Jump to content

The #11 Pick in 2018 draft


Diehard_O's_Fan

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hopefully Tillman will refuse the QO so they can get another pick!

 

Going to be a lot harder to accumulate a lot of top draft picks under the new system.

Tillman would buy Duquette free groceries for life if he got the QO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

And they need to draft pitching, then pitching, then pitching.   Give me a team that hits right on big time pitching contributors and I will give you all the rest of the position players you want to draft and we will see who wins.  

They pretty much tried that approach in 2016: their top 3 picks, and 15 of their top 18, were pitchers.   So who's the big star of that draft class so far?   Austin Hays.

Sorry, but I'm a vehement advocate for best player available.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hopefully Tillman will refuse the QO so they can get another pick!

 

Going to be a lot harder to accumulate a lot of top draft picks under the new system.

That is why I did not care to have the Comp Pick available to be traded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They pretty much tried that approach in 2016: their top 3 picks, and 15 of their top 18, were pitchers.   So who's the big star of that draft class so far?   Austin Hays.

Sorry, but I'm a vehement advocate for best player available.   

Well I am not quite ready to give up on Cody Sedlock, Keegan Akins, Brenan Hannifee, and Matthias Dietz, we shall see.  It does take longer for pitchers to progress up the system.   Plus the big star of the draft class so far may turn out to be Tim Beckham (i.e. Tobias Myers, class of 2016).    I am an advocate for drafting more pitching because it is much rarer and much more important as a commodity for either winning directly or indirectly by serving as trade chips for the position bats you need.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Well I am not quite ready to give up on Cody Sedlock, Keegan Akins, Brenan Hannifee, and Matthias Dietz, we shall see.  It does take longer for pitchers to progress up the system.   Plus the big star of the draft class so far may turn out to be Tim Beckham (i.e. Tobias Myers, class of 2016).    I am an advocate for drafting more pitching because it is much rarer and much more important as a commodity for either winning directly or indirectly by serving as trade chips for the position bats you need.  

At this point I will be sad if Hays doesn't provide more value than Beckham does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

At this point I will be sad if Hays doesn't provide more value than Beckham does.

Oh I agree...and teams can luck into the Hays type picks all up and down the draft, where everybody misses the potential and the guy turns out to have much more to offer than expected.  But with pitching, I think you just have to have huge quantities in your system year after year, hoping that a few of them really ring the bell.  Less of a "cavalry" and more of a "horde"  approach...lol.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

According to the Baseball America early look at the 2018 draft, the Os first round pick at 11 is not protected.  We would forfeit the pick if we sign someone who has a qualifying offer from his former club.

Ugghhh.

Baseball America is wrong.  The O's cannot lose a their first round pick.  New CBA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

According to the Baseball America early look at the 2018 draft, the Os first round pick at 11 is not protected.  We would forfeit the pick if we sign someone who has a qualifying offer from his former club.

Ugghhh.

VIII. DRAFT PICK COMPENSATION

A. Clubs may not tender a Qualifying Offer to a player who has previously received a Qualifying Offer.

B. The time period during which a player can accept a Qualifying Offer will be extended from 7 to 10 days.

C. Clubs signing a Free Agent subject to compensation will no longer forfeit a first-round selection, but will be subject to the following:
1. A non-market disqualified Revenue Sharing Payee Club shall forfeit its third highest remaining selection in the next Rule 4 Draft.

2. A CBT Payor shall forfeit its second-highest and fifth-highest remaining selections in the next Rule 4 Draft and shall have its International Signing Bonus Pool (described below) reduced by $1,000,000 in the next full Signing Period.

3. All other Clubs shall forfeit their second-highest remaining selection in the next Rule 4 Draft and shall have their International Signing Bonus Pool reduced by $500,000 in the next full Signing Bonus Period.

4. All forfeited International Signing Bonus Pool monies will be distributed equally among all other Clubs. Competitive Balance Selections will be exempt from forfeiture.

D. A Former Club of a Free Agent subject to draft pick compensation will receive the following:

1. A non-market disqualified Revenue Sharing Payee Club shall receive a selection immediately following the first round of the draft if the player signs a contract with a total guarantee of $50 million or more.

2. A CBT Payor Club shall receive a draft selection immediately following the fourth round of the next Rule 4 Draft.

3. All other Former Clubs shall receive a selection immediately following the Competitive Balance Round B of the next Rule 4 Draft (which follows the second round).


Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/mlb-players-agree-new-collective-bargaining-agreement/#YmrEgBuPU7gs0x6G.99

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

They pretty much tried that approach in 2016: their top 3 picks, and 15 of their top 18, were pitchers.   So who's the big star of that draft class so far?   Austin Hays.

Sorry, but I'm a vehement advocate for best player available.   

I have a 2 word response to that:  abso lutely.

I think that's Latin.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Well I am not quite ready to give up on Cody Sedlock, Keegan Akins, Brenan Hannifee, and Matthias Dietz, we shall see.  It does take longer for pitchers to progress up the system.   Plus the big star of the draft class so far may turn out to be Tim Beckham (i.e. Tobias Myers, class of 2016).    I am an advocate for drafting more pitching because it is much rarer and much more important as a commodity for either winning directly or indirectly by serving as trade chips for the position bats you need.  

Just to be clear, I'm far from giving up on those guys (though I'm worried about Sedlock's health).   Just pointing out that we have, in fact, drafted a lot of pitchers.    Our first pick in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017 was a pitcher.    Manny and DJ Stewart were the only exceptions.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, thezeroes said:

The Orioles will have 3 of the first 85 picks in the 2018 draft if the competitive balance pick is NOT traded away.

I believe that it will be 3 of the top 55 or so picks.  We will get a pick between the first and second round.  Under the new collective-bargaining agreement the pick rotates between a post first round and a post second round pick  every year.  Last year we were after the second round so this year it will be after the first round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...