Should Dan and Buck Continue on a One Year Contract?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Basically they are in "lame duck" status. Should we cut them loose now and start looking for a replacement? Should we extend so they don't feel the need to manage in the short term? Or should we leave them on one year "prove it" deals?

Of course they should not continue--especially DD on a one year contract. But they will bc PA is a joke. Manny will be let go and all we will get is a comp pick.  It is hard to have run the organization worse than PA has. I don't blame DD doing what he can to win as many games as possible to pad his resume. PA should have been very aggressive to resign Manny and not give that huge contract to Davis, which might not allow us to sign Manny.

The situation is a bit complicated due to the GM-Manager relationship.   It would be a bad idea to give Buck an extension if you are planning on changing the GM, who should have a say in who the manager should be.   But I'm not anxious to cut Buck loose; he's a very good manager and the organization owes him some loyalty.   And while I'd like a new GM who would have authority to start a rebuild, I don't think Angelos is ready to go there, and I'm not sure who would take the job.  

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Basically they are in "lame duck" status. Should we cut them loose now and start looking for a replacement? Should we extend so they don't feel the need to manage in the short term? Or should we leave them on one year "prove it" deals?

What's this "we" c**p.   "We" don't get to decide.  Peter decides.  And Peter does not pay two managers at the same time whether that is a GM or field manager.

I think Buck gets extended his off season.  I am not sure Dan will be or even wants to be.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The situation is a bit complicated due to the GM-Manager relationship.   It would be a bad idea to give Buck an extension if you are planning on changing the GM, who should have a say in who the manager should be.   But I'm not anxious to cut Buck loose; he's a very good manager and the organization owes him some loyalty.   And while I'd like a new GM who would have authority to start a rebuild, I don't think Angelos is ready to go there, and I'm not sure who would take the job.  

There are managers in the game the have so much pull and get so much respect that they stay even when the GM changes.   Scioscia comes to mind.   It may be a different way of running a club but I think that is were the O's are at this point.

Just now, El Gordo said:

Don't think so. I think he's tired of being on the road, and would like the power of GM.

I think he wants to go into the Hall of Fame and being a manager is the only shot he has at that.  Maybe if he wins the World Series he would move to GM.

The big problem is you need a gm who will get in Angelos face and tell him the team needs to rebuild.   And I think that the problem is that Duquette and Buck won't do that for some strange reason.     Buck is too loyal to his players.   Machado and Jones should be traded right now.       Duquette is in the last year of his contract and he has no motivation to do anything.    I truly believe Angelos can be swayed, but we don't have the right guys with the will to do it.   Therefore one of them or both have to go imo.   Duquette had no problem declaring he wanted to go to Toronto.   I truly believe he has the power to make trades to rebuild, but for some strange reason doesn't want to do it.

52 minutes ago, flyhighbirds said:

The big problem is you need a gm who will get in Angelos face and tell him the team needs to rebuild.   And I think that the problem is that Duquette and Buck won't do that for some strange reason.     Buck is too loyal to his players.   Machado and Jones should be traded right now.       Duquette is in the last year of his contract and he has no motivation to do anything.    I truly believe Angelos can be swayed, but we don't have the right guys with the will to do it.   Therefore one of them or both have to go imo.   Duquette had no problem declaring he wanted to go to Toronto.   I truly believe he has the power to make trades to rebuild, but for some strange reason doesn't want to do it.

Duquette has all the motivation in the world to make the 2018 O's  a playoff team.   His contract is up after 2018 and if not resigned by the O's he will be on the open market.  Who wants a GM or President who's team just finished last two years in a row.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think he wants to go into the Hall of Fame and being a manager is the only shot he has at that.  Maybe if he wins the World Series he would move to GM.

What makes you think that getting into the HOF is a big goal of Buck's?    To my knowledge, he's never said a thing about it.    I doubt he'd get there even if he won a World Series -- the bar is high, and he's got several contemporaries who have better or equal credentials.    I'm sure he'd love to win a World Series, but not because that's going to get him in the Hall.

Archived