Revised Oriole Top Ten Prospects (post draft)

WietersCorner

Great list, but I wouldn't have Renshaw on my top 30 list
Thanks, why no Renshaw on your list? He is a good sized kid who has a solid track record. He throws around 93 and has the makings of a solid change and breaking ball, so I've read. I understand he is being made to work on some things and has struggled a bit, but the talent is still there. After all, that is what player development is about...right? ;)

At this point in my rankings, I went with him because he has good upside and he has some time left. Who would you have put in there instead?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt for now. He's got top of the charts power and he's an athlete for a guy his size. He finished the season strong last year for the last 5-6 weeks, so I'm hopeful he gets it going soon as the weather has gotten hotter. I just think he's going to figure it out. Would you consider his season a success if he ends up .270 avg., 30 2B, 18 HR, and 80 RBI...even if he ends up with 120 SO's? I would as long as he improves his pitch recognition and selection.

Fair enough. I guess I was just hoping for a little more from a college bat at low-A ball.

Because his ERA is at 5.27!! What has he done??

Most players ranked 20-30 are a ways from helping a major league team for a long time. Renshaw at 28 isnt the big of a deal.

This isnt to say he is a prospect though.

Also, Scott Moore is still considered to be a prospect Jammer, so where would you slot him?

Most players ranked 20-30 are a ways from helping a major league team for a long time. Renshaw at 28 isnt the big of a deal.

This isnt to say he is a prospect though.

Also, Scott Moore is still considered to be a prospect Jammer, so where would you slot him?

I'm not impressed from what I've seen of Scott Moore last year and this spring. He looks a little stiff in the field and his bat speed is average at best. His results in Norfolk are uninspiring thus far. I'd have him in the mid 30's, for now, but he's falling mostly because of what I've seen.

Mike Costanzo is still in my top 30 because he's learning to catch and he still has good power. His K's are alarming, but he's hit everywhere he's been so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Fair enough. I guess I was just hoping for a little more from a college bat at low-A ball.

I hear ya, but he went to Richmond. Nothing against the Spiders, but they don't turn 'em out like Texas, Oregon State, FSU, Florida, Miami, Georgia and the rest of the big boys. He's got a ways to go in many ways, but he's enough of an athlete where he can make the adjustments. I liked his videos last year. He has balance and hand-eye coordination that you can't teach. If/when he starts turning the corner, it could come quickly for him. Or, he could be in Independant ball by June 2010.

Archived