2 Orioles in BA's top 20 NY/PENN prospects (+1 former O)

Luke-OH

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cool.   Do you know where they were ranked?

No, don't have a subscription, if anyone does, feel free to add the Orioles player's rankings.  There is a chat about the list at 2pm today, I'm going to ask for their thoughts about Hanifee, Craport, and Lowther.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If I recall, you favored Hanifee over Myers, yes?

I did and still do.  Myers is the better player currently, but Hanifee has more projection and has the better fastball.  

I like Hanifee and Lowther better than Baumann and Bishop.  

14 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I did and still do.  Myers is the better player currently, but Hanifee has more projection and has the better fastball.  

I like Hanifee and Lowther better than Baumann and Bishop.  

Well, for me it's just good to know that we have two pitchers BA thinks are good enough to make the NYP top 20, and another two that a knowledgeable observer thinks are better than the two who made the list.     That makes (at least) four who will be interesting to follow in 2018.    I look forward to seeing what if anything Cooper says in response to your questions in the BA chat today.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, for me it's just good to know that we have two pitchers BA thinks are good enough to make the NYP top 20, and another two that a knowledgeable observer thinks are better than the two who made the list.     That makes (at least) four who will be interesting to follow in 2018.    I look forward to seeing what if anything Cooper says in response to your questions in the BA chat today.   

I can't imagine Lowther or Hanifee are far off the list.  I'm guessing the reservations were Lowther's velocity and Hanifee's lack of a starter's arsenal (currently).  Don't sleep on Craport either, if he manages to stick at 3B, he's a good prospect.

From the chat:

• Tyrone (Charm City): Is Hunter Harvey back to where he was before his rash of injuries?

J.J. Cooper: Yes. As one scout put it, "if he qualified for your list, he should be No. 1." The fastball is back as is the breaking ball. He now just needs to show durability, whcih is something he's not been able to do as a pro yet.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1507038136

• Luke (NOVA): How close to making the list were Zac Lowther and Brenan Hanifee?

J.J. Cooper: Lowther was not all that far from the back end of the list. He's a hard guy to rank as going back to our previous deception question Lowther is all deception, command and angles. Hitters don't pick up the ball all that well out of his hand and he ends up baffling hitters. But he's largely a two-pitch pitcher right now with an 89-91 mph fastball, and the long-term success rate of pitchers with that profile isn't all that great.

5 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Anything on the justification for Bishop being as high as he is? Seemed like he was something of an after thought to many watching Aberdeen. 

I thought he was good and interesting, but I wasn't wowed.  He's Vespi with a better delivery.  We'll get a much better read on all these guys next year, NY/PENN is hard to scout because the level of competition is pretty low.  Baumann and Lowther had better stuff IMO.  

I asked what people saw in Bishop to justify the ranking, but didn't get an answer.  

If I had to guess though, they like guys with clean, repeatable deliveries, good fastball velocity, and 3 pitches.  Both Baumann and Bishop fit those descriptions.  Lowther (FB velocity) and Hanifee (3 pitches) don't.  

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:
  • Luke (NOVA): How close to making the list were Zac Lowther and Brenan Hanifee?

J.J. Cooper: Lowther was not all that far from the back end of the list. He's a hard guy to rank as going back to our previous deception question Lowther is all deception, command and angles. Hitters don't pick up the ball all that well out of his hand and he ends up baffling hitters. But he's largely a two-pitch pitcher right now with an 89-91 mph fastball, and the long-term success rate of pitchers with that profile isn't all that great.

And I guess they don't think Lowther has much projection on the fastball since he's 21 and looks fully filled out.  But nobody gets a 0.85 WHIP (best in the league) and his ridiculous SO/W ratio without having something going for him.  If he can do that as a 2 pitch pitcher with one of the pitches being a mediocre fastball... I can't wait to see him as a 4 pitch pitcher.  

Archived