Jump to content

Could The Orioles Sign RHP R.A. Dickey?


PressBoxOnline

Recommended Posts

It is so sad to see a thread like this. With the pitching heritage this franchise has, this is where we are. Freaking RA Dickey. Long term, the only answer is to get serious about the minors and grow some arms. There is no way PA will pay what is necessary to have a true #1-6. This past season we had two #3s and four #6s. Truthfully that is being generous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, o'sfansince1970 said:

It is so sad to see a thread like this. With the pitching heritage this franchise has, this is where we are. Freaking RA Dickey. Long term, the only answer is to get serious about the minors and grow some arms. There is no way PA will pay what is necessary to have a true #1-6. This past season we had two #3s and four #6s. Truthfully that is being generous.

It's a sad state what has become of the Orioles pitching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, o'sfansince1970 said:

It is so sad to see a thread like this. With the pitching heritage this franchise has, this is where we are. Freaking RA Dickey. Long term, the only answer is to get serious about the minors and grow some arms. There is no way PA will pay what is necessary to have a true #1-6. This past season we had two #3s and four #6s. Truthfully that is being generous.

Probably so.  Unfortunately, it's not a quick process - developing starting pitchers.  I think they have done better the last 3 drafts, but If we can get a solid #3 starter in free agency, it'd sure help.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Probably so.  Unfortunately, it's not a quick process - developing starting pitchers.  I think they have done better the last 3 drafts, but If we can get a solid #3 starter in free agency, it'd sure help.    

Took the Astros dead last for seven seasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather watch kids lose 100 than guys in their 30's lose 87.

Those Houston teams weren't always losing with kids.

2011 -- 56 wins -- Altuve was the ONLY prospect in the everyday lineup.   All the starting pitchers were 26+ except Jordan Lyles.   Bud Norris,  Wandy Rodriguez, etc.   It wasn't an exciting young team.   It was a crap team similar to the Trembley Orioles, with one exciting young player.

2012 -- 55 wins -- Once again Altuve of course.   A 24 year old JD Martinez who they ended up dumping.   Aging Carlos Lee.  Brian Bogusevic was the starting RF!   Keuchel got 16 starts.   So two future players worth watching, 3 if you count Martinez but they thought so little of him they released him in spring of 2014.

2013 -- 51 wins.  Altuve again, JD again.   LJ Hoes starting in the outfield.   A young Jonathan Villar  with a .640 OPS.   Keuchel again.   The last dying gasps of Erik Bedard's career.   Once again, only about 3 or 4 players worth watching.

I'm not saying the results don't make it worth it.   But I don't think watching the 2011-2013 Astros was significantly more enjoyable to fans who had to actually live through every game than it was for us to watch the 2009-2011 Orioles.   Or any 3 consecutive seasons you want to choose between 1998 and 2011.   I think you are romanticizing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Those Houston teams weren't always losing with kids.

2011 -- 56 wins -- Altuve was the ONLY prospect in the everyday lineup.   All the starting pitchers were 26+ except Jordan Lyles.   Bud Norris,  Wandy Rodriguez, etc.   It wasn't an exciting young team.   It was a crap team similar to the Trembley Orioles, with one exciting young player.

2012 -- 55 wins -- Once again Altuve of course.   A 24 year old JD Martinez who they ended up dumping.   Aging Carlos Lee.  Brian Bogusevic was the starting RF!   Keuchel got 16 starts.   So two future players worth watching, 3 if you count Martinez but they thought so little of him they released him in spring of 2014.

2013 -- 51 wins.  Altuve again, JD again.   LJ Hoes starting in the outfield.   A young Jonathan Villar  with a .640 OPS.   Keuchel again.   The last dying gasps of Erik Bedard's career.   Once again, only about 3 or 4 players worth watching.

I'm not saying the results don't make it worth it.   But I don't think watching the 2011-2013 Astros was significantly more enjoyable to fans who had to actually live through every game than it was for us to watch the 2009-2011 Orioles.   Or any 3 consecutive seasons you want to choose between 1998 and 2011.   I think you are romanticizing it.

I'm not romanticizing anything.

You can't take a bad core and add older second tier free agents and expect it to turn into anything.

That is what the O's did for a decade.

I'd rather lose 100 than putter around with 90 loss teams that won't go anywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...