Buyers Remorse - Bedard

TiredofLosing20

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/columnists/mcgrath/story/384295.html

Wow, it looks like the shine is off the penny already in Seattle. Sounds like they have many of the concerns hangout folks had with Bedard when he was here, lots of pitches, rarely makes it beyond the 7th. I mean would they really trade Bedard this quickly? I liked Bedard tho I did think we needed to trade him. It makes me wonder if this Bedard trade could be the undoing of Bavasi. Never thought Seattle was close to winning it all but really who would have thought they would be almost 20 games under .500 at this point.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bavasi seriously misjudged how far his team was from contention when he made that trade. And the writer's report of how Bedard couldn't answer the bell in the 6th inning, while perhaps slightly unfair, certainly brings back memories of past occasions when Bedard was criticized for not taking the ball for an extra inning. The Mariners certainly should have factored that history into their thinking when making that trade.

In support of Bedard, anyone can have a day when they have to throw a lot of pitches in 5 innings on a hot day and get too tired to continue. I'll still bet on Bedard throwing 6-7 innings the vast majority of games and being one of the best pitchers in MLB by the time the year is over. But the Mariners are now in a similar position to where the Orioles were last winter - they aren't going to contend with or without Bedard, so they should look to move him. I'd be very surprised if they get as much for him as they gave up to get him.

Bavasi seriously misjudged how far his team was from contention when he made that trade. And the writer's report of how Bedard couldn't answer the bell in the 6th inning, while perhaps slightly unfair, certainly brings back memories of past occasions when Bedard was criticized for not taking the ball for an extra inning. The Mariners certainly should have factored that history into their thinking when making that trade.

In support of Bedard, anyone can have a day when they have to throw a lot of pitches in 5 innings on a hot day and get too tired to continue. I'll still bet on Bedard throwing 6-7 innings the vast majority of games and being one of the best pitchers in MLB by the time the year is over. But the Mariners are now in a similar position to where the Orioles were last winter - they aren't going to contend with or without Bedard, so they should look to move him. I'd be very surprised if they get as much for him as they gave up to get him.

Let's just hope they don't get Jay Bruce! :vader:

The hot and oppressively humid day found Bedard exhausted after five innings, but Drew is a left-handed hitter, and Bedard is left-handed pitcher, and every so often a kick-butt ace must take a deep breath and suck it up.

Not Bedard. He was spent, had no gas in the tank, and turned things over to right-handed reliever Sean Green, who promptly gave up the home run that decided the game, but left Bedard’s 4-4 record intact.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. This is the kind of stuff that baseball people talk about when they talk about heart or lack thereof.

Bedard will still end up with good numbers by the end of the year because he is a good pitcher, but he was never a true ace in my opinion because of stuff like this.

Give me a Roy Halladay who doesn't have his best stuff but gets his team into the 8th often anyday...

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. This is the kind of stuff that baseball people talk about when they talk about heart or lack thereof.

Bedard will still end up with good numbers by the end of the year because he is a good pitcher, but he was never a true ace in my opinion because of stuff like this.

Give me a Roy Halladay who doesn't have his best stuff but gets his team into the 8th often anyday...

Hell, he's taken his team into the 10th on a couple of occasions.

When Seattle made the Bedard trade I was wondering what they were thinking...especially after reading here how they were likely to regress this season.

Glad the Orioles didn't look this gift horse in the mouth.

I think we can safely say that Jay Bruce (1.227 OPS in 60 PAs) is even more untouchable now than he was back then. ;)

Maybe we could catch them trying to trade when his value is high. :rolleyes: They have got to know he is not this good, heck I would be surprised if his OPS is even over 1.150 by the end of the year. :rolleyestf:

Archived