Luis Sardinas

VaBird1

I am asking this because I have never seen him play...   My impression was that he was a pretty good defensive infielder.   Is he a possibility as a utility player next year in the majors or is there some kind of hole in his game that somebody like Wilkerson doesn't have?

4 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

I am asking this because I have never seen him play...   My impression was that he was a pretty good defensive infielder.   Is he a possibility as a utility player next year in the majors or is there some kind of hole in his game that somebody like Wilkerson doesn't have?

I haven't seen him play much either, looking statistically though, what makes Wilkerson superior as an utility option is the ability to hit for some power, which he seemed to tap into this year.  Sardinas although touted as a good defensive middle infielder in old scouting reports, has poor advanced stats in his 174 MLB games.

I think Sardinas should get a fair chance in spring training though.

5 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I haven't seen him play much either, looking statistically though, what makes Wilkerson superior as an utility option is the ability to hit for some power, which he seemed to tap into this year.  Sardinas although touted as a good defensive middle infielder in old scouting reports, has poor advanced stats in his 174 MLB games.

I think Sardinas should get a fair chance in spring training though.

Is Sardinas a switch hitter too?

I didn't get to see him play. Only have seen Wilkerson.

Has some range at 2b/SS.   But projects to have 20+ errors at either position for a full season.  Not much power.  Doesn't;t steal much.  OBP not that good as he progressed to the higher levels or the minors or in the majors.  Picked up on waivers for the Padres.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I thought I read that his defense isn't as good/consistent enough to carry his bat. Good depth for AAA but Beckham is out SS for the next few years. 

I think he was brought up as an utility option for next year, I don't think anyone thinks he should be a regular at this point.

8 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think he was brought up as an utility option for next year, I don't think anyone thinks he should be a regular at this point.

If Wilkerson does good in the AFL, I want to see Wilkerson, Sardinas, and maybe someone else have a little battle for the MLB spot.

16 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If Wilkerson does good in the AFL, I want to see Wilkerson, Sardinas, and maybe someone else have a little battle for the MLB spot.

Though I think the O's will add Wilkerson to the 40 man roster this off season he is not positioned well to win a spot on the 25 may roster.   The O's utility infielder gets most on his playing time at shortstop.  Wilkerson is mostly a 2B/3B guy.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Though I think the O's will add Wilkerson to the 40 man roster this off season he is not positioned well to win a spot on the 25 may roster.   The O's utility infielder gets most on his playing time at shortstop.  Wilkerson is mostly a 2B/3B guy.

I could be wrong but I think the O's are looking at him as a Ryan Flaherty replacement option.  As far as needing to play SS, Flaherty isn't more than a body at SS, plus on the O's you have Machado who can play SS well and Schoop who can play SS in a pinch as well, so I don't see it as an issue.

I wouldn't add Wilkerson to the 40 unless he is being considered as a utility option, he doesn't project as a regular.

52 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't think the O's should protect Wilkerson either.    The chances of another team 1) drafting him and 2) keeping him for an entire season are between slim and none.   Let's see what he can do next season.   We are talking about a guy who played AA as a 25 year old and projects as a "potential" utility IF.     Luis Sardinas is younger, and has ML experience, and it would be no big deal if we lost him so it makes no sense to protect Wilkerson.    Goo seasons by 25 year old's in AA should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

BTW, none of this disagrees with what you said.   I am a big fan of your posts on the minor league side.   Thanks.

The O's are Sardinas' 5th baseball organization.  He is out of option.  And he has been outrighted once which means he can refuse being outrighted again.   If the O's want him they should offer him a minor league contract and a invitation to ST.    He will probably take it.

I have to agree with you on Wilkerson mostly because  year after year I think more minor leaguers will be added to the major league roster and I am wrong.  You have been much better at projecting that.    The O's are paying some attention to him.  AFL and some nice comments by Buck.  

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't think the O's should protect Wilkerson either.    The chances of another team 1) drafting him and 2) keeping him for an entire season are between slim and none.   Let's see what he can do next season.   We are talking about a guy who played AA as a 25 year old and projects as a "potential" utility IF.     Luis Sardinas is younger, and has ML experience, and it would be no big deal if we lost him so it makes no sense to protect Wilkerson.    Goo seasons by 25 year old's in AA should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

BTW, none of this disagrees with what you said.   I am a big fan of your posts on the minor league side.   Thanks.

I hear ya, for me he needs to show well in the AFL to get protected.  The swing looks good.  That gives me some hope that he may be able to defend himself in the majors (he's not going to be a good hitter, he's got average bat speed and below average power).  If he can hit for enough pop to not see his BB rate plummet (see Rickard, Joey), he should be able to do enough at the plate for a utility role.

Glad you enjoy my posts, I hope to do more detailed reports next year.

I really think his AFL experience will determine things. If he goes in and plays out of his mind, or even up to the level the Orioles hope for, you might see him on the 40 and in Spring Training. Being selected in the Rule 5 wouldn't be out of the idea, as it wouldn't be hard for a team to keep a utility guy on the roster for 90 days. Look how well they hid Santander for 45 days after his rehab.

One other thing...Is Sardinas a Minor League free agent now?

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The Orioles wanted to keep Santander because they see a "potential" regular player down the road.    I believe the Orioles originally kept Flaherty because they though he was a "potential" regular player down the road.    I find it very doubtful that there is a team out there that feels the need to keep a Steve Wilkerson type on their roster all year in the hopes that he is a potential regular.     The AFL is great but offensive stats have to be taken with a grain of salt.   Heck, I think Paul Carey once led the AFL in hitting.   You ask "who is Paul Carey?"   Exactly.    You are looking at a lot of AA pitchers in this league.   This is not the same as seeing what he can do in AAA.

Some teams also take players just to get them in the system. Put them there for 90 days then put them in the minors for more seasoning.

Flaherty was picked to provide some utility depth and maybe hold down third.

" Duquette said Flaherty is very similar to recent free-agent signee Matt Antonelli. Baltimore will use him primarily at third and to support its depth at second base, a position that has some uncertainty given the health of veteran Brian Roberts."

The AFL is a bit better than AA. It might not fully be AAA level, but there will be a better idea of what someone can accomplish. I'd rather see Wilkerson and Mountcastle go against top prospects in the AFL than guys that are just organizational depth in AAA. Look how well the Orioles AAA starters were. :eek:

25 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Some teams also take players just to get them in the system. Put them there for 90 days then put them in the minors for more seasoning.

In reality, very few teams do this. Most years less than half the teams even select a player and most years the majority of the players are returned to their original team. What you are describing gets discussed on the board a lot and the Orioles are more aggressive in the Rule 5 draft than other teams, so it may seem like this happens a lot but it is actually quite rare. The Rule 5 is mostly much ado about nothing. 

Archived