Take a look at the Frederick box score so far...

Frobby

Billy Rowell:

Bases empty: .183/.244/.293 (.538 OPS)

Runners on: .331/.395/.468 (.863)

It's also worth noting that Rowell has shown a significant inprovement in July/August.

His BA is now up to .246 and he posted a .745 OPS in July and a .748 OPS in August.

I'm glad he's heated up a bit. On the whole, he had a few good streaks in 2008 (including the one he's on now) but also had some horrible cold streaks. Hopefully in 2009 he finds some consistency.

Essentially, his 2008 season as a 19-year old is equivalent to Brandon Erbe's 2007 season as a 19-year old -- disappointing, but not enough to revoke their top prospect status considering how young they were for the league. Erbe has regained most of his status after a repeat at Frederick as a 20-year old; hopefully Rowell does the same next year.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not disappointed in Rowell's year at all. I think he is doing fine - putting up a .750 OPS in the last two months of the season is fine by me for his age. We can go back and look at posts last offseason, but I expect the disappointment will lie with those with inappropriate expectations to start with.

I expect Rowell will show up with some new maturity and strength and play several levels above where he is now from the start of next season. I would be disappointed if Rowell spent all of next season at Frederick.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Kjerstad does not have to play every day for him to be here.  He should be able to start 3+ times a week. He’s hitting right now so I would get him in the lineup immediately and see if there is any carry over from AAA.  
    • They needed to replace Hays and he's already on the 40. I don't think it goes much deeper.
    • A lot of people didn’t like this signing.  It was a few bad outings last year but otherwise, he was very good. He will have some bumps in the road but he’s a very capable guy still.
    • I agree. It has to be anticipating Mountcastle being out a little longer, maybe they will IL him too if his knee doesn’t improve quickly. But if Hays is out the minimum 10 days (one of which already passed), maybe Kjerstad gets 3 starts from Mountcastle and 1-2 from rest days for others, available to pinch hit the rest. That wouldn’t be so bad. 
    • I trust the O’s and Elias’ handling of him.  Similar to Decosta and the Ravens, they seem to make more good decisions than other clubs do.     I think he can work it out at the major league level if they do.  Wouldn’t be worried if he got sent down to regain some confidence.
    • I don’t see Wells coming back to the rotation. That was never the plan to begin with. Also, I’m not sure it’s a given that Means can make effective starts at the Bug League level right now. He’s been legit terrible against AAA hitters on a pretty consistent basis so far this season. Now Bradish on the other hand, if he can return, he will probably bump one of Suarez or Irvin to the pen (the one who is pitching the worse).  If Suarez keeps performing (I don’t think his current level is realistic to expect) but at a good level for a back end starter, he stays.
    • Remove Bradish and I will maybe agree. To me this guy is destined for the pen, where hopefully his swing and miss stuff plays up even more. Could be an important piece, but I’m not getting my hopes up too far after two appearances.
  • Popular Contributors