - I am - but it's more about the body of work for me.  Beckham was a good get.  I don't know how I feel about the Hellickson trade.  I think we should have tried a bit harder to trade Brach.

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

My position on this has been that I don't know what happened either in discussions with the Astros or internally and probably never will, and it's time to move on and watch some baseball (painful as that was last night).

But since everyone else is speculating, I'll add mine. The owner of the Orioles has figured out that (a) he's not going to live forever, (b) his best chance to win, or at least get to or get close to, the World Series is in the next few years, and (c) MLB will never approve, and shouldn't approve, his sons as owner(s) of the team. While I'm sure he'd like to build a strong franchise with lots of promising prospects, that's a low priority. 

Angelos had no intention of trading Britton or anyone else of value, and the team went through the process of offering Britton and Brach (and I guess Smith and O'Day) so that he could save face both in the media and internally. It would have looked pretty bad to reveal the truth from the outset. 

Do the owner need to approve John Angelos to own the team? Did the approve Steinbrenners sons? I don't think so....I think they'd have to approve the new owners in a sale. 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Do the owner need to approve John Angelos to own the team? Did the approve Steinbrenners sons? I don't think so....I think they'd have to approve the new owners in a sale. 

Yes.  Approval is needed -- reduced from the usual 3/4 of MLB owners to a simple majority in this situation. -- under V(2)(b)(2) of MLB's Constitution. I posted that text earlier.

The Steinbrenner transfer was approved by MLB's owners  twice, once to Hank and then to Hal:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/83832-hank-steinbrenner-we-are-now-officially-allowed-to-ignore-you

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/sports/baseball/21hal.html

Archived