Should every team get an All-Star?

McNulty

Should every team get an All-Star rep?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should every team get an All-Star rep?

• Yes, every team deserves to be represented
    • No, they should pick the best players regardless of team

I personally like having at least one player from every team. It gives everyone a reason to watch. Even if it wasn't a requirement there would still be players left off that deserved to be there. But thats just me...

Every team should have representation but mostly because of the way voting is done, horribly. It's not like the best players for each position would get sent even if you didn't have that requirement. People vote like it's a popularity contest and for the most part they are not selecting players based on who is performing the best on the season.

It depends.

There are two roads MLB can go with the All-Star Game:

1. Keep treating it like "it matters." In this case, it shouldn't have one player from every team and it also shouldn't be voted on by the fans who think Dustin Pedroia should be a part of a game that affects REAL baseball.

2. Treat it like the exhibition game it is. In this case, sure, give every team a player because it's all just in good fun and everyone wants to watch one of their own. Or just leave it like it is and let the BOS/NYY fans vote for their little craps cause who cares?

It's not like Selig is going to reconsider anything, but he really, really should. The whole thing is a mess right now because of their failure to pick a direction and follow through sensibly.

Should MLB require that every team be represented in the All-Star game, even if there is a more talented player or someone having a better year left off of the roster because of this rule?

I'm gonna take the easy way out and say they should expand the size of the rosters. Pick the best players that would make the team. After that, if there are any teams without players on the AS team, add them to the team.

No. I also don't think many people are watching the game because they have an undeserving reserve player on the team. I know I wouldn't watch the game due to that, I would watch it regardless.

I think the most deserving players should make it, which still wouldn't happen if this rule was adjusted, but it would help.

I think they should just do away with the formality of this sham voting and make the All-Star Game have one side filled with 25 Yankees, and the other team composed of 25 Red Sox players. Because honestly... does anything else matter? :scratchchinhmm:

I want a third option: No, every team shouldn't necessarily have a rep, but "best" is so ambiguous that it's meaningless, and the game is about popularity instead of merit anyway.

I want the All Star team to be made up of the 25 most popular players in the league as voted on by fans.

I'm gonna take the easy way out and say they should expand the size of the rosters. Pick the best players that would make the team. After that, if there are any teams without players on the AS team, add them to the team.

Expand the rosters? They already have over 30 players on each roster. With a one-game exhibition you could reasonably play with a 12-man roster. The game is already a joke, since innings 3-9 are all about figuring out how to get 4th center fielder and designated Royal David DeJesus into the game. With a 35 or 40 man roster you've turned it into some wacky indoor soccer match where the whole team subs off every six minutes.

I want a third option: No, every team shouldn't necessarily have a rep, but "best" is so ambiguous that it's meaningless, and the game is about popularity instead of merit anyway.

I want the All Star team to be made up of the 25 most popular players in the league as voted on by fans.

The problem with fans voting in the starters is that most fans don't really keep that informed about players on other teams and most fans try to "stuff" the ballot box with players from their own teams. Also, it's really difficult for players to win the fan vote if they weren't on the printed ballots, regardless of how well they've been playing. Then, we have the problem of players who change positions and get selected to play a position where they haven't played all year.

Solution: Let the managers, coaches, and players in each league pick the starting nine just before the all star break, after the fans have chosen the all star representatives from their own teams. If fans elect a player who has been on the DL all year, that's their problem.

Between the 9 starters and the fan picks, that accounts for up to 23 AL players and 25 NL players. Let the all star team manager fill out the squad, assisted by the league office if desired.

The problem with fans voting in the starters is that most fans don't really keep that informed about players on other teams and most fans try to "stuff" the ballot box with players from their own teams. Also, it's really difficult for players to win the fan vote if they weren't on the printed ballots, regardless of how well they've been playing. Then, we have the problem of players who change positions and get selected to play a position where they haven't played all year.

Why is that a problem? The game is an exhibition for the fans. If they want to see a 40-year-old Cal Ripken, or they really like David Eckstein who are we to say they're wrong?

Why is that a problem? The game is an exhibition for the fans. If they want to see a 40-year-old Cal Ripken, or they really like David Eckstein who are we to say they're wrong?

IMO the league should pick the All-Stars. One from every team. I have no problem giving people like 40 year old Ripkens, but I have a problem given it too all yankees and red sox players.

The game is an exhibition, but it also should be the best players in the game, not just the most famous.

It's a matter of opinion, I suppose, just like the DH rule. :)

I don't like it when fans vote a player into the starting lineup when:

(1) They've been on the DL most of the season,

(2) They're having a lousy season and should be embarrassed to even make the all star roster, or

(3) They switched positions and got voted in as an outfielder when they've been playing 3rd base all season long. (e.g., Chipper Jones a few years ago; Cal when the O's acquired Bordick, etc.)

It makes an absurdity of the game. Of course, some fans consider it an absurdity anyhow, especially those who don't like the AL getting world series home field advantage the last several years.

Instead of the manager having to fill out his roster with a representative from every team, let that team's fans have the honor. If they want to select a 42 year old Ripken who's hitting a buck ninety five as their team representative, that should be the fan's prerogative.

It just bothers me that fans are stuffing the ballot box for their own players, and even those who are attempting so demonstrate some integrity by voting for players on other teams often just aren't familiar enough with how those players are doing in the current season to make an intelligent choice.

I don't like it when I read posts on Cardinals forums urging Chicago style politics (vote early and vote often!) and about how to get past the limit on multiple voting. I don't like it when I see my Cardinals broadcasters touting guys like Ankiel, who is one of my favorite players but definitely not deserving of an all star selection this season.

Does any other sport use fan balloting to select their all star rosters? Do any of the minor leagues? I don't normally accept that "everybody else does it" as a valid argument, but there are good reasons for it in this case.

Let the fans vote for their own representative. That makes it a much more personal campaign for the fans. If there's an injury that might keep a player off the all star roster -- like the Pujols calf injury in tonight's game -- it will inspire spirited voting for 2nd place, to select the "right" alternate. For the Cards, that would probably have to be Ludwick. Possibly Wainwright before he went on the DL, but he'd have spirited competition from Lohse and Wellemeyer among the pitchers and Ludwick has clearly been the Cards best hitter this year after Pujols.

Archived