Brian Roberts trade rumors back on!

ed101elove

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wrote a quick piece on this potential trade this morning. Basically, I think LaPorta can be had because the Brewers are valuing Gamel as a 1B with Green moving up as a potential 3B guy. They should be ready by the time Fielder departs. I figure a starting point would be: Roberts and Sherrill for Weeks, LaPorta, and Brent Brewer (a toolsy SS in HiA). LaPorta is their best guy, but is a bit of a mess defensively. They also have other guys who can reasonably replace him. Brewer is not as good as Alicides right now and may not be, but he has potential. If you want Alicedes, I think you would have to degrade LaPorta to Green or Grindl.

I would definitely do that trade and I think it works well for both teams.

The O's get a 2B to immediately replace Roberts and who has the potential to be a look term replacement. In addition, we get a DH/1B/LF of the future and we get a legit SS prospect (I am really high on Brewer).

On the other hand, the Brewers lose nothing from their ML team except Weeks, who is replaced by Roberts. Huge improvement there. In addition, they get a very very good reliever who, as shown, can close games too. Yes, they do lose their top prospect, but he can easily be replaced if they do decide to deal Fielder.

I guess I just believe that the Brewers think higher of LaPorta's bat & overall value (as do I).

I would rather keep Alcides in the deal than take Brewer. The low AVG and high Ks worry me. But mostly, I just like Alcides. Do you think we could do Roberts & Sherrill for Weeks, Alcides & Cole Gillespie?

I actually kind of doubt it because Gillespie is a guy who should be able to play decent defense at the Major League level. He is one of the few people in their system that can out there and still hit, so I think they would value him highly. I think Gindl would be more agreeable than Gillespie from the Brewers side.

BRob, Sherrill and Burres for Gamel or LaPorta, Weeks, Escobar and another top level prospect, whether it be an arm like Jeffress or some of their other CI prospects.

That is the deal I would put on the table.

Why Burress?

Milwaukee arguably has a lot of SP and has other long pen options.

Not 100 percent sure about all of this but I believe that means Weeks signed a ML contract when he was drafted. He had to reach the majors by the end of that contract, 2007. Even though the contract "expired" in 2007 he is still under team control for 6 years of service time from when his contract was first purchased (2005). If I'm reading this correctly, he's in his third year of service time and would be under team control for three years after this, so through 2011.

Is that right?

Yep. Weeks signed a ML contract just like Adam Loewen did when he signed for $4.02m over 4 years. The Weeks 5 years deal is just that. A deal that paid him x number of dollars for those 5 years instead of having to negotiate a new contract each.

The all important part people need to look at is his actual ML service time, which according to Cot's, is 2.131 going in this year. Thus if he stays at the ML level for the rest of career, he's not a free agent until the end of the 2011 season.

I just wanted to add that OH just hasn't been the same since the season started without a good, rip-roaring thread speculating on BRob being traded!!! NOW, things are back to the way they should be again. ;):smile11:

Now back to speculating on a trade of Brian... :noidea:

I think it's pretty obvious that the people who still value Weeks that highly are focusing on his potential to become a perenial 20/20 guy at 2B (he'll never win a GG, but his defense has improved).

Eloquently stated. Thank you. :)

That would suck.

All this trade talk, and the scouting may have simply been because they are playing us in a couple of Weeks (no pun intended).

Then why the capitalization :)

This figures... doesn't it seem like every time we discuss a trade rumor with Ken Rosenthal at the center of it, it ends up being a false rumor with no "real" substance?

BRob, Sherrill and Burres for Gamel or LaPorta, Weeks, Escobar and another top level prospect, whether it be an arm like Jeffress or some of their other CI prospects.

That is the deal I would put on the table.

Love it Sports Guy. We need a move like this. Brob, Sherrill, and Burres for Gamel, Weeks, Escobar, and Jeffress/Gillespie. The sell high on DCab and get a kings ransom. Hopefully a power hitting 1B. Maybe the Braves, Dodgers, or Angels. Huff should bring back something decent. Walker/Bradford some low level guys and dump the rest of the dead weight. I would include Dcab if it ment Laporta coming back. Brob, Sherrill, Burres, and Dcab for LaPorta, Gamel, Weeks, Escobar, Jeffress, and Gillespie.

I don't think it is far fetched...The Brewers deal should be fine if they want to try and win this year.

If the Brewers were the Mets, I don't think this would be far-fetched. However, they're the Brewers and anyone who thinks they're going from young and cheap talent to older expensive talent is probably mistaken. It's not about fairness of what we have to offer, it's about philosophy. You never know if their owner gets a bug in his rear-end to "compete" since they are legitimately in the wild card race, but I really doubt anything close to this happens.

Sherrill and Burress are their more likely targets IMO.

Love it Sports Guy. We need a move like this. Brob, Sherrill, and Burres for Gamel, Weeks, Escobar, and Jeffress/Gillespie. The sell high on DCab and get a kings ransom. Hopefully a power hitting 1B. Huff should bring back something decent. Walker/Bradford some low level guys and dump the rest of the dead weight.

I think the Brewers are getting ripped in that deal.

Archived