C Martin Cervenka selected in AAA portion of rule 5

Roll Tide

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So who out of this group would you not protect?

Staters - (11) Bundy, Cashner, Cobb, Harvey, Hess, Means, Oritiz,  Ramirez, Rogers,  Yacabonis, Tate.

Relievers -  (15)  Araujo, Bleier, Carroll,  Castro, Fry. Givens, Gilmartin, Hart, Meisinger, Phillips,  Scott, Wright,  Flaa, Kline, Luis Gonzalez

Catcher (4)  Cervenka, Joesph, Sisco, Wynns

Infielders ( 6)    Beckham,  Davis, Nunez,  Valera, Villar, Wilkerson

Outfielder ( 6) Hays, Mancini, Mullins, Rickard, Stewart, Santander

DH (1) Trumbo

Rule 5 Draft (2)

Total (45)

Flaa, Gilmartin, Hart, Wright, Joesph, Valera, Araujo (I know they'll keep him on the 40 since they bothered to hang onto him all year, but he's expendable IMO).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What protects him from the MILB portion of the rule 5 draft?  Does he have to be on Norfolk or Bowie’s active roster?  

There is a AA and AAA reserve list for the MiLB portion, it will be pretty easy to protect him from that. That's where they could lose a Yaz or Feliz type. 

23 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Flaa, Gilmartin, Hart, Wright, Joesph, Valera, Araujo (I know they'll keep him on the 40 since they bothered to hang onto him all year, but he's expendable IMO).

Gilmartin has earned a spot.  They will protect him.

Valera was someone the traded for and has shown good defense, good speed and a bat that may play in the majors.  He will be protected.

Araujo only has 17 days before he can to in the O's minor league system.   He will be protected.

Wright will be interesting.  He is Brady's guy and Brady will stay.  I hope the let him go but who knows.

Flaa will be showcase in the AFL,  If he plays well he will probably be taken in the draft if not protected.  He is on the bubble.

Wright is interesting.  He is Brady's guy and Brady is staying.  I hope they will let him go but that is not a sure thing.

Joseph I am sure there are those in the organization that want to keep him to mentor the younger guys.   I think he may non tender him because they don't want to pay his arbitration price but they may re sign him sometime this off season.  If they don't have him they probably have to add a veteran catcher.

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

There is a AA and AAA reserve list for the MiLB portion, it will be pretty easy to protect him from that. That's where they could lose a Yaz or Feliz type. 

Well they’ll probably have him on the AAA roster come rule 5 time. Yaz should leave. We are giving Gentry and Andreoli looks over him in a 110 loss season. 

8 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I think they should.

But also depends what they want to do next year. 3 "rookies" with Cervenka, Sisco, and Wynns on the 40 and a veteran (Caleb on a minor league deal?) would be interesting.

Might also show how they feel about Sisco or Wynns.

Caleb is gone. 

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

The O's should protect Yaz on the AAA reserve list.  Sign him to a AAA contract and invite him to ST.  The O's need the outfield depth.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Valera was someone the traded for and has shown good defense, good speed and a bat that may play in the majors.  He will be protected.

Araujo only has 17 days before he can to in the O's minor league system.   He will be protected.

Wright will be interesting.  He is Brady's guy and Brady will stay.  I hope the let him go but who knows.

Flaa will be showcase in the AFL,  If he plays well he will probably be taken in the draft if not protected.  He is on the bubble.

Wright is interesting.  He is Brady's guy and Brady is staying.  I hope they will let him go but that is not a sure thing.

Joseph I am sure there are those in the organization that want to keep him to mentor the younger guys.   I think he may non tender him because they don't want to pay his arbitration price but they may re sign him sometime this off season.  If they don't have him they probably have to add a veteran catcher.

How? By throwing 88 and walking almost as many as he strikes out? He's served a valuable purpose on the injury riddled pitching staff over the last month or so, but if you are looking for value going forward, he's not the guy. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wright will be interesting.  He is Brady's guy and Brady will stay.  I hope the 

If you want me to trust the process, then you have to stay consistent. Consistency with dumping O’day would mean not bringing back the expensive arb guys. Beckham, Joseph, and Wright. Not only does that save money, but it gives us 40 man roster flexibility.  Which is important to protect our guys, make waiver claims, and to pick up guys from other orgs that have a 40 man roster crunch. 

A team coming off a 110 loss season, staring down another one, should not have a 40 man roster with no flexibility. Protect the players that could be here in 2020, get rid of the rest. 

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

How? By throwing 88 and walking almost as many as he strikes out? He's served a valuable purpose on the injury riddled pitching staff over the last month or so, but if you are looking for value going forward, he's not the guy. 

I guess you are talking about Wright.  I don't want to keep him but does Brady?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

The O's should protect Yaz on the AAA reserve list.  Sign him to a AAA contract and invite him to ST.  The O's need the outfield depth.

They may, but they had every opportunity to give him a look this season and chose not to, kind of tells me what they think of him. I'd like to see him get some MLB action, even if it's brief, he's sure paid his dues. 

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

They may, but they had every opportunity to give him a look this season and chose not to, kind of tells me what they think of him. I'd like to see him get some MLB action, even if it's brief, he's sure paid his dues. 

The O's need for outfielders never rose to the point that they needed to add Yaz to the 40 man roster.   But he  played well at AAA this season and would be good depth if they can find a way to keep him without putting him on the 40 man  roster.   They only have Mancini, Mullins, Rickard and Stewart that are ready for opening day next spring.  Its not certain that Trumbo will be ready for opening day.   Yaz could find his way on to the 25 man roster with a good spring.

27 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm talking about Gilmartin, I bolded that part of the quote.

Gilmartin has a 2.88 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP.  He out pitched almost everyone on the roster.   He is a lefty.  He was a #1  draft choice and the O's think they found something with him.  He has a option left for next year.  They will protect him.

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If you want me to trust the process, then you have to stay consistent. Consistency with dumping O’day would mean not bringing back the expensive arb guys. Beckham, Joseph, and Wright. Not only does that save money, but it gives us 40 man roster flexibility.  Which is important to protect our guys, make waiver claims, and to pick up guys from other orgs that have a 40 man roster crunch. 

A team coming off a 110 loss season, staring down another one, should not have a 40 man roster with no flexibility. Protect the players that could be here in 2020, get rid of the rest. 

Wright is not arbitration eligible..

Archived