Jump to content

Roch's "Various improvements needed from these six Orioles"


mdbdotcom

Recommended Posts

Just now, Frobby said:

There were only 24 pitchers in the entire American League who made 15 or more quality starts last year — an average of 1.6 per team.    We were fortunate to have two of them in Bundy (19) and Gausman (15).    There’s no way we’re picking up three more.

Lynn 18 QS, Cobb 15,  Cashner 18,  Darvish 15, Chacin 16, Gonzo 13 CC  14. I think we could find  3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Adam is magically going to improve in CF.    He’s just not as fast as he used to be, and that’s not going to reverse itself.    Thus, the team either needs to decide that his defensive shortcomings are something they can live with given that he’s still an above average player overall, or they need to take steps to move him to a corner OF spot.    It’s on the team, not Adam, to address this.

I agree completely, IMO he should be moved to a corner and wherever he’s playing he needs routine days off to stay healthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I agree completely, IMO he should be moved to a corner and wherever he’s playing he needs routine days off to stay healthy.

They aren't shifting him to COF, the best we could hope for is a late inning defensive upgrade and more days off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Lynn 18 QS, Cobb 15,  Cashner 18,  Darvish 15, Chacin 16, Gonzo 13 CC  14. I think we could find  3.

We aren’t going to pay for three of these guys.   It’s not like we’re the only team in the majors looking for a reliable starter.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I am comfortable with Gausman and Manny. Have my doubts about CD and Trumbo. Hopefully one of them improves. Am more concerned with Beckham's glove than his bat. Think Britton should be healthy. The main thing is still acquiring 3 decent SP..

As it has been for the last 20 years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We aren’t going to pay for three of these guys.   It’s not like we’re the only team in the majors looking for a reliable starter.   

We could afford Cobb Cashner and Gonzo. Whether PA lets us spend is another matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

By right SP I mean 3 decent SP(15 or more QS). with that .at we could win with the offense we got last season. One or two improvements would be even better.

 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There were only 24 pitchers in the entire American League who made 15 or more quality starts last year — an average of 1.6 per team.    We were fortunate to have two of them in Bundy (19) and Gausman (15).    There’s no way we’re picking up three more.

I think it is without question that our biggest failure was overcoming terrible starting pitching.  I just think that if we do not clear the log jam of Davis/Trumbo our options are very limited even if we can pick up some quality SP.  Mind you that is going on the assumption that the OP has that the goal for next year is to contend.  And I do understand that right up till the end we were in contention this year...I just personally believe the bar is going up and the Orioles need to follow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

We could afford Cobb Cashner and Gonzo. Whether PA lets us spend is another matter.

What do you think they’ll cost?    I think:

Cobb 5/$85 mm

Cashner 4/$60 mm

Gonzalez 2/$13 mm

I don’t see the O’s doing that.    I agree they could, but they won’t.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

What do you think they’ll cost?    I think:

Cobb 5/$85 mm

Cashner 4/$60 mm

Gonzalez 2/$13 mm

I don’t see the O’s doing that.    I agree they could, but they won’t.  

So let me ask this...How can we square "going for it" without doing something like the above.  I get they are not going to pay for the top shelf...but you are not going to go for it without adding someone with higher expectations than Bundy and Gausman.  Even if we get another gem like Chen or Gonzalez to go with....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

In today's blog post, Roch says six O's need to make improvements. Read the post for the details. Here are the bullet points:

  1. Kevin Gausman needs two good halves
  2. Manny Machado needs a better first half
  3. Trumbo needs to get right at the plate
  4. Chris Davis needs to regain his eye at the plate
  5. Tim Beckham needs to be closer to his August version than September
  6. Zach Britton needs to be healthy

That's quite a list, and to it I would add: 7. Adam Jones needs to not be a defensive liability in center field.

I've got three questions for you:

  1. Which of these do you think will happen?
  2. Which won't happen? 
  3. In addition to getting the four starting pitchers DD says we need, how much of the above need to happen for the O's to contend?

I think Jones and Manny will be okay. I wouldn't count on CD and Trumbo having a good season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, foxfield said:

 

I think it is without question that our biggest failure was overcoming terrible starting pitching.  I just think that if we do not clear the log jam of Davis/Trumbo our options are very limited even if we can pick up some quality SP.  Mind you that is going on the assumption that the OP has that the goal for next year is to contend.  And I do understand that right up till the end we were in contention this year...I just personally believe the bar is going up and the Orioles need to follow. 

The offense was sufficient if we had decent SP. Offensive upgrades would be nice but not essential.. I would be surprised if Manny didn't have a better year, a full season of Beckham will be an offensive upgrade at SS, and one of Davis/Trumbo will improve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What do you think they’ll cost?    I think:

Cobb 5/$85 mm

Cashner 4/$60 mm

Gonzalez 2/$13 mm

I don’t see the O’s doing that.    I agree they could, but they won’t.  

That's a different story. If I were Dan I would be arguing to PA that if he is serious about contending he needs to spend on that pitching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...