2017 #14 Prospect Jomar Reyes - 3B

Luke-OH

By: Chris Slade

Jomar Reyes - 3B

6' 3" 220

Bats: R Throws: R

2017 Teams: Frederick (A+)

Most Likely Major League Role: Platoon 1B/LF (45)

Ceiling: First Tier Regular 1B/LF (60)

Floor: AAA Depth (35)

Background: A Dominican Republic native, Reyes signed with the Orioles in 2013 for a $350,000 bonus, one of the largest the team has ever spent on an international player. He quickly established himself as a top 20 prospect due to his raw tools and solid showing for the GCL Orioles in 2014. Reyes continued to impress in 2015, holding his own as one of the youngest players in the SALLY League, batting .277/.336/.437 with 5 home runs over 345 plate appearances for the Shorebirds. Reyes was named a mid-season All-Star and an organization All-Star at the end of the year. Unfortunately, Reyes took a big step back in 2016, struggling mightily to produce on a consistent basis.  Pitchers found holes in his one plane, stiff swing and as the season wore on he failed to make adjustments. Overall, he batted just .228/.271/.336 over 489 plate appearances with 10 home runs.

2017: Reyes spent most of the first half on the disabled list thanks to a self-inflicted broken wrist after punching a wall out of frustration. When he returned though, he posted a much stronger batting line of .324/.354/.443 than he did in 2016, albeit over a 224 plate appearance sample.

2017 stats (Fre)

AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS: .324/.354/.443/.797

PA: 224

H: 68

2B: 11

3B: 1

HR: 4

BB: 9

SO: 34

RHP Slash: .314/.341/.423/.765

LHP Slash: .352/.390/.500/.890

GO/AO: 1.83

Scouting report (now and future)

Hit: 35/50

Power: 40/60

Speed: 40/40

Def: 40/45

Arm: 60/60

What we know: Reyes still has some of the best raw power in the organization, but has struggled to date to show that power during game time. His bat speed is above average, but his swing tends to get long at times. He showed improved barrel control in 2017, but still struggles to recognize spin and make adjustments within an at bat. Defensively, his lateral movement is poor and he doesn’t come in on weak grounders well. He's got decent hands though and a cannon for an arm, but he doesn’t have much range and his footwork on throws can get out of whack causing them to sail occasionally. He'll most likely grow out of the position and will need to move to first base or possibly an outfield position which would put more pressure on the bat.

What we don't know:  Is he capable of improving his pitch selection and having a better plan at the plate? He performed better when healthy this year but is he ready to handle the jump to AA or will he have to repeat High-A again? Will he outgrow third base long term and is he a candidate to move to Right Field to take advantage of his arm or will he be relegated to first base? Will he be an asset at those positions if he does end up there?

Summary: Coming off a terrible season in 2016, Reyes is a prospect we hoped to see strides from. Unfortunately, he unnecessarily cut his season in half due to punching a wall which raises some character concerns. While he improved significantly in the batting average department, there are still concerns about his plate discipline and long term power development. He’s still young but there’s a long way to go here if he’s to reach his ceiling as a potential middle of the order bat. He likely doesn’t stay at third base long term and may not have the foot speed to play outfield even if the arm plays there. So, if he does end up at first base down the road, there will be extra pressure on the bat to produce. He showed enough to keep him ranked in the top 20 but needs to put in a full year of work next year and start showing he can retain instruction and improve as a hitter.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

With Mountcastle likely to be slated for 3B at Bowie, what do you do with Reyes — return him to Frederick or move him to a different position?

My guess is he starts the year in Frederick again. He needs to take the adjustments he made in the instructional league and take them into games next year. Can he take that BP power and turn it into game power finally? When he starts to do that they can consider a move to Bowie. By that point they may be ready to see if Mountcastle can play some LF.

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Good question.  The O's seem pretty stubborn when it comes to position changes. Guessing Reyes starts at Frederick at 3B.

Most neutral observers don't think either is a future ML 3B.

I need to see more of Reyes at 3B, but I saw flashes from him there.  I think he has a similar chance of sticking there as Mountcastle (which is less than 50%, but not impossible), he adds value with his arm, and he looked to be more agile and in better shape than he has in the past.

11 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

When Reyes came back from his hand injury, he was (visibly) in better shape and seemed to move better at third. If he stays at Frederick next season, I hope he doesn't regress. 

Not sure what it is worth, but he has been at 3rd in the Dominican Winter League this off season.

I'd love to see him in Bowie, I think challenge is good for a guy of his talent.  Yeah, it's tough with Mountcastle at 3B as well but maybe they can figure it out, maybe try Reyes in RF and DH/1B him some.

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

I'd love to see him in Bowie, I think challenge is good for a guy of his talent.  Yeah, it's tough with Mountcastle at 3B as well but maybe they can figure it out, maybe try Reyes in RF and DH/1B him some.

What about something like:

RF 70%
3B 20%
1B/DH 10%

Is moving around that much damaging to his development?  Or is keeping looks at him from a positionally-flexible standpoint more beneficial?

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

RF 70%
3B 20%
1B/DH 10%

Is moving around that much damaging to his development?  Or is keeping looks at him from a positionally-flexible standpoint more beneficial?

I'd think that would work, I'd want to get him a little more at 3B though, because I think he's got a chance there. I don't know, some guys aren't bothered by it, some guys it could affect.  I'm not some how he'd respond.  In general, I think positional flexibility is good for guys who aren't locks to stick at a given position. 

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

RF 70%
3B 20%
1B/DH 10%

That is similar to the role given to Garabez Rosa. If the feeling is that he won't stay at 3rd, there shouldn't be a harm in moving him around early to get as much work with him in a new position. Though it *could* negatively impact his hitting, but you don't know until you go and see how it works.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

On MLB's offseason leagues that has stats for Orioles playing winter ball, I don't see Reyes listed.   Can you tell me where you got your info?

I saw his name show up at 3rd during one of the early Winter League games when I was browsing. Came in later on after someone got pinch hit for. Didn't have an at bat. Don't remember seeing him after that, but I wasn't checking the scores that much.

I'll try and find the box score when I get home.

Just went back thru and checked a bunch of games and don't see it. Maybe I just saw "Reyes" at one game and the name stuck, or it gave me an old box score when I searched, or something. Who knows. I'll take the blame on this one for not following up on Reyes (and the Winter League overall) that much as I want to (and should.)

FYI, here is where I get my info: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/league.jsp?league=car

What site did you see the stats for all the Winter Oriole players? It would be a whole lot easier than checking every box score, especially in situations where players are sent to a different team or removed from the roster when they shuffle them around a bit.

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Just went back thru and checked a bunch of games and don't see it. Maybe I just saw "Reyes" at one game and the name stuck, or it gave me an old box score when I searched, or something. Who knows. I'll take the blame on this one for not following up on Reyes (and the Winter League overall) that much as I want to (and should.)

FYI, here is where I get my info: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/league.jsp?league=car

What site did you see the stats for all the Winter Oriole players? It would be a whole lot easier than checking every box score, especially in situations where players are sent to a different team or removed from the roster when they shuffle them around a bit.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/

Then just click on the Bird.

On 11/22/2017 at 8:52 AM, Frobby said:

With Mountcastle likely to be slated for 3B at Bowie, what do you do with Reyes — return him to Frederick or move him to a different position?

I want to see Reyes just get a change of scenery and get to Bowie.  Leave the stuff that's happened in Frederick behind.  Even if it means him rotating with Mountcastle or Reyes playing some 1B.  

Archived