Orioles may have a chance to snag talent from those hated Yankees

Luke-OH

So this is a bit pre-mature, but I can update this once the Yankees 40 man roster is set.

The rule 5 draft is coming up, and the Yankees have a lot of talent that is eligible for the draft.  They currently have two open 40 man spots, they may be able to clear more, but right now it's 2 spots.

These are the interesting rule 5 eligible guys I found (with a short blurb), there are probably other candidates as well so feel free to add to this.  I linked the names to the player's fangraphs page.

Gleyber Torres - WILL BE ADDED TO THE 40 MAN, one of the top prospects in baseball

Domingo Acevedo - ALSO WILL BE PROTECTED, top 100 type prospect

Thairo Estrada - very likely to be protected, if not, he's a must take.  21yo in league average hitter or better in AA, can stick at SS.  Orioles could use as Utility, might be better than Wilkerson now (due to defense), probably profiles as a regular eventually.

Albert Abreu - also very likely to be protected, like a better pitching version of Santander.  He'd be hard to carry all year, but is a legit prospect, and would be worth it to acquire him.

Nestor Cortes - Built like Keegan Akin, also a lefty.  Stuff is underwhelming, again like Akin with less arm strength, but has good command and great feel for pitching.  The fastball is only 90 but looks like an invisa-ball or something.  Puts up awesome numbers, worth a shot to compete for a backend rotation spot.  Could be one of those soft tosser who surprise every year.

Cale Coshow - Massive reliever with big stuff, great fastball, solid change and slider.  Results haven't matched the stuff.  Could likely be stashed as a middle reliever, has a history as a starter.

Jonathan Loaisiga - small guy with a big arm, missed time with injuries, has some real potential but far too raw to hang onto all season.

Stephen Tarpley - maybe my favorite target, the former Orioles has remade himself as a softer throwing reliever (weird, I know)  but he turned into a GB machine this season.  Everything moves, and he throws a tailing low 90's fastball, an above average biting curveball, a solid slider, and mixes in a change-up as well.  He command looks to be average or better and he eats up lefties.  He would probably benefit from time to face more advanced hitters, but he looks put together enough to handle the jump as a LOOGY with a chance to be a set-up type piece in the future.

Billy McKinney - COF who can really hit, not really room for him on the roster, unless you want to start Hays in the minors and then send Santander down once he gets his 45 days.  Might get traded or protected. But if not, may be worth the roster crunch to add this talent.

Mark Payton - lefty 4/5th OF candidate, can play CF. Similar profile to Rickard, might be an upgrade.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Nestor Cortes could be a pick up for the 4th or 5th rotation spot, since he is a lefty and could be worth a flyer atleast.

I'll wait until after Monday to go thru the list of who all is available though, since these things are crapshoots.

Only looking at the Yankees because there is tons of buzz about how they are going to protect all of their talent.  They'll need to trade or DFA 3 people just to protect Abreu, McKinney, or Estrada who would be top 20 prospects in pretty much every system (except maybe the Braves).

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

Only looking at the Yankees because there is tons of buzz about how they are going to protect all of their talent.  They'll need to trade or DFA 3 people just to protect Abreu, McKinney, or Estrada who would be top 20 prospects in pretty much every system (except maybe the Braves).

Maybe we'll get lucky and they will screw up. Or get caught screwing up International signing stuff and lose their players to free agency, like the Braves. B|

Maybe they will get rid of that "Bettances" fellow to create space.

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the Yankees, who are already better than us and are about to get out from under the salary cap, have a slew of players in the minors that are good enough to make our team.

Whoopee!

Yep, while the Orioles system is in the best shape it's been in awhile, the Yankees system is better and deeper.  It's hard to compete with a system that has added tons of talent by trading players near the peak of their value and adds talent through the international market.  They've drafted well too, especially with late round finds.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the Yankees, who are already better than us and are about to get out from under the salary cap, have a slew of players in the minors that are good enough to make our team.

Whoopee!

The Rule 5 is designed for exactly these circumstances.    I bet several of these guys get picked by other teams.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm aware.

Just the difference in talent is pretty staggering.

Yep.   A lot of the gap is the international talent the Yankees possess.   Five of the ten players listed in the OP were international signings (though not all were originally signed by the Yankees).

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

The Yanks moved Ronald Herrera to Texas to open up another spot.

So now they have room to protect two of the Abreu, McKinney, Estrada group. Probably at least one more move coming, I wouldn’t want to leave any of those three exposed, pretty much guaranteed to get taken.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:47 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Nestor Cortes could be a pick up for the 4th or 5th rotation spot, since he is a lefty and could be worth a flyer atleast.

I'll wait until after Monday to go thru the list of who all is available though, since these things are crapshoots.

Here's an interesting article on Cortes.  https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/8/19/16173110/the-mysterious-success-yankees-lhp-prospect-nestor-cortes-continues-in-2017  

Archived