Buck: Chris will be a good pitcher next year

wildcard

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

It's not that I don't want Tillman back, it's that I don't want the O's to COUNT on Tillman.  If they give him 3-4 million and a major league contract, then they will check his rotation slot off their off-season checklist and not sign someone else.  Even if they give him a short leash, they won't have good options to replace him with if necessary--they will have some AAAA types in Norfolk, who may or may not be viable replacements.  (This year, they weren't).  

I'd rather that they go into the season with 5 guys who they feel more confident in than Tillman, and let Tillman be the guy in Norfolk who hopefully proves that he deserves another shot.   No team gets through the entire season with just 5 guys in the rotation.  

I can't see Tillman going to AAA.   I think he rehabs all winter and comes to camp heathy.  Then you see what he has and keep him or waive him.

And don't think Dan will not waive him if he is bad.   He waived Miggy Gonzalez.

1 hour ago, osfan83 said:

This board loves to buy high and sell low. Tillman is the perfect guy to sign to a very low risk deal. He's not an unknown, He has proven he can pitch at the Yard with success, he is just turning 30 (not that old yet). He wants to stay here. I say pitch him the first 6 weeks of 2018.....if it's obvious he is done, then waive him.

Sounds reasonable.  I wouldn't immediately pencil him into the rotation.  Put him in long relief or at Norfolk. By the way, I didn't commicate very well. My comments assume that he engages in some sort of off season pitching routine under the guidance of someone who knows how to work through these sorts of pitching problems.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I can't see Tillman going to AAA.   I think he rehabs all winter and comes to camp heathy.  Then you see what he has and keep him or waive him.

And don't think Dan will not waive him if he is bad.   He waived Miggy Gonzalez.

I don't believe Tillman can be optioned to AAA.  And he would likely not agree with the assignment.   He will get a major league deal, even if it is a one year deal,  with someone as a free agent this winter, if not us.  He is not going to the minors, imho. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

What do you mean "keep him or waive him"?   He is a free agent.   We would have to sign him first to keep him or waive him.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

What do you mean "keep him or waive him"?   He is a free agent.   We would have to sign him first to keep him or waive him.

Its a good point.  I will have to look up what the rules are on waiving a signed free agent.   I don't know how long he has to be with the team.   If he signs a 1M contract plus incentives then he gets the 1M.  But is it legal to waive him.  I will have to get back to you on that one.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

As an Oriole fan that doesn't work for me.

I'm sorry you can't see your way to wish the best for a guy who was a valuable contributor as an Oriole. Searage is the best in the business at resurrecting pitchers. Chris couldn't be in better hands.

36 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm sorry you can't see your way to wish the best for a guy who was a valuable contributor as an Oriole. Searage is the best in the business at resurrecting pitchers. Chris couldn't be in better hands.

I'd like to see Tillman pitching well for the O's again.   I think in spite of what he says that he is not at full strength and a off season of working with the trainer sand strength guys in Sarasota will do him a world of good.   I can't prove it but I think its possible.   Nice that he lives in Sarasota.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'd like to see Tillman pitching well for the O's again.   I think in spite of what he says that he is not at full strength and a off season of working with the trainer sand strength guys in Sarasota will do him a world of good.   I can't prove it but I think its possible.   Nice that he lives in Sarasota.

I would assume he wouldn't be able to work with our trainers and other guys or use our facilities while he is a free agent.   I think free agency starts 7 days after the World Series ends.   So we would have to sign him pretty quickly to allow him to use our facilities and trainers throughout the offseason.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I would assume he wouldn't be able to work with our trainers and other guys or use our facilities while he is a free agent.   I think free agency starts 7 days after the World Series ends.   So we would have to sign him pretty quickly to allow him to use our facilities and trainers throughout the offseason.

Don't sweat it.  They have a Planet Fitness in Sarasota.

Chris is covered.

Archived