Britton Out 6 months per Rosenthal

Rene88

16 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Ok Zach, obviously this is you. You don't need to use a pseudonym on this board, you could just use your real name. Yes, we are sorry you got hurt, but we are not going to just give you 10m to make you happy.

Actually, that poster can't be Zach.  Zach has already stated that he realizes that he may be cut.  Heck, he probably expects it.  Players realize this is a business.  No players will blame the Orioles if they cut Zach Britton.  Just like no players give money back to their teams if they fail to produce or can't play in the last years of their contracts.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, HelenaEngineer said:

Yes, but even if only Boras remembered that could cost a lot more than $10 million in lost opportunity to sign his clients. I have been reading for years on this board how free agents avoid the Orioles because they have a tendency to fail broken down, sore armed pitchers on their physicals, and now I am supposed to believe that no one will remember that they saved a chunk of money, of course nowhere near enough to make a substantive difference in the overall long term makeup of their team, by cutting a player who has been one of their top players over the past several seasons and was injured while working out. They will get blistered by ex-players, agents and all sorts of talking heads if they do that, while some bean counter fantasy guru will sing their praises.

Baseball contracts are guaranteed. No Free Agent is going to avoid signing with the Os because some arbitration eligible player got injured and released. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I thought O's were taking offers and rebuild is still under consideration? I am so confused about the plan this offseason. Maybe there just isn't one.

The fan based has decided he has to be traded.

DD listened to offers, and I suspect the lack of the deal, there was not any serious offers.

IMO

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Zach works out at the Boras facility. 

Encina had this to say:

Britton had spent the past several offseasons working out at the Orioles’ spring training facility in Sarasota, Fla., where he owned a home. But shortly after a trade deadline deal with the Houston Astros broke down in the 11th hour, Britton sold his Sarasota home and this offseason planned to work out at Scott Boras’ facility in Southern California as well as work out with vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson, with whom he had done in the past.

I dont understand the need for some posters [not you] play the blame game.

Sometimes things just happen.

1 minute ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I hope the Orioles release Zach. The Orioles have a business to run and releasing him is the best thing for the team. This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. The Orioles have plenty of money now to improve the starting rotation.

If they're willing to go 4-5 years at a market salary, they could sign some decent SP. DD has said they wont do that anymore. 

39 minutes ago, HelenaEngineer said:

Yes, but even if only Boras remembered that could cost a lot more than $10 million in lost opportunity to sign his clients. I have been reading for years on this board how free agents avoid the Orioles because they have a tendency to fail broken down, sore armed pitchers on their physicals, and now I am supposed to believe that no one will remember that they saved a chunk of money, of course nowhere near enough to make a substantive difference in the overall long term makeup of their team, by cutting a player who has been one of their top players over the past several seasons and was injured while working out. They will get blistered by ex-players, agents and all sorts of talking heads if they do that, while some bean counter fantasy guru will sing their praises.

Then maybe they can reach an injury settlement with him. 

Look, I’m sympathetic to what you’re saying. But no reasonable person could expect the Orioles to bear 100% of the risk on an as-yet-undetermined, mostly non-guaranteed contract. Especially when Britton was the party in the best (only?) position to minimize the risk. 

Maybe they could pay 60 days of salary instead of the 30 days they’re required to pay if they release him. Maybe they could arrange to keep him around the franchise this spring and summer by paying him a bit to act as a roving bullpen instructor for the minor league teams in the area. They could get creative with it, if they want to.

But what they really shouldn’t be doing is paying the man the full $12M when odds are he probably won’t pitch at all to earn it. Not when the rules of engagement clearly stated from the beginning that they don’t have to. There’s a fine line between fair play and just plain bad business. 

1 hour ago, HelenaEngineer said:

So 10 million is probably a bit under 1% of the team's value and maybe somewhere around 3% of the annual revenue. I would sacrifice 3% of my annual salary if I thought it would keep my business reputation intact. If you don't think players, including current Orioles and potential future free agents look at how teams treat their players, then by all means, save that 3%. I suspect the long term cost in terms of players avoiding you, particularly his current teammates, would be considerably greater. They are human beings, not some sort of fantasy draft and they make judgments based on how they see people treated. If life was like OOTP or Strat-O-Matic, it would be an easy call.

Why are these arguments always so skewed to the side of the poor poor (millionaire) players.

The O's paid Britton 10+ million dollars last year to be injured and when not injured ineffective.

Now the ethical thing to do is pay him 12 million to rehab from another injury?

Who is represented the poor family of four who can't afford 4 tickets to attend a game?

This injury should be a bit of good fortune for the O's. I for one didn't believe that Britton would be all that effective in 2018 (already battling chronic knee and shoulder injuries), Now they can release him and recoup some payroll.

If they gave the 12 million back to the fans in free promotions... would that make it the ethical thing to do?

14 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

If they're willing to go 4-5 years at a market salary, they could sign some decent SP. DD has said they wont do that anymore. 

Yeah I don't have faith that releasing Britton = starting pitching. They've already missed out on some of the really affordable 2nd-tier guys who would have been a smart investment. They've already ruled out the top tier guys. They'll sign somebody because they have to and they've stated at least one pitcher will come via FA, but I don't see them as suddenly going out and breaking the bank on SP.

Archived