Assume we don’t trade Manny and he walks

Frobby

47 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

He will be better than Beckham with consistency fewer errors and much better arm. Manny 's arm is as good as Tejada's was IMO, and he has better range. He wont be as good as he is at 3B but much better than Beckham IMO.

You've also been non-stop negative about Beckham from day 1.  And I wouldn't compare Manny to Tejada if you're trying to make Manny sound good, as Tejada was not a good defensive SS here - and his arm wasn't anything special.  

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Look at latest news about Manny.  I think we made need to trade him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2745308-manny-machados-already-huge-400m-free-agent-value-may-soon-rise-even-higher?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mlb

I really hate to see him go, especially seeing him as a Yankee.  It is really sad.  It is getting almost impossible to have a good team unless you are filthy rich.

It could be true, but I think the article is somewhat amateurish.  It basically says moving Manny to SS could mean the difference between a 75 win team and a playoff team.  It also says hes 6'3 and 183 lbs.  That's gotta be short by more than 30 lbs.  Even Beckham's listed at 205 - Manny's considerably bigger than Beckham.       

22 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It could be true, but I think the article is somewhat amateurish.  It basically says moving Manny to SS could mean the difference between a 75 win team and a playoff team.  It also says hes 6'3 and 183 lbs.  That's gotta be short by more than 30 lbs.  Even Beckham's listed at 205 - Manny's considerably bigger than Beckham.       

But he can't bend it like Tim!  Funny stuff above!

42 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Look at latest news about Manny.  I think we made need to trade him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2745308-manny-machados-already-huge-400m-free-agent-value-may-soon-rise-even-higher?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mlb

I really hate to see him go, especially seeing him as a Yankee.  It is really sad.  It is getting almost impossible to have a good team unless you are filthy rich.

I don’t see any “news” there, just speculation by some guy on Bleacher Report.

6 hours ago, Ruzious said:

You've also been non-stop negative about Beckham from day 1.  And I wouldn't compare Manny to Tejada if you're trying to make Manny sound good, as Tejada was not a good defensive SS here - and his arm wasn't anything special.  

I'm not non stop negative. I was skeptical about his defense. It's a little better than I expected, but needs a lot of work He has the tools but I'm not sure he has the focus and baseball IQ. I like his bat.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Gordo, don't try to change sinking canoes in mid stream.  You said Manny would make fewer errors.  Available evidence doesn't support that. 

Your numbers are meaningless. SSS. In a full season he would make fewer. He's moving off 6 years at 3B. He would take some time to readjust. But he is an all around better fielder than Beckham.

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Your numbers are meaningless. SSS. In a full season he would make fewer. He's moving off 6 years at 3B. He would take some time to readjust. But he is an all around better fielder than Beckham.

The way the Orioles shift around, Manny has spent plenty of time positioned at SS.    I don’t think it would take him long at all to adjust.    But he’s not going to be the rangiest SS in the world.    Nether was Cal.

Roch said on Wall to Wall Baseball that he thinks Manny is more ambivalent about returning to SS due to the extra wear and tear, but (he thinks) Manny wants to be able to market himself at both positions.  

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The way the Orioles shift around, Manny has spent plenty of time positioned at SS.    I don’t think it would take him long at all to adjust.    But he’s not going to be the rangiest SS in the world.    Nether was Cal.

Roch said on Wall to Wall Baseball that he thinks Manny is more ambivalent about returning to SS due to the extra wear and tear, but (he thinks) Manny wants to be able to market himself at both positions.  

I think Manny could be a well above average SS, certainly more consistent than Beckham. Then he could switch back to 3B eventually.  Win win for him.

15 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I'm not non stop negative. I was skeptical about his defense. It's a little better than I expected, but needs a lot of work He has the tools but I'm not sure he has the focus and baseball IQ. I like his bat.

I don't even like his bat. Another swing n' miss guy on a team full of them. His arm is crazy erratic and its obvious he isn't going to hit. He sandwiched his monster August, by less hitting less than .200 in the other month prior and after. Inconsistency does not win championships. 

On top of that, it was a chance for Duquette to inject a little OBP into this lineup. He certainly didn't accomplish that with Beckham.

My opinion, Beckham will NOT start for the O's in 18'. He will be the utility inf or traded. If I am wrong and he starts, he won''t finish the season as a starter. Just my opinion.

43 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

I don't even like his bat. Another swing n' miss guy on a team full of them. His arm is crazy erratic and its obvious he isn't going to hit. He sandwiched his monster August, by less hitting less than .200 in the other month prior and after. Inconsistency does not win championships. 

On top of that, it was a chance for Duquette to inject a little OBP into this lineup. He certainly didn't accomplish that with Beckham.

My opinion, Beckham will NOT start for the O's in 18'. He will be the utility inf or traded. If I am wrong and he starts, he won''t finish the season as a starter. Just my opinion.

Totally agree

If the team is not contending at the deadline and he has not been resigned long term, I think he has to be traded.

The future of the team has to be taken into consideration at some point. If Manny is not signed long term and plays out the season, I think we all know he turns down the QO and walks. If we are not in contention IMO he has to be traded for the best package available at the deadline.

What a Manny Deal looks like

2017 NL MVP Giancarlo Stanton, Craig Edwards of Fangraphs took a close look at the value of the Marlins outfielder’s opt-out clause, and how it might suppress his trade value. It’s well-known by now that after the 2020 season, Stanton will have the power to opt out of the remaining seven years and $218MM left on his contract to pursue a new deal. Edwards examines scenarios in which Stanton ages well, normally and poorly, estimating his contract’s potential surplus (or dearth of) value in each instance based on projected WAR output. The obvious conclusion is that Stanton’s opt-out clause negatively impacts his trade value. He would be highly likely to opt out if he ages well or even normally, limiting the value he’d provide to his new team in each case. However, if he ages poorly, he’d most likely opt into the remaining seven years on the contract; in such a case he’d provide negative surplus value over the life of the ten years with his new team. The piece uses a series of charts to make a case. It’s a fascinating read from beginning to end, shedding light on the unique risk teams face in deciding upon the prospect value they’re willing to give up for a player who gets to choose whether to be with them for three years or for an entire decade.

MLBTR

Archived