Griffey Jr. Joins the 600 Club!!!

HeatherC12

Thats an awesome video. I remember when Kevin Bass hit that ball out to right center at the Kingdome and seeing Griffey fly into the wall....and being almost heartbroken that he broke his wrist on that play. Yeah, he was playing for Seattle and yeah, he routinely killed us...but you couldn't NOT like him and appreciate what he brought to the table. He was so exciting and so damn good...even when he'd blast one against us with that sweet swing, you had to shake your head and give him credit....he was (and still is) a joy to watch.

How many would he have hit with Barry Bond's PA's? :D

Fewer than Bonds. :eek:

It's hard to find a baseball fan who doesn't love Ken Griffey, Jr. He's as good an all-around baseball player as I ever saw. There was nothing he couldn't do on a baseball field.

He also seems like a remarkably down earth guy considering what a huge star he was from such an early age. Of course he got huge bonus points with me because of how kind he was to BRob when they met in a Cincinnati hospital right before Brian's elbow surgery and how Griffey got his phone number and kept calling him all offseason to see how his recovery was going. They had never met prior to that.

As far as the injuries though, it's hard to look at the career he's had as any kind of a tragedy. He's hit more home runs than all but 5 other people in the history of the game, and he had speed, average and defense to go with it for at least a good chunk of his career. That's darn good injured or not. I prefer to look at it with the glass half full and say at least none of them were career-ending or even life threatening. In the grand scheme of things, Ken Griffey Jr has had a very fortunate - even charmed - life.

He also seems like a remarkably down earth guy considering what a huge star he was from such an early age. Of course he got huge bonus points with me because of how kind he was to BRob when they met in a Cincinnati hospital right before Brian's elbow surgery and how Griffey got his phone number and kept calling him all offseason to see how his recovery was going. They had never met prior to that.

As far as the injuries though, it's hard to look at the career he's had as any kind of a tragedy. He's hit more home runs than all but 5 other people in the history of the game, and he had speed, average and defense to go with it for at least a good chunk of his career. That's darn good injured or not. I prefer to look at it with the glass half full and say at least none of them were career-ending or even life threatening. In the grand scheme of things, Ken Griffey Jr has had a very fortunate - even charmed - life.

Oh, no doubt about that.

Even among legendary baseball players he has been fairly blessed. How many players play basically a full season every year from 20 years old to 40 years old? That is what the what-ifs about Griffey imagine. You are almost bound to miss some time at some point, whether it's at 31-34 like Griffey or you're out of the game at 37. Players like Mays who stick around for 20 years and get a shot to play every day for basically all of those years are quite rare indeed. Even Hank Aaron was a <400 AB player three of his last four years.

This makes me want to grab a Nats schedule and head over there the next time the Reds are in town. I haven't seen Griffey live and in person in years.

Congrats on 600!

BTW, those old Mariners teal jerseys were da bomb! They need to bring those back.

My favorite player of all time (apologies Cal), and the finest baseball player I have ever seen. I had the privilege of meeting him in Seattle back in the 90's, and he is one of the classiest people you will ever meet.

I had never heard that story. What a classy guy.

I had never heard that story. What a classy guy.

Yup. :) Griffey was there after having hamstring surgery in 2005 and he and Brian met at the doctor's office before Brian had his elbow surgery (the same doctor did both surgeries IIRC). I believe Junior was having a checkup and Brian was checking in to get ready for his surgery. They met, became friends, and Griffey kept up with him for quite some time after that and it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that they still talk from time to time. I don't know if there will ever been another one like Griffey Jr. although I've heard his 13 year old son Trey is a pretty great athlete too so you never know! :D

Archived