Orioles Sign Ryan O'Rourke

wildbillhiccup

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I like his little bump start and his gritty, Friday Night Lights demeanor.  Nugget

Wilson is a guy I've been wrong about, I liked him to carve out a backend rotation spot, but it looks like he at least needs a fresh start somewhere else.  He's always had good control, good enough stuff, and I thought the command would come along enough, but it never did, especially for his secondaries.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Wilson is a guy I've been wrong about, I liked him to carve out a backend rotation spot, but it looks like he at least needs a fresh start somewhere else.  He's always had good control, good enough stuff, and I thought the command would come along enough, but it never did, especially for his secondaries.

See, I thought it was the control as well as command that doomed his little guy nothing fastball. 

7 minutes ago, weams said:

See, I thought it was the control as well as command that doomed his little guy nothing fastball. 

You are right, it was fastball command mainly now that I think more about it.

I think I was just having mental images of not getting guys to chase and then having to throw his fastball.

32 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

It's a shame because he is practically the only guy in the entire system who throws strikes.

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I dont see where a guy who may not pitch until June is the way to start your offseason. We are coming off a pathetic season. Fans deserve better at this point, not the same all  bullXXXX this guy has been shoveling at us since the Toronto debacle. Fans on this forum have lost faith in many cases for this offseason. Moves like this adds to the despair. Just my two cents.

Why do minor league signings "add to the despair"? Every team makes these kinds of signings, as most of us realize. The Orioles never claimed this was a big move. They never said, "Perfect, we've got O'Rourke in the fold. Now we can pack it in for the winter."

No big-name free agents have signed anywhere. The only signings happening right now are minor league guys. There's going to be plenty more to come, for the Orioles and every other team.

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

It will be interesting to see if he has success in another organization, though I never had the sense that the O’s tinkered with him much.    

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe he needs some tinkering?

Hard to say.   To me, his big issue is that his command isn’t quite good enough to get by with the kind of stuff he has, but there’s nothing unusual about his delivery that causes that issue.    In any event, I’ve always liked his demeanor on and off the mound and I hope he finds success somewhere (but not in the AL East, please).   

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It will be interesting to see if he has success in another organization, though I never had the sense that the O’s tinkered with him much.    

I just don't think he's a major league piece unfortunately.  He overachieved to get as far as he did, but for his sake I hope his finds success elsewhere.

Fun fact: His UVA teammate Danny Hultzen was drafted 2nd overall in 2011 and didn't make it past AA, Wilson was drafted 305th overall the same year and has thrown 145.1 MLB innings.

9 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I just don't think he's a major league piece unfortunately.  He overachieved to get as far as he did, but for his sake I hope his finds success elsewhere.

Fun fact: His UVA teammate Danny Hultzen was drafted 2nd overall in 2011 and didn't make it past AA, Wilson was drafted 305th overall the same year and has thrown 145.1 MLB innings.

Hultzen’s family lives in my neighborhood.   His dad is a neonatologist who saw my daughter right after she was born.    I never knew their son was “that” Hultzen until shortly before he was drafted.   He was on a fast track to the majors but a serious shoulder injury derailed his career.    His family has a long line of doctors and always wanted him to go to med school instead of playing baseball anyway.   I’m not sure if he’s pursuing that now, or not.   

11 hours ago, weams said:

I never know which Dipoto moves are going to work out either. 

That guy is the blithering moron we complain DD is. 

8 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

If you like strike throwers, I'd imagine you are following Alex Wells's career.

Tyler Wilson never had the control with his other pitches that Wells is showing. 3 pitches that he can command and control where he wants is normally what makes a good ML starter. He's my age at 19, so the velocity that he's showing will most likely increase as time goes on. Around his age 21-22 season, he could have very good velocity as he bulks up with more muscle. 

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

That guy is the blithering moron we complain DD is. 

Tyler Wilson never had the control with his other pitches that Wells is showing. 3 pitches that he can command and control where he wants is normally what makes a good ML starter. He's my age at 19, so the velocity that he's showing will most likely increase as time goes on. Around his age 21-22 season, he could have very good velocity as he bulks up with more muscle. 

Wells was 20 all this season, not 19.    I’m still a big fan and hope you’re right that he may pick up another 1-2 mph as he matures, but I think he has a decent chance to succeed event if his velocity stays where it is, so long as he continues to hone his repertoire and his command translates to the baseball they use in the majors.  

Archived